Wine Card Still Exists?

TMWeddle

A word of advice when you pre-order the wine card. I did this for the first time on my Noordam cruise last November. The order form asked if I wanted the card delivered to my dining room table on the first night, or my cabin. I said my dining room table, since I wouldn't need it until then, and I thought it would give me a chance to meet the wine steward when he delivered it, and I could introduce myself.

Sounds like a plan, unless you don't get your choice of fixed dining. I got festival seating instead, so there was no table to deliver it to. It took me until the evening of the 2nd day to track down the card, and I was already behind in my drinking. :D I was forced to drink 2 martinis in the interim until the card could be located.

Long story short, ask to have the wine card delivered to your cabin.

Roz

We have only traveled on Disney Cruises and there we buy a beer stein and get it refilled for the price of the smaller glasses. Does HAL have something like this or a beer card instead of a wine or cocktail card?

No such thing as a beer card (maybe when the new card system is introduced? :confused:). The closest you can come to it is the "bucket o' beers". You get (I think) 6 beers for the price of 5, served in an ice bucket.

You don't have to drink them all at once!

The 10 glasses are 41.40

20 glasses are77.63

10 signature cocktails 64.69

20 sodas 20.70

I think this is great.I will have all our drinks paid for before we sail.Nice touch from HAL

When I called HAL guest services, I was advised that the 10 Signature Cocktail Card was good for the drink of the day only, not whatever cocktail you want.

Not sure if that was good or bad info - so just did $65.00 of on board credit instead (gift for DH from DS).

Debbie:

They told you wrong. The cocktail card is good for any "Signature Cocktail" which cost $6.75 plus 15% gratuity without the card. It is not worth using on the Cocktail of the Day because there is little savings. It is also not good on premium brand drinks or during two-for-one hour.

Magicrat,

The price per pour with the wine card includes the 15% tip, so it's cheaper than purchasing individual glasses of wine. With the 10-pour card, each glass (including tip) is only $4.14. I don't know the exact price of 1 glass of house wine, but I assure you it's more than $4.14.

Hope this info helps. I bought a wine card for the first time on my last cruise, and would do it again if I were on a cruise that's 10 days or longer.

Roz

Debbie:

They told you wrong. The cocktail card is good for any "Signature Cocktail" which cost $6.75 plus 15% gratuity without the card. It is not worth using on the Cocktail of the Day because there is little savings. It is also not good on premium brand drinks or during two-for-one hour.

I kind of thought that might have been the case, but DH likes Crown Royal, so maybe it would not have worked anyway??

Glad to hear the wine card is still in existence. My last two cruises on Holland America were 20 and 19 days, and I bought a 20 punch card each time. Now I'm going on a 10 day cruise in February and if they didn't have the wine card, I might just skip the wine with dinnerand they'd probably lose my revenue. I'm no connoisseur, so the house wine is fine with me.

Another good thing is that any unused punches can be carried over to your next voyage if you hang on to your card. That makes more sense than trying to consume all your remaining drinks the last day onboard.

Something else: If you wait until the first evening meal onboard to purchase your card and then buy it from your wine steward you'll get better pours for the rest of the voyage. It has worked for us on every HAL cruise.

Another good thing is that any unused punches can be carried over to your next voyage if you hang on to your card. That makes more sense than trying to consume all your remaining drinks the last day onboard.

That possibility may not last too long. Rumor is that the various cards are on the way out, and will be replaced with an all-purpose card that is cruise limited.

So, you can take your chances, or you can drink up! :D

Debbie:

Hi there, just wondering what is a "Signature Cocktail?" I like vodka/tonic and fancy martinis...just wondering what type of drink a signature is! Thanks for the info!

Elaine

Hi there, just wondering what is a "Signature Cocktail?" I like vodka/tonic and fancy martinis...just wondering what type of drink a signature is! Thanks for the info!

Elaine

I used my cocktail card for all types of martinis, but you cannot request a premium vodka or gin.

To confirm what Willsot just said, you may use the cocktail card for a martini made with the house gin or vodka (on my last cruise it was Gordon's), but if you want Beefeater gin or Grey Goose vodka, don't bother with the cocktail card.

Roz

I used my cocktail card for all types of martinis, but you cannot request a premium vodka or gin.

Oh goodie....since I like the cosmo-type martinis I don't need to have the premium - can't wait!! We sail from Venice 4 months from tomorrow...oops, I guess you didn't ask that!! :):):) Thanks for the info!

...you may use the cocktail card for a martini made with the house gin or vodka (on my last cruise it was Gordon's), ...

Wish I knew the rest of the alternate lyrics for The Sweetheart of Sigma Chi, but all I know are the last couple of lines---

She thinks Gordon's Dry Gin makes the world go 'round;

She drinks more than you and I.

And the girl of my dreams is not what she seems,

She's the sweetheart of six other guys.

Can anyone help me out with the rest of the lyrics?

(It's Roz' fault for mentioning Gordon's Dry Gin.)

Ruth,

That's an oldie but goodie! I can remember my mother singing it, but don't recall all the lyrics.

Roz

I know the original lyrics, of course, but want and need to add the alternate lyrics to my little collection. Yes, besides chocolate, I also collect alternate lyrics to songs. Have some real cute ones in my collection.

And some that cannot be posted in a widely-read forum. :o

Magicrat,

The price per pour with the wine card includes the 15% tip, so it's cheaper than purchasing individual glasses of wine. With the 10-pour card, each glass (including tip) is only $4.14. I don't know the exact price of 1 glass of house wine, but I assure you it's more than $4.14.

Hope this info helps. I bought a wine card for the first time on my last cruise, and would do it again if I were on a cruise that's 10 days or longer.

Roz

I think the only glass of wine you can get for 4$ is Plum Wine(so sweet)

Oh goodie....since I like the cosmo-type martinis I don't need to have the premium - can't wait!! We sail from Venice 4 months from tomorrow...oops, I guess you didn't ask that!! :):):) Thanks for the info!

Their grapefruit cosmos are quite good.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a 20 pour wine card aboard the Eurodam last fall with no tax.

As a certified unsophisticated wine drinker (Trader Joes 2buck chuck and Rite Aid brands) I found he wines met with the approval of my picky palate and were flat out enjoyable. I used the wine card at dinner and in all the lounges.

Debbie:

Never heard of 2 for 1 hour. When is this and where.. definately interested...it is vacation after all and I am not driving...lol:D

Never heard of 2 for 1 hour. When is this and where.. definately interested...it is vacation after all and I am not driving...lol:D

Just our experience, but each bar will have a varying time for Happy Hour (2 for 1 drinks). The time/location will be listed in your daily program. Also, when we missed HMC one day, they added extra happy hours and made announcements to say so. You need to get both drinks at the same time, in our experience. Even cans of soda were 2 for 1. We would order a couple to go and have in our room on occasion.

And, oh, do you know we actually witnessed one couple storm out of the Ocean Bar once because they were ticked they could not get 2 glasses of wine for 1 punch on their wine card?! They left the chairs swinging at the bar. The bartender tried to explain that the wine card was already discounted so not eligible for further discounts, but they left in a huff anyway.

Archived