Skagway Train/Bus Tour?

birdylady

After searching and reading, I wanted to post another question.

I've seen (depending on the provider of the excursion) different Train and Train/Bus tour combinations. I was wondering if it's worth it to do the train/bus tour or should the Train up and back be good enough. What is there that you see/do when you go to Fraser?

Also, is it best to go in the morning or the afternoon?

Thanx,

Erika

There are quite a number of options available in Skagway now, as your research is showing.

The train through the Pass is beautiful, lots of stunning scenery, riding high along the side of a deep valley. You can go back down in the train, or there are some tours that will go back down in a van, I think. That works well, only takes half a day or less and gives you time for alternatives in Skagway. The pass can be foggy, however, which does limit the viewing. Fraser is just the turn around point for the RR and not an attraction in itself. I don't really know that morning or afternoon would make much difference. (Check our page at http://www.bully4.us/alaskaexcursions.html#skagway)

Continuing on into the Yukon by bus gives you a whole different sort of scenery, being a long flat valley with numerous beautiful lakes and surrounded by the mountains. It is also a beautiful scenic trip. Often the buses will stop at Caribou Crossing for the BBQ lunch, and you have a chance to visit the wildlife museum and dog camp and even ride the dog carts. That is a lot of fun. This trip is essentially a full day and leaves you time for little else in Skagway except maybe a bit of shopping.

A very popular alternative, much discussed on this board, is to rent a car and drive over the Pass yourself. This gives you the beautiful scenery at your own pace, allows for frequent stops, and you can continue all the way to Emerald Lake and then cut back to Caribou Crossing. Murray's Guide is indispensible and gives you all the details (Google it).

Check out our report on this drive at http://www.bully4.us/skagway.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Mike,

Thank you for such a fast reply. Two questions. First the first web link didn'nt work. It tried to 'play' with but no luck for me. Can you repost a corrected link? Second, One of the trips I read about talks about stopping at the Mendenhal glacier on the way back to either drop you off (taking alternate transport back to town) or give you a few minutes to look around (I guess) before heading on. Do you know how long it talks to go from the parking lot to the 'photo spot' should we choose that option?

Thanx,

Erika

Mike,

Thank you for such a fast reply. Two questions. First the first web link didn'nt work. It tried to 'play' with but no luck for me. Can you repost a corrected link? Second, One of the trips I read about talks about stopping at the Mendenhal glacier on the way back to either drop you off (taking alternate transport back to town) or give you a few minutes to look around (I guess) before heading on. Do you know how long it talks to go from the parking lot to the 'photo spot' should we choose that option?

Thanx,

Erika

Mendenhall Glacier is in Juneau. Some stops here are 30-45 minutes, enough time to walk to Photo Point trail.

And just think it is only January! It definately will be research over load by the time you leave. You will second guess yourself a couple of times along the way but just remember you can't do it all in one trip. Our first trip was very subdue compared to our second B2B. I wanted to do lots of scenery and boy did we!:)

We took Chilkoot's for our trip in Skagway. It was the 7.5 hour excursion and we loved it. We were in a mini bus with 17 of our friends and had a wonderful guide. Lots of stops for pictures.:)

Mike,

Thanx,

Erika

Just checked both links in my previous post and they are working. May have been a temporary browser or server hitch. They are photo heavy and if you are on a slow connection they will take a while to load.

Yes, Mendenhall is in Juneau! However, to answer your question -- the spot my photos are shot from is only steps from the parking lot. You can jump out of the car, get a good view of the glacier, take a couple pictures and leave in 10 minutes if you want to. If you want to spend longer (and you should) there are frequent shuttle buses going back to town for a few dollars.

Have a GREAT cruise!

I have a question about the car rental idea. I just looked and can get a car for the day, however, AVIS opens at 9 and closes at 5 so is that enough time to do this by car. I read on Murrays guide website that it takes at least 7 hours. Is there a better solution.

Thanks!!!

I have a question about the car rental idea. I just looked and can get a car for the day, however, AVIS opens at 9 and closes at 5 so is that enough time to do this by car. I read on Murrays guide website that it takes at least 7 hours. Is there a better solution.

You can do the round trip easily in 5 hours if you wish, including stops for lunch and photos.

If you return the car after the Avis office has closed for the day, you park the car in their lot, lock it up and drop the keys in the drop box by the office door. We have done that, as have a great many others.

Also, even though the posted opening time may be shown as 9 on the web, they may actually open at 8. You can call the local office in Skagway and check with them after they reopen for next season.

Only one tour to do from Skagway . Departs from shipside - the White Pass & Yukon railway . Very spectacular and one of the World's great railway journeys. Takes half day and goes right up to the Canadian border and back .

Only one tour to do from Skagway . Departs from shipside - the White Pass & Yukon railway . Very spectacular and one of the World's great railway journeys. Takes half day and goes right up to the Canadian border and back .

There are several tours that include the railway - that's the option that the ships sell the most. For train fans there are longer and much longer trips.

You know, this is a perfect example of what I often say about the strengths and shortcomings of this board.

Here is one person's experience on one trip to Alaska. It is valuable information and well worth reading.

BUT ... it is ONE person's OPINION based on what may be limited experience. To say "Only one tour to do" is disingenuous, perhaps, at best. Novice lurkers might get a poor impression from expressing it that way.

Readers of this board are well advised to consider a wide variety of posts and realize that no single poster has the positive last word.

Archived