Embassy Suites NY Financial Dist.

gehrandt

Has anyone stayed at the Embassy Suites in the New York Financial Dist.? Any thoughts?

Its a good location -quiet at night and an easy cab ride to the Red Hook Cruise terminal...I had a party there and it was fine.

If you want to do stuff in Manhattan I think this is better than the Brooklyn Marriott. There is more to do in the area of the Brooklyn Marriott at night and its less expensive to get to the Red Hook pier from the Brooklyn Marriott. Because you have to through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel(toll) to the cruise terminal the cab will be a little more(about $20 in total) but that shouldn't make that much difference.

Has anyone stayed at the Embassy Suites in the New York Financial Dist.? Any thoughts?

It's an Embassy Suites, so you know what to expect. But it is in "no man's land" for NYC. It's is really located in Battery Park area not the Financial District (which btw is a sleepy area as well). Not much action going on there.

But it is in Manhattan so it will be better choice for you if you're planning to go out to restaurants, bars, shows, etc.

It's an Embassy Suites, so you know what to expect. But it is in "no man's land" for NYC. It's is really located in Battery Park area not the Financial District (which btw is a sleepy area as well). Not much action going on there.

But it is in Manhattan so it will be better choice for you if you're planning to go out to restaurants, bars, shows, etc.

Actually, that is my favorite part of Manhattan so for me it isn't no man's land. It is however outside of all the really touristy areas.

We are staying there one night pre cruise in Sept. We will leave from the NY cruise terminal on 9/11/10. I am curious to hear what everyone has to say about this hotel. I am a little concerned about getting a cab from the hotel to the cruise terminal on 9/11 and hoping that traffic isnt blocked off due to memorial services, etc. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

We are staying there one night pre cruise in Sept. We will leave from the NY cruise terminal on 9/11/10. I am curious to hear what everyone has to say about this hotel. I am a little concerned about getting a cab from the hotel to the cruise terminal on 9/11 and hoping that traffic isnt blocked off due to memorial services, etc. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

in a word oy vey. The downtown area on 9/11 goes through a lockdown and it will be hard for cabs to get there. It won't be closed to the Tunnel but the cabs won't easily get there. BUT by 1 all the activities are generally over but it will mean cutting close to get to the cruise terminal. Do I know this absolutely for sure? No... but I will bet you will find few people who stay there on 9-11 who don't plan to attend the ceremonies....and few who ever then went to a cruise from that area.

Do you have any other hotel suggestions without staying in or near Times Square? We are trying to avoid that area as hubby doesn't want to be anywhere near there. We had thoughts of going to Battery Park and using the Staten Island Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty. Also wanted to see the Financial district and Wall St. and Bowling Green area. I may have to re-think this plan....but this is the only week we can cruise. Any ideas...anyone?.....Would there really be a possiblilty that taxis would not be available? When I made our reservations the gal told me to call for a cab about 1 or 2 hrs before we needed one.

Do you have any other hotel suggestions without staying in or near Times Square? We are trying to avoid that area as hubby doesn't want to be anywhere near there. We had thoughts of going to Battery Park and using the Staten Island Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty. Also wanted to see the Financial district and Wall St. and Bowling Green area. I may have to re-think this plan....but this is the only week we can cruise. Any ideas...anyone?.....Would there really be a possiblilty that taxis would not be available? When I made our reservations the gal told me to call for a cab about 1 or 2 hrs before we needed one.

You don't call a cab. You call a car service. In NY a cab(a yellow cab with a meter) picks up street hails-or from a taxi line. They aren't called in advance. A car service(almost always a black colored car although they can be any color but yellow) is by pre-arrangement and called. They normally charge slightly more although the ones you get through most hotels can charge a lot more(they kick back to the hotel). But they will have the same problem getting there on 9-11 that a yellow cab will. You can stay anywhere outside the area and still take the subway...which remains open on 9-11 to anywhere you want. Subways are easy without luggage. With luggage they aren't. There are a number of hotels in Soho and Chinatown that are outside the frozen zone that will still have no problem with a cab and relatively easy access to the cruise terminal-over the Manhattan Bridge during the 9-11 period.

There is a new Doubletree in Chelsea that is a good alternative and not in the Times Square area. this is a centrally located area(near the eight avenue subway). If you are going to use it get directions from me to the cruise terminal first. A cab should also be in the $25 range to the cruise terminal...

On 9/11 there is the possibility that a taxi or car service will not be able to get to your hotel. Why take the risk? You can easily take the subway to Bowling Green from other areas of Manhattan. If you get a hotel near 34th Street around 5th/6th it is quiet but you can walk to many subway/bus lines. Just an idea.

Thanks to all of you for helping me out with this one! I will research the Doubletree Chelsea, any other suggestions will be appreciated. I think I knew this date may be a little hiccup but I am very flexible in planning. Just want somewhere that is safe and easy to get around NYC as we only have a day & 1/2 there. We are not afraid of subway or taxis or even buses. Keep your ideas coming and thanks so much for your info!

Sombrero6 - What is your hotel budget? Would you consider using Hot Wire or PriceLine? I'm seeing a 3 1/2* hotel in the Empire State area that could be the Radisson Martinique. On their website the hotel is $199 - good location close to Macy's, ESB, and the subway.

I checked out the Doubletree Chelsea and am looking into the Radisson Martinique. I budgeted about $250.00 nt for our stay. The Embassy Suites would have been $275.00. Any advantage of choosing one over the other? Costs are about the same. Will be flying into LGA so will need transportation to hotel and then to Manhattan Cruise Terminal....Thanks everyone!

I checked out the Doubletree Chelsea and am looking into the Radisson Martinique. I budgeted about $250.00 nt for our stay. The Embassy Suites would have been $275.00. Any advantage of choosing one over the other? Costs are about the same. Will be flying into LGA so will need transportation to hotel and then to Manhattan Cruise Terminal....Thanks everyone!

from LGA take a yellow cab cost about $30-35 per cab to the hotel. From the hotel to the Manhattan cruise terminal about $15.00 from any of them. The Manhattan cruise terminal's car entrance is at 55th street and 12th avenue(hint to save a few dollars have it stop on the uptown side of 12th avenue opposite your ship and walk across the street-carefully with the light. personally I spend the extra dollars and have them take me right in front....

either hotel is fine although the Radisson is a better location.

I have been doing some reading and research and have decided to stay at the Radisson Martinique. Great info from all of you, re: subway, transportation from LGA and to the cruise terminal. I think I would have made a BIG mistake by staying in Lower Manhattan. We can take the subway down to the financial district, if we choose, however I think we will arrange for a bus tour to hit some of the popular attractions. I knew I could count on all of you with your suggestions. Now I hope this hotel is a good one!

When you get back please give an update :) We've got reservations there (one suite for 4 adults) and also at the Gild Hall (slightly lower per room rate but would need 2 rooms).

Have a great trip.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a new Doubletree in Chelsea that is a good alternative and not in the Times Square area. this is a centrally located area(near the eight avenue subway). If you are going to use it get directions from me to the cruise terminal first. A cab should also be in the $25 range to the cruise terminal...

How far is the Doubletree from Times Square? Is it walkable? What's the neighborhood like?

How far is the Doubletree from Times Square? Is it walkable? What's the neighborhood like?

This is a good neighborhood. Its at 29th street and off 6th avenue.

http://doubletree1.hilton.com/en_US/dt/hotel/NYCCLDT-Doubletree-Hotel-New-York-City-Chelsea-New-York/index.do

Its close to Macy's. which is at 34th street and 6th avenue.

42nd street starts at 42 nd street and broadway at seventh Avenue, so its slightly less than a mile.

Its eminently walkable if you are in any walking condition at all. Its mostly level at this point.

You might want to look at Hotel 373. It's located by the Empire State Building. It's a smaller "boutique" style hotel. The rooms are small but very clean. I recommended it to a co worker and she loved it.

Archived