The NEW I Work in Port Canaveral Thread!

psblin99

Quick car rental question. Hope this is the right spot ;-) We want to rent a car while in Cape Canaveral so DH, and both DD can go to the Kennedy Space Center. All the rental places seem to close by 6pm, if we want to keep the car later how do we get back to the ship once we drop off the car? Has anyone done this? It seems more reasonable than 3 X $90 for NCL excursion. I checked with a taxi co. $80 round trip. Car rental $32. Has anyone done this. All info appreciated. Thank you

Well, good thing I hadn't booked my hotel, rental car, and flights because we're changing our plans.

As much as I like sailing from Port Canaveral, it really is rather more complicated because of all the extras.

So we're changing to a cruise from Charleston. We can take a 7-night cruise for about the same price as the 4-night plus air plus car rental.

I imagine I'll sail from Port C again some day, but not this year!

Just booked the Hampton Inn for the night before our cruise in January. Any thoughts about what the park-n-cruise situation will be then?

If you are asking about the huge price increase the Port Authority imposed on the off site parking lots, it has been revoked. What might happen between now and January is anyone's guess.

Hi, I was hoping you could answer some questions for us. We heard on here that there is work being done on the terminal at Port Canaveral. How long is the cruise terminal for the Ecstasy going to be down? Some other members have said it was a pain and long lines were created. We cruise on September 24, 2012 any chance all work will be done by then?

Also, we are thinking of LaQuinta Inn and Suites in Cocoa Beach to stay at. What are your thoughts on this hotel? We are renting a car and driving from MCO/orlando int airport.

Thanks for any answers or thoughts.

MECruisin

We have use the CI&S Park and Cruise package many times, and have had no issues with the TO the port shuttle process, since they utilize time slots and are pretty organized, BUT the return process is so chaotic, since there seems to be no organized lines, waiting area, just a bad rush when the shuttle pulls up, that we would like to seek an alternative to returning to the hote/car.

What would the typical taxi rate be for that short trip from the port back to CI&S...I recall a number of years ago, that we did take a taxi back to the hotel, but it seems we were somewhat gouged rate-wise for such a short trip...I can only assume it was because the taxi would rather have a run to Orlando/MCO versus a short trip and then having to get back into the taxi stand line...

Are there any other options also, I may not know about ?

Thanks

David:D

Edited by CHAMPDDS

We have use the CI&S Park and Cruise package many times, and have had no issues with the TO the port shuttle process, since they utilize time slots and are pretty organized, BUT the return process is so chaotic, since there seems to be no organized lines, waiting area, just a bad rush when the shuttle pulls up, that we would like to seek an alternative to returning to the hote/car.

What would the typical taxi rate be for that short trip from the port back to CI&S...I recall a number of years ago, that we did take a taxi back to the hotel, but it seems we were somewhat gouged rate-wise for such a short trip...I can only assume it was because the taxi would rather have a run to Orlando/MCO versus a short trip and then having to get back into the taxi stand line...

Are there any other options also, I may not know about ?

Thanks

David:D

You are exactly right......you were gouged on the return trip because they do NOT want the short trips and this is why......

The day the ships are arriving the taxi drivers that will be allowed in the terminal area participate in a lottery and draw numbers to determine their place in line to pick up passengers. Once they get out of that line they have lost their spot. They all want the airport runs......so any shorts runs to the hotels cost them $$$.

We got this info from a taxi driver who took us back to the hotel. And while she wasn't rude it was very clear why she didn't want to take us. It cost us twice as much that day!!!

However there are some taxi drivers who won't be participating in the lottery and will be sitting in another lot waiting to be called by a passenger. If you can just figure out which cab company would have drivers there you would be much better off. These cabs can ONLY come into the terminal area if they have been called for a pick up.

Hope this helps.....

Edited by GTO-Girl

We don't use taxi's there, so I can't give a first hand answer. We use park and ride, which the Port Authority has also tried to drum out of business with excessive fees.

Check this web site for specific ground transportation info:

http://www.portcanaveral.com/cruising/groundtransport.php

The Port Authority has an exclusive contract

(http://www.wftv.com/news/news/9-investigates-cab-contract-at-port-canaveral/nDLnJ/)

with Triple A cabs to pick up passangers at the terminal.

If GTOgirl's info is correct, I would assume that you could call any company other than Triple A. Do a google search.

How I found out about all of this is on this particular cruise we didn't have an early enough shuttle time over to the ship so we called a taxi. On the way to the terminal the cab driver gave us her card and told us to call her on our return and then she would be "allowed" to come in and pick us up. We didn't think anything about it at the time but unfortunately I somehow misplaced her card during the cruise.

After getting off the ship we almost had to "strong-arm" a cab driver to take us back to the hotel. It was at this time we got the detailed explanation from our driver about why she didn't want to take us, because we were costing her money.

I remember telling my husband "we should have held on to the card from the cab driver we had on our departure morning". At least we wouldn't have been made to feel so bad.

There are a number of cab companies in Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach. I'm sure you could call any of them and find out how to get a cab from the "holding parking lot" to pick you up when you return.

Oh.....and richardb.....my info IS correct because I verified it last year with a local guy who lives there.......:rolleyes: .......

How I found out about all of this is on this particular cruise we didn't have an early enough shuttle time over to the ship so we called a taxi. On the way to the terminal the cab driver gave us her card and told us to call her on our return and then she would be "allowed" to come in and pick us up. We didn't think anything about it at the time but unfortunately I somehow misplaced her card during the cruise.

After getting off the ship we almost had to "strong-arm" a cab driver to take us back to the hotel. It was at this time we got the detailed explanation from our driver about why she didn't want to take us, because we were costing her money.

I remember telling my husband "we should have held on to the card from the cab driver we had on our departure morning". At least we wouldn't have been made to feel so bad.

There are a number of cab companies in Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach. I'm sure you could call any of them and find out how to get a cab from the "holding parking lot" to pick you up when you return.

Oh.....and richardb.....my info IS correct because I verified it last year with a local guy who lives there.......:rolleyes: .......

Sorry if you feel I was doubting your info. I was only making it clear that I couldn't/wouldn't verify it. I think I made it pretty clear in my post that the Port Authority has pretty much locked down the taxi business at the terminal. According to the news article I cited, Triple A (or Triple 8?) paid $200,000 for the exclusive right to pick up passengers at the terminal. They have to make that up someway, and the only way I know is to charge higher fares.

Anyway, I think we are on the same page here.

Can someone tell me if I park at the Radisson, can I get a shuttle to/from the port from them (pretty certain about TO...) ? If yes, does the return trip require a phone call, or does it just run random?

Thanks!

Annette~

Can someone tell me if I park at the Radisson, can I get a shuttle to/from the port from them (pretty certain about TO...) ? If yes, does the return trip require a phone call, or does it just run random?

Thanks!

Annette~

When we used the Radisson Park and Ride in April, the shuttle ran both ways. You don't need to call for the return ride, but they didn't have any signage posted. We had to ask around to find the right spot to catch it. You need to find the person with the clipboard, because it seems to be first come, first served.

When we used the Radisson Park and Ride in April, the shuttle ran both ways. You don't need to call for the return ride, but they didn't have any signage posted. We had to ask around to find the right spot to catch it. You need to find the person with the clipboard, because it seems to be first come, first served.

Thank you Richard. I'll be sure to double check on the way TO the ship ;)!

A~

:confused: How long temporary terminal for Ecstasy?

Hi, I was hoping you could answer some questions for us. We heard on here that there is work being done on the terminal at Port Canaveral. How long is the cruise terminal for the Ecstasy going to be down? Some other members have said it was a pain and long lines were created. We cruise on September 24, 2012 any chance all work will be done by then?

Also, we are thinking of LaQuinta Inn and Suites in Cocoa Beach to stay at. What are your thoughts on this hotel? We are renting a car and driving from MCO/orlando int airport.

MECruisin

MECruisin

Not really sure about the terminal. I suspect it will not change by September. LaQuinta is great and a very good location. I have stayed there. Many food and drink choices close by. Buffalo Shrimp on the pier or anything at Boston Beef! Rent the car from Avis, Hertz, Budget, Thrifty or Enterprise and the will shuttle you to the ship in the morning.

MECruisin

Hi MECrusin. We are on the esctasy riight before you on Sept 20th. I printed my boarding passes the other day and it still said Ecstasy would sail from Terminal 3. I too was hoping the new terminal would be done on time for our cruise....oh well. I guess thats the least we have to worrry about huh?? :D hehe

• 2 weeks later...

I was getting a headache looking for an answer to my questions. I'll just ask it again I'm sure. :)

What is the best hotel to stay at?

Is it easier to use a hotel shuttle to the port or to call a cab or to drive to a pay and park?

Port Canaveral, Freedom, December

I was getting a headache looking for an answer to my questions. I'll just ask it again I'm sure. :)

What is the best hotel to stay at?

Is it easier to use a hotel shuttle to the port or to call a cab or to drive to a pay and park?

Port Canaveral, Freedom, December

OK, My suggestion is either the Radisson or Country Inn & Suites Coco Beach, as your driving, book the cruise package this gives you round trip shuttle and parking during the cruise. I personally like the Radisson.

Is the shuttle to the port crazy or organized for either of them. (Radisson and Country Inn)

Radisson shuttles are plentiful and organized but the people are a different story as they all seem to gather at the entrance regardless of their shuttle time. Country Inn & Suites have few shuttles and last I knew were on a first come bases.

• 2 weeks later...

we have stayed at both country inn and the radisson and used the shuttle, we found country inn to be very organized, you signed up for a certain time and departed on time. The radisson was completely disorganized with people pushing we were over an hour later than our assigned time both times we stayed there.