Do you think that I can disembark and make it from FLL to Sanford in 6 hrs?

nickhull

We are taking my wife's van to go from Pa to Ft Lauderdale. I am playing with the idea of catching the Amtrak Auto Train on the way back.

My cruise arrives back at 8am on 8/8 in Ft Lauderdale. The chances of us self-disembarking are slim to none.

We would need to be in Sanford/Orlando by 2pm in order to get on the AutoTrain.

I'm kind of concerned that there isn't enough buffer time to transfer between the two.

Has anyone tried to do this? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Sounds like no way to me. How would you get back to Orlando, you would have to get a shuttle or rent a car, both of which will take a little more time.

I would never cut it that close and I lived in S. Fl for over 13 years.

If you wait for them to call your number, it could well be 9:30 am, then you still might have to wait at customs, and look for your luggage, all takes more time. Iv gotten stuck behind a out of the country person in customs who took almost 30 minutes, they finger printed him and I dont know what all.

Well, I guess you could do it, if you dont hit any back ups on the toll ways, dont stop to eat or gas up and no delays thru customs. The ships here out of galveston, every so many cruises, the ship personnel have to go thru customs holding things up, so you have to pray thats not your week.

Its doable if you dont make any wrong turns.

Im a worry wart... but I drive with a hot foot.

We are taking my wife's van to go from Pa to Ft Lauderdale. I am playing with the idea of catching the Amtrak Auto Train on the way back.

My cruise arrives back at 8am on 8/8 in Ft Lauderdale. The chances of us self-disembarking are slim to none.

We would need to be in Sanford/Orlando by 2pm in order to get on the AutoTrain.

I'm kind of concerned that there isn't enough buffer time to transfer between the two.

Has anyone tried to do this? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Do take the FL Trnpk up if you do this. Tell the guest services the day before you have an early departure flight and try to get priority disembarking. Outside of not having to drive back to PA what's the time and cost difference doing the AutoTrain versus 2 people sharing the drive duties gas, hotels etc.?

Do take the FL Trnpk up if you do this. Tell the guest services the day before you have an early departure flight and try to get priority disembarking. Outside of not having to drive back to PA what's the time and cost difference doing the AutoTrain versus 2 people sharing the drive duties gas, hotels etc.?

I mentioned the toll roads too. There is no chance of making it otherwise. The regular roads dont cut across at enough angle to keep the driving time down enough to make it.

I wouldnt chance it. Get a hotel in Orlando and go the next day on Amtrak and enjoy Fl a extra day.

It's about $500 for the auto train. The drive would be about $300 or so - not too much difference... however we would probably need to burn an extra vacation day or take unpaid leave and that runs about $x00 a day for the both of us.

Excellent advice on the priority disembarking. I've never had to do that before.

Archived