Explorer of the seas questions

Hello Everyone - we just booked a 5 night Bermuda trip in May and have some questions:

• Is a promenade cabin roomy enough for two adults? Any comments on your experiences would be helpful.
  • What night is formal night on this 5 night itinerary?
  • Are there designated smoking areas (we are not smokers so prefer to avoid these areas)?
  • What is pricing like for beer, wine, and mixed drinks?
  • Would love to hear about experiences in Bermuda and things to see and do - DH and I are the types who like to explore on our own when we vacation.

Thanks so much - looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Hello Everyone - we just booked a 5 night Bermuda trip in May and have some questions:

• Is a promenade cabin roomy enough for two adults? Any comments on your experiences would be helpful.
  • Are there designated smoking areas (we are not smokers so prefer to avoid these areas)?
  • Would love to hear about experiences in Bermuda and things to see and do - DH and I are the types who like to explore on our own when we vacation.

Hello!

I can only comment on the promenade rooms as we have stayed in them on the Mariner and also have one booked for the explorer in a couple weeks. In our opinion they are plenty roomy enough for the two. We have plenty of space and are not "tiny" people. The bowed window with the seat makes it seem even more roomy. The window also makes it convenient to see the parade(s) when they have them.

Oh, and make sure you close the curtain on the window if you don't want anyone to see in...

Enjoy your cruise!

A promenade room, while tight, will be ok for 2 adults. Don't expect LOTS of room!

Formal night is night 2.

Outside, there will be smoking areas....usually Starboard side, and you'll see the ashtrays.

Beer and cocktails cost about what they do on land..$3+ for beers (domestic) and $5.50+ for cocktails....foo-foo drinks are more and give you less "bang" for your buck!

Go to the library, get a book on Bermuda and read up on all there is....it will set you well ahead of the crowd if you know about your port!!!!

Formal night on the Explorer Bermuda cruise is the 2nd night (evening of the 1st sea day). Smoking is restricted outside and inside - I believe it is the starboard outside on deck 4 and 11. OK on private balconies and in some but not all bars. Not in the dining room, theater, or other open public areas.

You will have 1 full day and most of the next day in Bermuda. The ship docks at Kings Wharf which is at the northwest end of the island. Plan for lots of transportation time. I got together with some folks from the M&M and we took a taxi tour of the island. That worked out well. We got to lots of places and got dropped in Hamilton in the afternoon - took the ferry back. Heard lots of complaints from others about lines to buy bus/ferry tickets, crowded buses and long bus rides - the ferry or cab really seems to be the way to go. And as always there were the folks who rented motorscooters and had accidents. The ship dinner on the full day in Bermuda was nothing special, so if you miss it no big deal. They're trying to develop the Kings Wharf area - lots of wannabe shops and a small beach. I did hear good comments about the museum.

We stayed in a promenade cabin once. The price was right so..... the last poster was right, it is not big at all. The window is a nice added space area, but it is tight.

If you have stayed in a balcony before, you may not be happy. For us it was ok, as it was only a 5 night. I will not do it again, unless I only have to pay port charges :)

Take the ride to horse shoe bay you will not be dissapointed.

drinks are around 5.95-10 bucks depending on what it is and whether or not you are getting a souvenier glass.

for example, the drinks of the day are 8-10 bucks, but that's with a fancy glass...they are less if you get a regular glass.

wine by the glass is approx 6-10 bucks (maybe a bit more for really good wines...)

beer is 4.95-7 and the $7 is for the Fosters 'oil can'

all those are plus 15% gratuity. figure on spending about what you would at a resort or restaurant. I have paid significantly more for fancy drinks in TGIF and places like that, as well as some hotels....i think the drinks aren't bad. We like mojitos and they are about 6 bucks!

Hi jerseygirl79 - we will be on the same cruise. My DH and I will be traveling with my DS and her husband. We will be celebrating our anniversaries; 10 for us and 5 for them. We are both re-married couples so probably a bit older than you newlyweds!!!! I love RCCL - we were on the Voyager in 2005 which is a sister ship to the Explorer so looking forward to this cruise. Have done Carnival and Disney as well - had a great time on all the lines because really your vacation is what you make it.

We had a great time using our 2-day transportation passes when in Bermuda. These are good for all buses and ferries, and I think were $20 pp purchased on the ship prior to arriving. Had no problems with lines or crowded buses. Sure they were full, but heck, they are buses! The scenery is spectacular all around the island. We took the "fast ferry" (this is the earliest one and takes less time)to St. George, walked around, and walked up a hill past the ruined church all the way to Tobacco Bay, which is breathtaking. Then went back to St. George and took one of several possible bus routes to Hamilton, looked around a bit, then took the ferry back to King's Wharf. Another day we just hung around King's Wharf. We were going to take the number 7 bus over to Horeseshoe Bay, about 20 minutes from the pier, but as we had seen 2 beautiful beaches the day before, we never got around to it. Taxis are very, very expensive in Bermuda. Frankly, I could have spent the day just riding around on different bus routes. The scenery is that spectacular! There were maps and schedules available when we purchased our passes at the Explorations desk.

So much to do, so little time. We have been four times and still want to go back. The best mode of transportation is a bus/ferry pass. Take the ferry to St Georges. It's a great little town. Gibbs Hill Lighthouse is nice. You can stop on the way or way back from Horseshoe Bay Beach. Climb the stairs to the top to get a great view of Bermuda, breathtaking! You can also take the ferry to Hamilton. There is a "glass beach" which is where lots of seaglass washes ashore. It is the second bus stop from Kings Wharf, across from the cemetery. I believe it's called Black Bay??

We did stay in a Promenade cabin as it too was the 5 day cruise and we wanted to spend a little less on a cabin. We usually get a balcony. While the cabin was small it was doable. We did miss the balcony though. You will enjoy the promenade cabin, don't worry.

We had a great time using our 2-day transportation passes when in Bermuda. These are good for all buses and ferries, and I think were $20 pp purchased on the ship prior to arriving. Had no problems with lines or crowded buses. Sure they were full, but heck, they are buses! The scenery is spectacular all around the island. We took the "fast ferry" (this is the earliest one and takes less time)to St. George, walked around, and walked up a hill past the ruined church all the way to Tobacco Bay, which is breathtaking. Then went back to St. George and took one of several possible bus routes to Hamilton, looked around a bit, then took the ferry back to King's Wharf. Another day we just hung around King's Wharf. We were going to take the number 7 bus over to Horeseshoe Bay, about 20 minutes from the pier, but as we had seen 2 beautiful beaches the day before, we never got around to it. Taxis are very, very expensive in Bermuda. Frankly, I could have spent the day just riding around on different bus routes. The scenery is that spectacular! There were maps and schedules available when we purchased our passes at the Explorations desk.

Is the "fast ferry" the one that docks right at the same dock as the ships? I almost forgot about that! Also, the "ruined" church is really the "Unfinished" church.;) Did you go up and walk around inside? There is a plaque explaining why it's like that. Very interesting. You're right, that walk up the hill past the church is "breathtaking", literally....

promenade interior room is nice and large enough for two. beware of the people on the other side when drapes are open.

connoisseur club is where cigar smokers go.

bermuda is great for renting mopeds, but be careful. while on moped you can see the entire island, golf is also great.

When in May are you going? DH and I are going on May 8. It will be our first RCCL cruise.

Hi jerseygirl79 - we will be on the same cruise. My DH and I will be traveling with my DS and her husband. We will be celebrating our anniversaries; 10 for us and 5 for them. We are both re-married couples so probably a bit older than you newlyweds!!!! I love RCCL - we were on the Voyager in 2005 which is a sister ship to the Explorer so looking forward to this cruise. Have done Carnival and Disney as well - had a great time on all the lines because really your vacation is what you make it.

jerseygirl79 & supermansgirl..............Have a great time on your cruise. Bring her back on time and in great shape since I board right after you.:D

Morning everyone - thanks for the great information about Bermuda - sounds like there will be plenty to see and do. Cruzinsoulmates, we'll be sure to bring her back in good shape. We did the Voyager several years ago and I absolutely love the layout of these ships, especially the promenade. Going to love having the PR cabin.

Archived