RCC - We've done family Freedom class ship, will Voyager be a step down?

Cruise Leprechaun

We are considering taking a family spring break cruise on the Adventure of the Seas, which is a Voyager class ship doing the Southern Caribbean. The only problem (if you can call it that) is we did the Freedom of the Seas last year and it was great and I am afraid I will notice the "step down". I know it wont have the Flowrider which my boys loved. Will I really be missing anything else?

Also - while I am at it, this would be our first cruise deaprting from anywhere but US ports. Anyone have anything to share about ease or nightmares of cruises departing from Peurto Rico?

Thanks.

IMO, it will only be a step down if you think of it that way. The ships are very similar with Freedom class having some more "stuff" (and size and passengers) than Voyager; just as Oasis has more stuff/size/passengers than Freedom class. It's really best to approach each cruise and ship as an individual experience. If someone spends much time comparing "We had such-and-so on ship A and it's different/not there on ship B, so we're unhappy," then they're setting themselves up for having a possibly lousy time. I guess it also depends on what you consider a "step down" in comparison. Is it the size of the ship? Is it the number of venues and latest-greatest activities? Is it something else? For us, it would be a major step up to a smaller premium cruise line ship over the larger (and often newer) ships on mass market lines we enjoy. It's all a matter of perspective and preferences.

If you think Voyager will be a step down and if you set yourself up for feeling that, then it probably will be. If you want to have all the things and size and activities as on Freedom, then it might be best to stick with what you know you love. But if you keep an open mind and consider that Voyager class ships can hardly be considered small, old, or boring, then you'll probably have a blast. We love both the Radiance class and the Voyager class ships.

beachchick

We did Voyager class, Freedom, then back to Mariner and yes my 14 year old did miss the flowrider and the H2O zone a bit but he was able to find many things to do and never felt like he was taking a step down.

As the previous poster said if you go in with the attitude it will less than what you want it will be. Go in with the attitude you will have a great time and most likely you will. Set the expectations and enjoy.

We did AOS out of San Juan and it was a fantastic cruise!! One of the very best.

No horror stories, but the day we departed it was Easter Sunday, and the airport was absolutely packed. We made our flights and everything was fine, but there was just a lot of standing around.

Otherwise, San Juan is great because you can really get to those Southern ports!

Archived