Quick Summit Questions!

CruisinManiac

Hi,

DH and I are looking at this ship and a cruise (2/13) that has to be booked today (Tuesday Special). We want something quick and cheap. Balcony cabins for $699! However, I have questions and concerns.

Does anyone have an opinion on why we shouldn't take this cruise? I realize that it is Winter Break for some schools in the Northeast, but frankly cannot see many families flying all the way to San Juan to cruise, although there are a few on the Roll Calls. And that's just it, there doesn't seem to be many CC people at all that on this cruise! :rolleyes:

DH and I were on the AOS in early October out of San Juan. The ship seemed to cater to the local citizens of PR, but we made the best out of the cruise. ;) However, we wonder if these February dates are holiday dates for Puerto Rico as well?

Ship Questions:

We have previously been on the Millennium, and to date, it was our favorite cruise.

The last few reviews (with the exception of one) has not been very favorable of the Summit. We realize that food quality (don't care about quantity ;)) has gone down quite a bit on both Celebrity and RCCL, but is it really that bad? What about the ship as a whole. .. is it run down?

Has the Summit been updated lately? What about the bedding now? We had that horrible patch work bedspread on the Millie. :D

Does the Summit have the Solarium and is it free to use? We loved the "roller beds" on the Millie.

Does the Summit have the Aqua Spa dining and is it free? Had this on the Century and loved the food.

Thanks for quick responses.

I sailed on the Summit at Christmas 2008 and am sailing on her again next week.

I think it all depends on how picky you are. I thought she was in OK shape. The food wasn't horrible but I wouldn't call it fantastic either.

We did notice quite a few spanish-speaking people. Since then, I have found out that the cruise lines will run really good deals at the last minute in PR in an attempt to fill the ship.

IMHO, cruising anywhere on just about anything beats sitting at home in the cold!!

Good luck with your decision and have fun if you go. If this itinerary has Dominica, go read the threads at Dominca and consider booking a tour with Beno - we did that at Christmas and it was the highlight of the week! We still talk about what a wonderful day that was and how beautiful Dominica was.

We were on the Summit in Sept for the Med and we thought the ship was in very good condition. They upgrade carpeting, bedding etc while cruising so no there have not been recent big time refurbishing. Our desk chair needed to be replaced as you could tell it was faded. But the bedding was sharp and new. We found the food in the MDR very good. Asking about that is certainly subjective and I would never judge food by what you read here. You'll find some rave about it. A couple saying it is donwright bad. Most expect and get what they expect. There are many choices of foods on the menu. Return something and reorder if not to your liking. We find it very appetizing. The two specialty restaurants are excellent. But we don't always use them.

The reason this will run cheaper is because of the airfare. Not sure if there are any bargains this close to sailing date. I have not done a week from San Juan so can't comment on lots of US citizens from Puerto Rico in these cruises. Not sure what you meant about RCL "catering" to them.

We had lunch in the aqua spa area a couple times. It was healthy and not very busy. Not sure about dinners. DOn't think they offered it at dinner.

The Summit and Millie are pretty much identical. They are sister ships. You will feel at home on it. Sounds like a good rate. Just make sure the air costs and a prenight hotel don't wipe out the savings of the cruise. DON'T book without getting a prenight in San Juan. With winter weather,( and recent security problems) you need to be prepared for cancelations and delays ....seems like even more so this year.

Have you read recent reviews for this ship and itinerary on the member review board?

Just returned from the Jan 2 sailing of the summit. We were six people and for the most part thought the food was fine. I did not like the turkey-too salty and the cajun rib eye steak was poor but everything else we had was good. There was a consensus at our table that the desserts were the weakest part of the menu.

The aqau spa menu is available every day and there is the same indoor pool on the Summit that the Millie has.

It is hard to predict the amount of families. Many northeast schools close for Presidents week at that time. Our ship had alot of Puerto Rican Families. Apparently they do not go back to school until the week after New Years.

No matter what time of year, if the ship doesn't sell out, they offer the cruise to the local people for very cheap prices. On one of our cruises out of San Juan, during a time when school was in session, there were over 700 local kids on board.

I think Summit is in good shape. She's one of my favorite ships.

Speaking as a meat eater, I have found the food on Celebrity to be better than on any other line. The beef entrees in the MDR on the Summit in November 2008 were the best we have had just beating those on the Century (November 2007 and July 2009) and on Azamara Journey (April 2009). In fact they were better than in the speciality restaurant on NCL and as good as the best we have ever had in a land based restaurant.

The Aqua Spa cafe is free to use and we liked to have breakfast there as they had tasty fresh fruit (inc. strawberries).

I would have no hesitation in sailing on the Summit again but doubt I'll get the opportunity as I don't think she is coming back to Europe.

Hi,

Does anyone have an opinion on why we shouldn't take this cruise?

We Just returned from the Dec 19, 2009 Summit and it was great. Go for it.

;) However, we wonder if these February dates are holiday dates for Puerto Rico as well?

Don't know about holiday dates, but there will naturally be Puerto Ricans on board. They will have latin music in one of the venues every night. We never stayed too long there, but had fun watching the dancing a few nights.

Ship Questions:

We have previously been on the Millennium, and to date, it was our favorite cruise.

Same ship. It's in good shape. If you look for problems, you can find them. But, nothing that should bother you.

We realize that food quality (don't care about quantity ;)) has gone down quite a bit on both Celebrity and RCCL, but is it really that bad?

We had the best MDR food of any cruise we have been on. Food may be subjective, but all 10 at our table loved everything except one plate. 69 out of 70 is not bad at all.

Does the Summit have the Solarium and is it free to use? We loved the "roller beds" on the Millie.

I think you are talking about the thallassotherapy pool. And yes it has everything that Millie has.

Does the Summit have the Aqua Spa dining and is it free? Had this on the Century and loved the food.

There is an aqua spa. We ate lunch there three times and found the items to be light and healthy. Mostly, tasty.

If you can get to San Juan for a reasonable airfare, go to priceline and select resort for the pre night hotel usually for under 100, and enjoy.

Bryan

I sailed on the Summit at Christmas 2008 and am sailing on her again next week.

I think it all depends on how picky you are. I thought she was in OK shape. The food wasn't horrible but I wouldn't call it fantastic either.

We did notice quite a few spanish-speaking people. Since then, I have found out that the cruise lines will run really good deals at the last minute in PR in an attempt to fill the ship.

IMHO, cruising anywhere on just about anything beats sitting at home in the cold!!

Good luck with your decision and have fun if you go. If this itinerary has Dominica, go read the threads at Dominca and consider booking a tour with Beno - we did that at Christmas and it was the highlight of the week! We still talk about what a wonderful day that was and how beautiful Dominica was.

Thank you!

No, as I said in my above post, we are not too picky and tend to go with the flow. :) We did Dominica on the last cruise, and had a good time with Reyno Tours. This cruise goes to other ports, of which we have visited all but one (St. Kitts.)

They upgrade carpeting, bedding etc while cruising so no there have not been recent big time refurbishing.

That sounds like upgrading to me! :D How were the beds for comfort, and color of decor? Any photos, or do you know of any recent photos of the ship?

We found the food in the MDR very good. Asking about that is certainly subjective and I would never judge food by what you read here. You'll find some rave about it. A couple saying it is donwright bad. Most expect and get what they expect. There are many choices of foods on the menu.

Yes, that's about how we are. On the Century (2008), I quite enjoyed the chicken for a change. Chicken is not something I normally order when out. Thought I'd try it again on our following cruise with RCCL, and the chicken was awful! :rolleyes: You just never know.

The reason this will run cheaper is because of the airfare. Not sure if there are any bargains this close to sailing date. I have not done a week from San Juan so can't comment on lots of US citizens from Puerto Rico in these cruises. Not sure what you meant about RCL "catering" to them.

We have actually found some reasonable flights from ATL. Hotel can be found on priceline or Hotwire. We stayed at an intown resort last trip, but will not be in town long enough for sight seeing this time. We do plan to eat at Marmelade's again, though. YUM!

The cruiseline will have activities for the Puerto Ricans, that they would not normally have on other U.S. based cruises. Lounges will be closed for functions, or lounges are playing only Salsa (which I love to watch and listen to, but don't dance it.) Announcements made in Spanish...again not a biggy. What did bother us was the casual dress on our last cruise out of there and it wasn't all PR's. Many were European and other passengers from the U.S. Another thing were the "groups" that seemed oblivious to others space. For instance, my DH and I were napping in a secluded area of the ship - no one else around when we were suddenly awakened by loud laughing, etc. and awoke to a circle of Spanish speaking people practically on top of us. Again, there were several vacant areas all around u that they could have congregated, but instead they chose the one spot that we were in. This happened on more than one occasion. It was quite comical, but not very polite.

Have you read recent reviews for this ship and itinerary on the member review board?

Yes!

Just returned from the Jan 2 sailing of the summit. We were six people and for the most part thought the food was fine. I did not like the turkey-too salty and the cajun rib eye steak was poor but everything else we had was good. There was a consensus at our table that the desserts were the weakest part of the menu.

The aqau spa menu is available every day and there is the same indoor pool on the Summit that the Millie has.

I don't think I would order either entree, so I am safe. Desserts seem to always be the weakest.

So, is the Aqua pool area (thallassotherapy pool) free? I thought I rememebered reading that there was a charge for it now.

On one of our cruises out of San Juan, during a time when school was in session, there were over 700 local kids on board.

YIKES!!! We didn't have too many on our last cruise out of there.

Thanks Bryan! :)

Was on the Summit for the New Year's cruise a couple weeks ago. I echo all the good things above. I love the Summit. Doubt if you'll have alot of kids at that time of year. Your comment about the salsa music is correct. We were afraid that's all we'd have in the Rendezvous and although the band was really good, we don't know how to dance it. But there is another band on board which we love, the Elk Island Trio, who also plays in the Rendezvous and other locations. They do play dance music and will take requests. Also the Orchestra will play one night for dancing too.

I loved the bed. I asked for another pillow, an isotonic, I think and I liked it much better. This is in CC class.

No charge for the Thalasso. pool and it was wonderful!

Be happy to answer questions.

Mary

Hi,

Ship Questions:

The last few reviews (with the exception of one) has not been very favorable of the Summit. We realize that food quality (don't care about quantity ;)) has gone down quite a bit on both Celebrity and RCCL, but is it really that bad? What about the ship as a whole. .. is it run down?

Has the Summit been updated lately? What about the bedding now? We had that horrible patch work bedspread on the Millie. :D

I am one of the posters that posted a good review. We traveled as a group of 11 and all of us LOVED the food on the summit and we are definitely foodies and well traveled passengers who like to eat. We had a concierge class cabin and the bed was wonderful. Here's a picture of our cabin.

BG

BG

Yes it's the thalassotherapy pool and it has the roller beds and two hot tubs, adults only and yes it's free!

Yes it is open for breakfast and lunch and is free.

For that price I say go for it! As others have mentioned they frequently offer up deals to the locals, but our ship (December 12) was not overrun by children. We booked our hotel through priceline and got the Marriott Stellaris Resort on Condado beach, where there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance for $95. Great deal and great hotel.

Do not listen to the negative reviews. I agree with the others, that if you look for the negative you will find it. Any cruise is a great one as far as I am concerned. Here is my review for you. Oh, and I recommend Levy's tour on Dominica, Excellent!!!

We just returned from a seven day cruise on the beautiful Summit December 12-19th, for it’s first voyage in the Caribbean this season. This was our first Celebrity cruise, having sailed with Princess and Royal Caribbean this past year. We met up with 9 friends we met last year on a cruise.

We wanted to stay one night prior and post cruise in San Juan so I bid on Priceline and got the Marriott Stellaris Resort in Condado Beach for $95/night plus taxes. This price gets you a city view room and we had to pay $25 to upgrade to ocean view, but it was still worth the price and much cheaper than booking directly with the hotel. There were no resort fees added on at the end, maybe because I am a reward member. The Marriott is a beautiful property in an excellent location, with a great beach and pool area. Within walking distance is many great restaurants. We ate at Tiajuanas for dinner (Mexican), Hacienda for breakfast (great views on the beach and $7 breakfast), and Café Del Angel for Dinner on our return, all very good.

Embarkation: Since this was our first time on this ship, we decided to go straight to the ship after checking out of the hotel (we arrived around 11:20). There was a very short line and this moved very quickly. We were inside the waiting room and in the chairs within 10 minutes, but we had to wait until around 1:00 p.m. to actually board. Apparently they had to clear the ship through customs since they just got back in San Juan for the new itinerary. We booked a concierge class cabin on deck 7 and there was a different check-in line for concierge and suite passengers, that helped us get on the ship quicker. We had a bottle of wine in our carry on and were stopped twice while trying to get on the ship to have it inspected to make sure it was actually wine. Once onboard, we were given mimosas.

After dropping off our carry on luggage in our cabin, we went in search of the buffet and checking out the ship. Note that the swimming pool was not open at this time and we were told it would not open until after sail away, which we found out later was not the case and we missed out on our first day in the pool.

When one of our pieces of luggage failed to arrive I started getting concerned. We finally got a phone call requesting we come down to deck 1 to open the suitcase because the x-ray had picked up liquid. In all honesty, I did have my rum runners in the bag and I was really nervous about being called to the naughty room. I went on down and opened the bag and shuffled things around and said it must be my toiletries which had liquids in them. They said ok and told me to go, but I had to take my own bag to my room. I would probably not try to carry on rum runners in the future on this line. Not worth the stress. Several others in our group also had their bags delayed, and they did not get a phone call.

We had prearranged an informal meeting of our cruise critic roll call at 4:00 in the Martini Bar, because we didn’t know when the cruise connection meeting would be held. It turned out that they held it that same evening at 8:00 because we only had one sea day, Friday (the last day) and they wanted us to get a chance to meet each other. Mimosas and champagne was provided and we got to meet the cruise director and a lot of the crew. Great job Celebrity on this.

Muster drill was at 5:15 p.m. and life jackets were not required.

Ship: I had read a lot of negative reviews on this ship about worn spots, etc. I didn’t see any of this, and I thought the ship was beautiful and well kept and clean. The service was excellent and every time we passed a crew member in the hall way, they would stop what they were doing and say hello and asked how we were. Great job Celebrity with service!

Norovirus: We were told by some other cruise critic friends that were on the TA previous to ours that they had the norovirus on their cruise. We experienced some effects of this when we couldn’t get our own drinks I the buffet area and had to be served by one crew member and wait in a long line. There were also no salt and pepper shakers on the tables and no bread baskets in the main dining room for the first couple of days. Our assistant water told us we were on a “code red” because a couple of passengers on our intinerary were sick, but we never heard anything about that.

Dining: The first night was at our regularly appointed time and no open seating. Since we were a group of 11 they fit us all in on one table for our late dining. We had the most excellent waiter, Marius. He was extremely helpful and funny the entire trip. One of our group liked to order extra plates of the entrees so we could try out different things, and Marius actually took it upon himself to bring us extra items that he knew we liked to try out. The food was extremely good with a great variety. Always available was shrimp cocktail, escargot, new york strip steak, chicken and fish. Great job again on food and service!

Cabin: We loved concierge class and the amenities it provided. After reading the reviews on the canapés, we requested cheese and crackers instead. I had to ask about a pillow menu, which I never received, but did get the kind of pillows I requested. Fresh fruit was provided daily and we had two bottles of champagne. We also had fresh flowers. Our room steward was Jose. He kept our ice bucket filled with ice and the pitcher full of water every day. Our room was always clean when we returned. We particularly loved breakfast on the balcony which we had every day. The concierge class menu is great, with fresh squeezed juice (which you don’t get in the main dining room), smoothies, omelletes, waffles, etc. I have read that some get their table set up on their balcony with linen and served out there, but we just got our trays dropped off.

Specialty Dining: This was everything I had read it would be and definitely worth the $30 cost. Note that the price is going up to $35 after the first of the year. (Still worth the cost in my opinion.) I didn’t have any prior experience to compare, but the food was excellent with some of the best filet mignon, which was so tender you could cut it with a fork. I tried goat cheese soufflé after a recommendation, and loved it and also had the chocolate soufflé and loved it too. We were actually invited back to the Normandie for dessert the following night (for free) and I got to eat that yummy chocolate soufflé again. Thanks Sweet for knowing so many people that we could get included in the invitation with you!

Drink Package: I purchased the frozen drink package at $154 for the week. At $7.50 per drink after tip, I figured it would be a good deal. I didn’t drink anywhere near the amount I needed to break even, since we were so port intensive, but it was nice not to worry about what my bar bill would be at the end of the cruise and having it prepaid. The drinks were good and made to order, not out of a machine. I generally drank the pina coladas and they were made with 151 rum and had a floater of rum on top. I had to give my card and it was swiped to keep track of the purchase, but did not have to sign anything. The drinks did show up on my bill at the end of the cruise with a $0 charge next to them. You could get the drinks anywhere on the ship, including the main dining room and shows. Would definitely do this again, especially if there were more sea days.

Entertainment: Very good, but there needs to be more variety and choices. Most of the shows were of the broadway type, with only one comedy show. Movies were all very old, such as Gran Torino, Slum Dog Millionaire, etc. There were PPV movies in your cabin should you choose to order them, but they were quite expensive. We weren’t on the cruise to watch tv or movies, so this didn’t really bother us.

Excursions: All of our excursions were prearranged well before the cruise and not through the cruise line.

St. Martin. We booked a tour with Bernard so we could see a little bit of the island, go to Maho Beach to watch the big planes land and then go to Orient Beach. The price is right, $40 for a private tour, and $30 for a general tour, which includes transportation and rum punch. Orient Beach is a clothing optional beach, but beautiful. We were dropped off at Pedro’s where we could rent two chairs and an umbrella for $15 which included two drinks and access to the rest room. Orient Beach is beautiful with soft sand beaches. This was a very good excursion and can recommend.

Dominica: We booked a tour with Levy of bumping tours. We had Levy for our guide and most thought this was the best of the islands we visited and excursions. We went to Trafalgar Falls, and Titou Gorge (where they filmed Pirates of the Caribbean II). There was some hiking and climbing over rocks, but a lot of fun. At Titou Gorge you had to get into really cold water, around 60 degrees, and then swim into a cave with a water fall inside. At Trafalgar Falls, you hiked up to a platform to see the twin water falls and if you wanted, you went down to the mineral pools, (this was where you climbed over the rocks) to get to the pools, which were like a hot tub, extremely warm and very nice. Levy was very nice and helpful to those of us who needed help climbing over rocks or getting in the water and through it. At the end we went to Champagne Reef for snorkeling. Cost is $47 with snorkeling or $40 without. Excellent excursion and can highly recommend.

Tobago: There’s not too much to do on this island so we booked an excursion on Island Girl Catamaran for snorkeling which included food and alcohol for $85. While I will give this excursion a very good rating for service on board the catamaran the other aspects need work. For instance they had a small rubber boat to take 6 people at a time to and from the catamaran. When there are 25 people on board, this takes some time. Also, the sea was extremely rough and though we stopped for lunch, some on board got sea sick and we were not able to snorkel due to the water conditions. We went to another area where snorkeling was supposed to be better, but the water was still rough and we couldn’t see anything while snorkeling. I don’t know if the water conditions attributed to the time problems, but we barely made it back in time for the ship, 4:30 (when we had to be back by 4:45). We were all pretty nervous by the time we got back.

Grenada: We prearranged an all inclusive hotel with the Rex Grenadian Resort. The cost is $50 for food and alcohol and use of the pools and facilities. We also arranged for round trip taxi transportation. We also got a day room for $60. This is a nice resort on a nice beach. Drinks were good, so definitely worth the cost.

Barbados: We had been to this island last year, where we took the Silver Moon Catamaran excursion and snorkeled with the turtles. This is a first class operation and is highly recommended. This time we decided to see a little bit of the islands and get some beach time. We decided to use Scenic Barbados tours. It was $30 and we got a tour of the island and went to Accra/Rockley beach. The tour took longer than anticipated and we didn’t get as much beach time as we would have liked. Next time we will go straight to the beach for some relaxation. Barbados is a beautiful island with beautiful beaches. Accra was definitely a wonderful beach, but there were three other ships in port which made it very crowded.

Embarkations: We were assigned a 9:40 embarkation since we were not catching a plane out on Saturday. This was probably the best and fastest embarkation we have experienced. We got a great porter who helped us with our luggage and walked us around everyone standing in line and right up to the front of the taxi line. We had to fill out the form for customs but didn’t have to show our pass ports. Very efficient and smooth.

BG

Go to this site and you will see a lot of pictures of the Summit. Some of them are pretty old though. I don't think they have the plaid bedspreads anymore. Ours wasn't like that. They have probably been updated. They are due to update the televisions on the next go round.

http://www.webshots.com/search?media=photo&query=celebrity+summit+cabin&queryChannel=&sortBy=&source=search_menu

http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/Cruises/Cruise-Ship-Rooms-and-Features/Cabin-6146-Summit-and-other-M/2519696_B9PcP#66395119_mNMSD

kitkat - It was your review that I read earlier today...the only truly positive one. Thank you for answering my questions and the links! Your pics are not showing up. :( When is the "next go around" that the TV's are going to be updated.

BTW - We do not go to Dominica, but did this last cruise.

Okay let's try this again. I have to use photobucket to paste the pictures here. Celebrity has announced they are going to "solstize" their M class ships starting this year with one a year. The plan is to make all the M class more like the solstice class, which will be great. adding more specialty dining, upgrading the tv's and rooms, and a lot of other things. You can check it out on Celebrity's website.

Have a great trip. I know we did.

cabin.jpg

cabin2.jpg

ship2-1.jpg

ship3.jpg

ship4.jpg

Beautiful pictures!

I can already tell that DH will not like the cabin with the TV near the bed. He is a sofa watcher. TV must really be small for your DH to be that close. :D

Anyway, DH is stalling. Tough day at work, so we have not really discussed the cruise. He knows that the special is over at midnight.

Question: If I put a courtesy hold on the cruise tonight, will the price be locked in for tomorrow when we decide? I would put a hold, and then turn the booking over to my TA if we decide to go ahead with it. A lot of the cabins sold today, and last check, there were only several left.

PS - Which would you choose? A Guarantee, or 7031, 7039,8007, 8010, 8011, 8014, 8017?

The TV is pretty small but I have to say we didn't watch much and they have sports on in the casino bar on big tvs. almost all of the channels in our room were spanish only anyways. espn and tnt or tbs and then the cruise port shopping channel; everything else was in spanish as far as tv channels went. That was one thing that was annoying for me actually, but it was better that we weren't watching tv too.

That looked almost like our inlaws CC room. we just booked an oceanview and we had a storage cabinet over the TV too, but otherwise pretty much the same bedding as shown.

just book it! :D

DH watches a movie or the news while I am getting ready. I also like to watch a movie when getting ready, but the TV is a good ways from the dressing table.

I saw that photo of an OV and noticed that a cabinet was over the TV. Looked so much nicer than the one above. Wonder why they added that to the OV, but skimped on the balcony cabins?

OK, getting ready to go approach DH and tell him that only 7 cabins are available in his price range. :D

I was wondering the same thing. Although in the pictures above it looked like there was an adjoining room between the mirror and the TV. On my inlaws CC cabin where that door was had a floor to ceiling shelf organizer thing kind of pantry style. Good place for bottled water and some other things like that.

We had way more than enough storage on Celebrity, atually was really pleasantly surprised compared to RCCL. Or maybe we just didn't over pack this time. :p

We had the floor to ceiling shelf organizer next to the desk/dressing table and inside the dressing table are shelves on each side. You just can't see it from the picture. I think they have it there because the cabin is bigger and you don't have to put it where the tv is.

There was plenty of storage space. The closet was huge and had plenty of room for all of our clothes. The tv is really not that far from the dressing table or couch and you can see it just fine. They did run movies on TBS and a lot of shopping/cruise shows on other channels. They also had FOX news which my husband has to watch every day.

A friend of mine had a regular balcony cabin and you could see the difference mainly in between the bed and mirror (less room) and the room was narrower. She took this room because she got one of those bigger balconies on a hump.

Well, we let this one go. :( Going to see what special comes up next week. DH is also waiting to hear back about our tax refund. He was so funny last night.:) When I approached and told him there were only a few cabins left, he said "I wondered how long it was going to take you to say something about the cruise." :rolleyes:

A friend of mine had a regular balcony cabin and you could see the difference mainly in between the bed and mirror (less room) and the room was narrower. She took this room because she got one of those bigger balconies on a hump.

Ah, I wonder where the difference in square footage was. I thought that the room was shorter. I don't know how you can get much narrower than the cabin you showed. Did the smaller cabin have the storage over the TV? On the Century, there was no difference in cabin size between the CC and regular balcony...just the amenities

I forgot to post the "good" cabins for you to see which ones are coveted by other cruisers, either because of location or because they have bigger balconies, etc.

Here is an analysis of the Concierge Class Cabins on Constellation (Deck 8) to book. So many posts here ask if specific cabins are good ones, so (even though this is only my opinion) I thought people might find this helpful.

Background: My DW and I have enjoyed several Connie sailings in recent years in Concierge Class (CC) cabins on Deck 8. We enjoy the ship (its size, dining options, etc) so, knowing we’d be back, I took some notes to know which deck 8 CC cabins to book and which to avoid. We like Deck 8 because it has staterooms both above and below. We don’t like Deck 9 due to the overhang & lido above.

CC Cabins - Constellation (will be same as Summit) Deck 8:

The “Great” Rooms with larger balconies: People love the aft-facing staterooms (8170, 8172, 8176, & 8185) for the views of the wake and super-large balconies. 8045 & 8046 with larger “triangle shaped” balconies are also popular. Book these if you can! But what if they are already gone…..?

Best standard (non-adjoining) CC Cabins: 8072, 8074, 8076, 8078, 8080, 8082, 8084, & 8086 (starboard side): Good mid-ship location and non-adjoining (no interior door to the neighboring room which some complain can be the source of noise/light from the next cabin). So, why are they good? Because the inside cabins that appear directly across the hall on the deck plan are NOT really there. Well, of course they’re there, but you would never know it! Their doors all open to the opposite (port side) hall (note they all have odd cabin numbers). So there is nothing (no cabins or service areas) opposite these CC Cabins across the hall …nothing but a hallway wall.

Also good (on the port side) are 8075, 8079, 8083, 8087, 8091, 8095 & 8099: These have the same good mid-ship location & are non-adjoining, you just have a neighbor across the hall. Very good rooms to book.

Need an adjoining room? Look to book 8114, 8116, 8118, 8120, 8122, 8124, 8126, 8128, 8130, 8132, & 8134 (Starboard side): Good mid-ship adjoining rooms. Also, there also are no entrances to the “crew only” area (the large white blank space on the deck plan) across the hall anywhere in this block of cabins!

Location of Crew-Only Service Doors: I like to avoid cabins across from doors to crew-only areas (ie food prep facilities, freight elevators, mechanical equipment etc). They can be the source of noise and/or additional activity. If that matters to you, note that doors to the crew-only areas (shown as white blank space on the deck plans) are located approximately opposite the following CC cabins:

Starboard side: 8052, 8060, 8066 8090 8138, 8150 & 8176 (aft cabin)

Port Side: 8047, 8065, 8069, 8107, 8109, 8115, 8141, & 8145

Rooms to Avoid:

8094, 8096, 8111, & 8115 – Partially obstructed by the dreaded window washing equipment. NOTE: Cabins affected by the window washing equipment vary by ship. These are the rooms on Constellation ONLY. For other M-Class ships check the deck plan listed “obstructed view” rooms to avoid.

8102 & 8108 – listed as “obstructed view”, small balcony, & windows of suite next door look onto balcony.

8047 & 8048 – less private balcony which is visable from the angled balcony of the neighboring room.

"This list is posted frequently in this forum, so this seems a good place to lock it down."

Each of the following cabins on the Millennium Class ships (Millennium, Infinity, Constellation, Summit) has some particular benefit over its peers of the same class -- most often an oversized veranda, sometimes larger cabin or nicer decor. Not all of these differences are accurately reflected in any known deck plans.

SS-6131,6132,6145,6146

CC-9043,9038,9201,9164,9162,9160

CC-8045,8046,8185,8176,8172,8170

CC-7203,7212,7208,7206

CC-6135,6136,6143,6144

2A-8161,8146,9173,9138

2B-7049,7080,7163,7166,7171,7173,7175,7177,7174,7176, 7178,7180

2C- 6016,6018,6020,6021,6022,6023,6024,6025,6026,6027, 6029,6030,6031,6033,6035,6053,6048

Since the Infinity, Constellation, Millenium & Summit are all the same configuation, these cabins will apply to your cruise.

In addition, have you heard the term "POSH" which stands for: Port side out, Starboard home. This term came about when the British were sailing from England to India (sunny vs shady side). Look at your itinerary to determine the direction the ship is traveling, this will help you decide on the side of the ship you may prefer. However, please realize when the ship docks, it may make a complete 180 turn before docking.

Archived