Cozumel Legal System

Mr. Y

I have read your other posts as well..You cannot swim and you are worried about getting arrested in a foriegn country I think you should rethink this vacation..do something on dry land that does not involve water or traveling outside the US....

I know this is an off the wall question, but I want to cover every potential situation that can happen while my hosses and I go on our cruise.

If God forbid one of my hosses gets arrested during our short stay in Cozumel, does anyone know the right way of handling this potential dilemma? Should I contact Carnival officials right away or do I go another route?

Thanks, Gang.

Sounds like your are anticipating trouble already. Care to tell us the rest of the story.

If you are really concerned let me know and I will give the numbers to several ex-pats that are Docs & lawyers on the island who can help you should one of the hosse's asses becomes a little too......assy! In general you should be fine but the guilty until innocent is the law of the land and corruption is normal towards tourist who are unaware that they DO have a Mexican Bill of rights that addresses non-nationals.

Have fun kid!

Thanks gang for all the answers. I don't expect anyone in our group to get arrested, but I want to be prepared for anything. I rather asked an outrageous question than be forced to make a blind decision. I repeat, I do not expect any of my hosses to get arrested. I'm just a guy that prepares for anything.

Thanks again, gang.

From that thread the police were rather corrupt and it turned into nightmare for that family. The cruise ship did not help them at all.

I do not know why you asked that question but breaking a Mexican law is not a smart thing to do.

Taught me never to rent a care in Cozumel.

I didn't know you could ever rent a care in Mexico. :rolleyes:

what is a "hosses"?
I'm thinking "Bonanza" :cool:

IF in doubt, stay on the ship.

As someone has already posted, Mexico uses the "Napoleonic" legal code; US laws do not apply. US car insurance is not recognized south of the border, as any Texan should know. If you plan on renting a car or any vehicle, you need to purchase Mexican insurance, normally available where you rent or any local Sanborns:)

Just not sure myself but I would keep a couple hundies in me cash stash and if being accosted by a popo in Mexico then casualy drop one and say, "Excuse me Sir but I think you dropped something! Now may I be on my way?"

If he lets you go, go directly to the ship!

what is a "hosses"?

1. hoss: one who is a beast that can basically do anything he wants. He is usually loved by all and a ladies man. He could break anyone or anything in half. Hoss is a compliment.

Man, that Stefan is a hoss. He could kill a freshman with one stare down.

beast awesome hosse huge monster

share this

2. Hoss A southern colloquial nickname for partner, a term of friendship.

You betta' get that grass mowed, hoss.

From urban dictionary.

To OP, Best stay OUT of jail. Personally cant imagine going to jail there!

I think it's a great question, whether it was meant as a joke or not.

just as another poster mentioned, they can pull you over for anything they want. they don't need a reason. U.S. laws do not apply there.

So being prepared is a good thing. Many people forget that just because we are U.S. citizens, our laws do not follow us around the globe.

I also don't believe anyone sets out to get themselves arrested, especially in a foriegn country such as Mexico.

I always thought the reason to purchase 100% full coverage through the rental place was if someone hit you while getting gas (for example) that you weren't...what?Not liable for the car damage only? Cops giving YOU the ticket or taking you to jail for someone hitting you?

Is it really common? You've got me spooked to rent a jeep now. I'll be there the 26th with 3 kids and planned to rent a jeep to go around the island

This is actually a good question. I have seen some crazy things happen in Cozumel. Sometimes you're just in the wrong place at the wrong time and something happens to go down. I wouldn't know what to do if a friend/myself happened to have a situation with the authorities there. From what I hear, a couple of 20's will go a long way to saving yourself from a major headache.

The chance of getting arrested without being extremely provoking is remote, between slim and none. The police generally cut more slack to tourists than they do to locals. The same basic laws apply, especially with regard to drinking and driving.

Only if people come ashore with behavior that might be tolerated aboard ship, but never in their home towns nor home countries, that, combined with alcohol consumption and overall arrogance towards officials are recipes for problems. Buy full insurance coverage so no matter what happens nor whose fault, if an accident should happen, even to your parked car, you have walk away from the problem. Drinking and driving nullifies car insurance.

By and large the police will be exceptionally polite, helpful and professional. The very few reported "situations" are most often with people that are magnets for problems wherever they go.

There should be no cause for any concern by anyone.

Archived