Voyager horizon suites

old grump

Question for the board! I realize the rear vibration is a known issue, but my question is; does deck height make a distance? The aft suites are on decks 6 thru 10. DW and I are looking at a early 2011 trip with a lot of sea days and the large balcony is appealing. third trip on Voyager( favorite ship) but always before in PH B.

I'll try. Since the vibration is apparently caused by something to do with the hull or, more accurately, the bottom of the hull, then distance from the cause(hull) might lesson the vibration. If so higher would be better!

But, just general curiosity now. Just about decided to go thru the canal on the mariner.

We were in the Horizon suite deck 8 corner room. We wouldn't trade it for another room. Large wrap around deck was great and the vibrations didn't really bothers us. It causes rattling in the ceiling tiles and the door but we wedged some paper in the right spots and that fixed it. It was never bad enough the cause a shaking in the room. Remember deck 10 is right below the Verander Restaurant and you lose privacy and might be noisey.

Deck 10, is nice, bigger decks on 1055 and 1054 (I think the biggest decks). The noise for LeVeranda, there was some, and the loss of privacy never was not a bother. The biggest bother, was that they would wash the deck on the LeVeranda outside seating (directly above) and the water would run off onto the 1055 cabin veranda. The loungers that were delivered to the suite for the large deck (per request) were drenched every morning from the run off.

Would book these cabins again, no problem.

We were in a Horizon suite on deck 8, and some of our friends had one of those big ones on deck 10. Unfortunately, our itinerary was one where the ship cruised fast (20+knots) so the vibration was really more of a shaking! Our friends suite on deck 10 was actually worse than ours on deck 8.

But we are talking about really beautiful suites here, so I can see while cruisers are interested in them despite the vibration (or shaking) problem. I think the key is to chose an itinerary where the ports aren't very far apart, and where the distance involved in sea days (if any) will be short enough to allow for cruising at lower speeds. And if lower speeds are possible, Regent WILL slow down -- to conserve fuel. And if Regent slows down, vibration will be minimal and shaking will be zero.

Our problem was that ours was a 10 day LA to Ft. Lauderdale Panama Canal cruise. If you look at a similar itinerary with a map of it, you will see that the ship has to cruise pretty fast to make it -- thus creating the vibration problem. But if you look at some of the itineraries and maps when the ship is putting around the Med. you can easily calculate that the ship will cruise much slower on such a route -- thus the probability of no real vibration problem.

That being said, while the stern of the Voyager may not vibrate or shake on a "slow" cruise, there will always be more wave action motion at the stern or bow than in the middle. And the higher the deck, the more pronounced this gets.

We were in a Horizon suite on deck 8, and some of our friends had one of those big ones on deck 10. Unfortunately, our itinerary was one where the ship cruised fast (20+knots) so the vibration was really more of a shaking! Our friends suite on deck 10 was actually worse than ours on deck 8.

But we are talking about really beautiful suites here, so I can see while cruisers are interested in them despite the vibration (or shaking) problem. I think the key is to chose an itinerary where the ports aren't very far apart, and where the distance involved in sea days (if any) will be short enough to allow for cruising at lower speeds. And if lower speeds are possible, Regent WILL slow down -- to conserve fuel. And if Regent slows down, vibration will be minimal and shaking will be zero.

Our problem was that ours was a 10 day LA to Ft. Lauderdale Panama Canal cruise. If you look at a similar itinerary with a map of it, you will see that the ship has to cruise pretty fast to make it -- thus creating the vibration problem. But if you look at some of the itineraries and maps when the ship is putting around the Med. you can easily calculate that the ship will cruise much slower on such a route -- thus the probability of no real vibration problem.

That being said, while the stern of the Voyager may not vibrate or shake on a "slow" cruise, there will always be more wave action motion at the stern or bow than in the middle. And the higher the deck, the more pronounced this gets.

I'm glad that you made this post. So many people say that the vibration is not a big deal -- they do not realize that it can be really annoying!

Hello we were on the Voyager in Dec 09 from Rio ..Vibration is not a big thing..BUT the after end will get what ever there is as over the props which is what cause it..The least vibration and movement will always be in the Main resturant and Gally area by design..By the way super ship and staff we will be back soon..

Hello we were on the Voyager in Dec 09 from Rio ..Vibration is not a big thing..BUT the after end will get what ever there is as over the props which is what cause it..The least vibration and movement will always be in the Main resturant and Gally area by design..By the way super ship and staff we will be back soon..

Good to hear your positive thoughts on Voyager and staff.

My personal experience in an Horizon suite and aft PH is that on my trips any vibration was minimal. But I do know of someone who found it unbearable and had to ask to be moved.

Was it on the same cruise? If so, it needs to be noted that the vibration or shaking (when present) may not effect the entire stern with equal severity. I am not enough of an engineer to even guess why this is.

No. the complainant was on a transatlantic, Funchal to Fort Lauderdale, which is a crossing vulnerable to the shakes. My experiences I would liken to those vibrating beds (25 cents) I have had in motels on occasions in the USA. A good laugh, but no more than that.

I see, thank for the info. In our case, the problem was not like a vibrating bed that didn't need quarters. We had that situation once on the Navigator, and I never even spoke of it when I wrote my review of that cruise on CC.

No, what we had on the Voyager caused everything in the room to rattle, and items to fall to the floor from tables!

If your friend was on a crossing, I can guess that the ship was at high speed, perhaps due to some delay, wind conditions, current flow, or the like.

If your friend was on a crossing, I can guess that the ship was at high speed, perhaps due to some delay, wind conditions, current flow, or the like.

I wouldn't disagree with you. I can only wish to offer my opinions based on my personal experiences in aft suites.

Over the years , thousands of words heve been written on the subject of vibrations on Regent ships. Suffice it to say that each deck at the blunt side (aft) of every ship will experience vibrations. Much the same as my sports car rumbles along with motor noise.

So either one can enjoy it - helps me to sleep, or it's a blooming nuisance - water over the bridge from La Veranda.

New cruisers can expect vibrations on most ships with pods at the back end, sorry, the blunt end.

Neville, Martha and I have now switched from the Dec 01 SF-Auck on the Voyager to the Jan 11, 2011 mariner FLL- Lima. Had a early Dec we could not get out of. But the next trip on the Voyager will be in a Horizon suite. I like the chance to try the 25 cent beds:), vibration wise, sure not price wise.

Hi I've been on both Deck 10 and Deck 8, Horizon Deck in the past two years. I thought the vibration was far more noticeable on deck 10 then deck 8. You get used to it rather easily, but, no lie, I watched a glass of wine lieterally shake. If it had been a martini, James Bond, would have been impressed. However, deck 10, directly below La Veranda, was much nosier. Every morning, around 6:30am, I woke up to the clip clop of the hostess' high heels on the hard floor of th erstaurant. No big deal but I made sure to book a lower deck the next time.

We just disembarked from Voyager in San Diego. We loved our 1060 suite and would book again, or maybe 960. Lack of privacy not a problem although Veranda Restaurant above. It was a great place to view the Canal crossing as well as the high seas. We weren't bothered by the vibration -- and, in fact, kind of missed it when we got home! Would lmost definitely book back of the ship and high up again!!! Xerxes' better half

I have been in Horizon suites on both the Voyager and the Mariner through the Panama Canal. I prefer the Mariner Horizon Suites over the Voyager.

Who wouldn't? They are a completely different class of suite and much more expensive. Would that I could afford one.

I have been in Horizon suites on both the Voyager and the Mariner through the Panama Canal. I prefer the Mariner Horizon Suites over the Voyager.

Anyone would prefer the Mariner Horizon suites over the Voyager;) However, their "deluxe" suites are considerably smaller on the Mariner than the Voyager. We would only sail on the Mariner if we could get a minimum of a Horizon suite (which is why we almost always sail on the Voyager and Navigator).

Archived