Did we help OR mislead you in any way?

Fredr

Hello,

Over several years I have tried to answer questions to the best of my ability and knowledge.

It is rare, however, to hear back from those who posted questions. And to me at least, it is important that I hear feedback from those who have traveled here, gone on their cruises and now are safely home.

Please let us know if the answers to your questions were beneficial as follows:

Ground transportation between Southern California airports and the cruise terminals.

Hotels...the good, bad or indifferent

Rental cars...did the traffic bother you and was it worth it in terms of time and hassle (if any) to rent a car.

Sightseeing...what did you see in Southern California that you really enjoyed seeing, or overrated (interesting but not that special) or a real waste of time?

Money...did you spend more or less money than you planned for or expected to pay? To me this is very important because there are many ways to save here but I have not gone into details very often.

Please add any other comments you would like.

Many have added comments about hotels and so on but we really need more travelers to respond, so that those of you planning will have as much help as we can provide to you.

Now is this about your postings or CC in general

Hello,

Excellent question. I would like feedback on California (San Diego, Los Angeles area, Long Beach area including San Pedro , and San Francisco). I provide help on other topics but others are much more knowledgeable for example about Barcelona, Venice, Florida and so on.

Southern California is my home and I want to make sure that whatever advice or suggestions I make are both accurate and helpful.

Hello,

Excellent question. I would like feedback on California (San Diego, Los Angeles area, Long Beach area including San Pedro , and San Francisco). I provide help on other topics but others are much more knowledgeable for example about Barcelona, Venice, Florida and so on.

Southern California is my home and I want to make sure that whatever advice or suggestions I make are both accurate and helpful.

I always thought San Francisco was in Northern California:confused:

Hello,

Jiffy, there is a small group of responders who try to answer questions about California. Mr. Curtis Wild, Cruisin Chick, BruinSteve, Kenish (primairly Orange County ), Splinter (San Diego), Unaa? (San Francisco) amd Jen (Southern California).

And yes, San Francisco is in Northern California! I respond to questions about San Francisco and the Bay Area because I lived there for several years and I still have a lot of family who live there. To see family and travel, my DW and/or I have gone to the Bay Area at least twice a year, for almost 38 years.

I agree it is always nice to get feedback from users of the information we provide. I am not looking for "thanks" but it is interesting to find out what people found about recommendations we have made ....I think that is in the spirit of what these boards are about...an exchange of information.:)

Putterdude - You were MOST helpful to me last July when we were going B2B on the Diamond Princess to Alaska. You directed me to Quick Shuttle which was perfect to Vancouver and back to Seattle. You also gave me directions to the wonderful White Spot on Granville in Vancouver for dinner. You also provided some wine shopping advice. You helped make our trip just perfect. Thanks so much!

Hello,

Over several years I have tried to answer questions to the best of my ability and knowledge.

It is rare, however, to hear back from those who posted questions. And to me at least, it is important that I hear feedback from those who have traveled here, gone on their cruises and now are safely home.

Ground transportation between Southern California airports and the cruise terminals.

Hotels...the good, bad or indifferent

Rental cars...did the traffic bother you and was it worth it in terms of time and hassle (if any) to rent a car.

Sightseeing...what did you see in Southern California that you really enjoyed seeing, or overrated (interesting but not that special) or a real waste of time?

Money...did you spend more or less money than you planned for or expected to pay? To me this is very important because there are many ways to save here but I have not gone into details very often.

Many have added comments about hotels and so on but we really need more travelers to respond, so that those of you planning will have as much help as we can provide to you.

Good post. I too wonder what people think of the advice we give. We don't all always agree and we have different opinions but we do try to help. We offer different ideas and it would nice to know what people did and how it went.

Jen in SoCal

I remember when Pamangela (I hope that's correct) posted some details and photos after her stay in Studio City.

It's too bad we can't have stickies for each area. That way, we can post the main details of the hotels, airports, etc. that the locals recommend. Maybe that will eliminate many of the duplicate threads in which the same info is repeated. (yes, I know, many new to CC don't notice the stickies or don't know how to search, and just start a new thread -- ever notice how many "I'm going on the (ship) on (date). Anyone joining us" threads on the help section?)

When our visitors return home and are writing up their review of their cruise, they can also go to the relevant sticky and say thumbs up or down or give a number rating for their hotel.

I always thought San Francisco was in Northern California:confused:

And yes, San Francisco is in Northern California!

Now that depends on your perspective.........people from Humboldt County (far Northern California - almost to Oregon!) claim San Francisco is part of Southern California!:eek::D

But to keep this on-topic;), yes, it is nice to hear what people thought of a recommendation. Most of the threads Curt Jerome Wild starts that deal with a specific hotel, service, or tour, have feedback added as people stay there or use the service and then report back on their return. Hopefully people are finding those threads - I wish the moderators would make some of them a "Sticky" so new readers could find them easily.

• 2 months later...

Fred, I can't answer these questions because I have a lot of relatives in S. CA and vist quite often. I just wanted to jump in and say that you and the others made cruising very easy for me. I knew what to expect and was not nervous or confused about anything. That is a big deal for me and you are much appreciated. I sometimes felt more prepared than my SIL that has cruised three times!

• 4 weeks later...

I have not asked for any info, but since I found this post I will instead of starting a new post. We are flying into SNA 2 days before our cruise and want to stay in the Huntington/Laguna/Newport/Irvine area, beach front would be nice but not really necessary. We have been to the area before but stayed with our daughter on base when she lived there so no hotels. We do not need a really fancy hotel since we will not be spending much time there, but want clean and not run down. Any suggestions around $100-125 range? Thanks

Hello,

We have used Prime Shuttle to Long Beach and will be using Super Shuttle and Execucar to San Pedro for this upcoming cruise due to the discount coupon and suggestions on Cruise critic.

Hotels...the good, bad or indifferent;

Stayed at Coast Hotel a Long Beach which was a great value and perfect pre-cruise hotel for the Carnival cruise. Will stay at Crowne Plaza this weekend. Won successfully (finally) on Priceline but not for as low a cost as often reported. Rack rate for me was $137 vs. PL $95. I can definitly live with that saving.

Hubby has driven in SO. Cal before and I will spare him that on vacation.

Loved Long Beach marina area including Parker's Lighthouse restaurant and touring the Queen Mary. Highly recommend the free or nominal cost Trolleys.

Saved money on the recommended hotels with breakfast included, airport shuttles and local trolley transportation for touring.

- Thanks to one and all. I learn new things all the time and love to share my experience as well.

Thanks Fred, bruinSteve and everyone on our roll calls and these great boards.

Archived