early opening for Hermitage

M&T

For St.P, I have gotten 3 companies. Two say that the early opening isn't good because so many groups get it that it is still busy and the museum doesn't have all the rooms available. These two tour companies say that going around the lunch time is best. Anyone have any ideas about that? Thanks. Marlyne

For St.P, I have gotten 3 companies. Two say that the early opening isn't good because so many groups get it that it is still busy and the museum doesn't have all the rooms available. These two tour companies say that going around the lunch time is best. Anyone have any ideas about that? Thanks. Marlyne

That is the exact same story I'm getting from the tour company we're booked with. Everything they've told me so far has been right on the money, so I'll take their word for it.

Unless you have been there before, how can anyone judge what is 'TOO CROWDED'??

We went to the Hermitage around 1:00 and it WAS crowded. But TOO crowded, I just don't know. We were able to see what we had to see, what the tour wanted us to see without ever having to wait. Yes, we may have had to be a bit pushy, but that is the nature of the beast when you are dealing with crowds.

All the tour groups know what they are doing and that's why they all ahve good reputations. Early, late, the Hermitage is just magnificent.

FYI--Everyone has to put those little paper booties on their shoes to go in the Hermitage. I got a kick when we took them off, and threw them into a big bin, they just take that bin and start all over again. Recycling at it's best.

A few pix of the Hermitage

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe927.jpg

Some of the amazing artifacts

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe910.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe920.jpg

one of the many hand painted ceilings

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe914.jpg

Self portrait of Rembrandt

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe960.jp

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe931.jpg

Whenever you go, you will enjoy it immensily.

Len

• 4 weeks later...

We have been to the Hermitage two times, both with a group but not with the ship. It was very hot, humid and crowded. We would not let anything keep us from going back. It is indeed beautiful. Marlyne

We did the early, 9:30 am admission to the Hermitage on Friday, August 1, 2008. Everything worked very smoothly and easily with Jane, our guide from Anastasia. Is this just my opinion or actual reality? Below are some pictures of our group of four as we were doing the tour. It's a big, big museum with five buildings. We didn't have any overcrowding problems, based on our experience. Can it happen? Sure, but people do spread out rather quickly in this great palace that also happens to have a wonderful collection art in a unique architectural setting.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Viewing one of the two da Vinci masterpieces at the Hermitage. There are only 17 such painting by this artist existing in the world:

1A-StP-HermitageDaVinciViewing.jpg

Examing one of the highly-detailed tables in the vast Hermitage collection that includes more than just paintings:

1A-StP-HermitageTableViewing.jpg

At St. Petersburg’s Hermitage, just one of many, many great galleries:

1A-StP-HermitageGalleries.jpg

One of the two dozen or so painting by Rembrandt inside the Hermitage:

1A-StP-Hermt-RemProd.jpg

The Grand Staircase at St. Petersburg’s Hermitage:

1A-StP-HermitageGrandStairs.jpg

This is the gallery of Generals from Russia’s famed history:

1A-StP-HermitageGen.jpg

We did the early admission this past July (2009), like TLCOhio about 9:30 a.m.. It was the real deal. There were no crowds. We went straight in and when we exited there was a significant queue for those waiting to get in. Like others have said, I am sure that you will have a wonderful time regardless.

The lack of crowds is amazing. Makes me want to re-think asking for early opening. Denrus does not want to do it. Marlyne

Go for it, Marlyne! There are a number of good firms in St. Petersburg. Some are more creative, personal and flexible. Some, however, are just in a limited frame of mind to offer their set "FORMULA" for what you have to do on "THEIR" schedule. I know what we liked and why it worked so well. I just re-checked my other pictures from visiting the Hermitage. Things were not that crowded or bad. I can share more. It wasn't that I just showed you a few that were the exceptions to the "normal, crowded" state of affairs there.

BUT, however, here is what can happen. If you are a part of a group of 25-40 people being marched through this great museum as a guide "BARKS" out information, then you feel lost in a crowded, less-than-pleasant environment. Our guide, Jane or Zhenya with Anastasia, was super in having a "CONVERSATION" with us. That makes all of the positive difference to enjoy and experience things in the best manner. She loves her country and its long history. She shared that well and answered our questions, responding to our interests and needs. If you're not getting what you need, now is the time to adjust to another firm. You're the customer. You should be happy!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

• 4 weeks later...

We went last year to an early opening at the Hermitage in July, which was wonderful and left the rest of the day to explore much more in town, and there is much to see. On our 2 day Anastasia tour, the only time we had to wait for an entry to anything was to Catherines Palace (about 15 minutes). Otherwise the only other problem was that the ships personnel tried to keep us from getting off the boat until their tours left off, but that problem was for everyone on a private tour. We ate in the Peterhoff gardens on day 1 and in St Petersberg at 'STOLLA'. Both were very good and quick which left more times for us to enjoy touring. In my opinion, the Anastasia tour was the best tour we we have EVER been on.

Copenhagen - We went on a Hop on - Hop off BUS right at the port. Very nice, but Copenhagen is a BIG city.

Stockholm - We went on a Hop on - Hop off BOAT. Extremely nice and relaxing.

Helsinki - We did a ship tour which was rather good.

St Petersberg - Anastasia, see comments above.

Talinn - Did the walking tour and it was quite a surprise and very enjoyable. This is your ultimate medieval town.

Oslo - Did a ships tour. Director did not seem to know too much about what she was doing, and in the end became very rushed and frantic. Would have been must better with a good director.

Sounds like all the tour operators give the same explanation for not going for an early opening. I don't know why they don't want the earlier time since the visitors are the ones paying the incremental cost of admission - must be something else that makes them what to control the timing this way. Anyway, I explained that I wanted an early opening, not for crowds, but rather because as M&T said it can get pretty hot and humid as the day progresses. Based on that our tour operator (Masha) graciously rearranged the itinerary to accommodate my request. I understand however that not all the galleries are opened at the earlier time so if there is something in particular you want to see check that it will be accessible at 9:30.

LT

I would also think that several of the tour companies like to use this early time to get you to some of the sites that are not right in the center of town. It takes at least an hour to drive to Peterhof and Catherine's Palace is also out of town. Instead of waiting for some places to open, they use this early time to get you to these other places. That hour or so you are driving to Peterhof later in the day, if you did the early Hermitage, sort of takes time away from touring. NO????

Cheers

'

Len

Our tour of the Hermitage was the last thing during the day. We arrived about three in the afternoon and although there were lots of people, we did not consider that to be 'crowded'. We walked right in and took in the grandeur (architecture and gilded rooms, etc) first and the famous paintings last. It worked fine for us. And, yes, it would have been good to have spent more time there, but perhaps another day.

Just like others here have said, the morning time was spent getting to other places. For details of our daily sights and lots of pictures, have a look at the following http://www.*****.com/Baltic.html

Hello all,

We are still researching options too.

Can someone advise if you also have to wear a hat while touring?

A friend was at the Hermitage last year and was given shoe coverings and a hat to wear which seems a bit strange. She mentioned it was extremely hot especially with the head covering.

Thanks,

We are planning a Baltic Cruise for July 3rd to 15th - some questions:

GiantFan 13 Len ~ we meet again! And again your photos are amazing! I may stay home and just use your photos!! (only kidding!!) Now my questions: I didn't know you have to wear booties in the Hermitage - interesting! Are they slippery?? Easy to keep on your shoes??

Photos - I take it that photos are permitted in the Hermitage - is there a fee/camera pass??? Just want to be prepared.

Lair Bear ~ enjoyed you web pages and will spend a lot more time at home looking at them. I see that you took your Baltic cruise in July 2008 and looking closely at the Amsterdam photos I notice jackets - how was the weather? I know the Baltic area can be very "iffy" weather wise (our son-in-law is from Sweden and they go "home" every year) but just wondering how chilly it was.

Thanks Much - CC has SO much advice available!!

Lair Bear ~ enjoyed you web pages and will spend a lot more time at home looking at them. I see that you took your Baltic cruise in July 2008 and looking closely at the Amsterdam photos I notice jackets - how was the weather? I know the Baltic area can be very "iffy" weather wise (our son-in-law is from Sweden and they go "home" every year) but just wondering how chilly it was.

The weather was variable. All along the Baltic coast we generally had warm, sunny days. Copenhagen was a bit windy and partly clouded, so we wore jackets there also. Then in Finland it was actually so warm that the locals were out in force to enjoy the day. I would say that the weather was comfortable for lots of walking.

In Amsterdam it was chilly and we did need jackets. But I would not say it was cold, and really warm clothes were not needed during the whole trip. Be prepared for rain, because that can happen any time, any where. In Stockholm, for example, we had a sudden light rain during our tour with Hans Christian Andersen.

Hello all,

We are still researching options too.

Can someone advise if you also have to wear a hat while touring?

A friend was at the Hermitage last year and was given shoe coverings and a hat to wear which seems a bit strange. She mentioned it was extremely hot especially with the head covering.

Thanks,

Booties, ---YES

Hat, this I never heard of. No one was wearing a hat (except me in my Giants cap)

Cheers

Len

We are planning a Baltic Cruise for July 3rd to 15th - some questions:

GiantFan 13 Len ~ we meet again! And again your photos are amazing! I may stay home and just use your photos!! (only kidding!!) Now my questions: I didn't know you have to wear booties in the Hermitage - interesting! Are they slippery?? Easy to keep on your shoes??

Photos - I take it that photos are permitted in the Hermitage - is there a fee/camera pass??? Just want to be prepared.

Thanks Much - CC has SO much advice available!!

Peg

Once again, thanks for the nice compliments on the pix.

The booties are to protect the floors in the Hermitage. They are the same thing you might have to put on in a hospital, like if you went into a delivery room sort of thing.

We found it very funny, as when you leave, you take these 'booties' off, deposit them in a large bin, and when that bin is full, they take the bin out to the new people coming in and sort of recycle the whole things all over again.

And NO, I did not find them slippery.

As for photo's, you can pix anywhere in the Hermitage, except for a couple of rooms that are distinctly marked no photo's. Some people mentioned that you weren't allowed to use a flash, but that, I really don't remember. There is plenty of light to take pictures without a flash.

Most of the private tours allow you ONE camera with the price of the tour. Any OTHER camera, be it video, digital whatever, there is a $12 charge PER CAMERA. They give you a little sticker to put on the camera to show it is authorized. We used our digital to take movies also, so we didn't need to have two cameras.

You said you are going at the beginning of July. I would suspect that that would probably be the warmest time to go on this cruise. As Lair Bear said, the weathercan be unstable. When we were looking on this board before we went, several people commented that in some ports in rained so hard they really couldn't do anything off the ship. But that is a rarity. When we went, mid August, you could feel the autumn chill in the air on some days, and the temp never got above 75, even with the sun out. But that is OUR kind of weather and we loved it. Always bring a light windbreaker along and you will be fine. I would also pack, maybe a sweatshirt, if the weather is nasty.

Cheers

Len

Now my questions: I didn't know you have to wear booties in the Hermitage - interesting! Are they slippery?? Easy to keep on your shoes??

When we were at the Hermitage in 2008 we did not have to wear booties. See picture below.

However at Catherine's Palace we did have the white booties as shown in the second picture.

The reason for this is to protect the beautiful parquet floors such as the one in the Amber Room.

The booties were not a problem and no one complained about them being slippery. Seeing the shiny wooden floors and the great inlay work, it wouldn't surprise me that they are now also required at the Hermitage.

Cameras were allowed at every place we visited, except the Amber Room and the subway. The picture below was copied from a post card. They are very strict about 'no pictures' there. Our guide mentioned that someone had been arrested a few days earlier for taking a picture in the subway. The reason is that it is still under government control as a shelter.

There is a charge that we paid to our tour guide. I don't recall the cost, but it would have been more for a video camera.

b281.jpg

b055.jpg

balt1.jpg

Hi Guys ~ thanks SO much for the fast replies!!

I'm going to keep these outdoor photos handy when we begin packing to remember the weather! July should be nice and warm in NYC and I'll need to "think Baltic" as we pack a sweater, sweats & jacket!!!

I've seen many photos of the Hermitage on CC but never noticed the boots!! I can fully understand the need with all that traffic and those floors - I was just wondering about how easy it'd be walking in them. I can also see that, since they're just on shoes, they can be re-used - but never in America, somebody would probably sue!!

We're booked with SPB for a tour so I'm sure we can get info about specific places and using cameras. I do remember that photos aren't permitted in the Amber Room and Subways - and in Russia I will be careful not to shoot even without a flash!

Thanks loads!

I stand corrected. :o:o: went back thru some of my pix and you are absolutely right about the 'booties'. It WAS hard to find a pix where feet were shown, but I found one clearly from Catherine's Palace where everyone IS wearing the booties,and any that I have from the Hermitage, no one is wearing them.

You know how it is when you get to be a certain age. That's why I take so many pictures, so I can remember where I was at a certain time :D:D:D

Here is a pix of my DW at Catherine's Palace.

I guess her beauty kept me from seeing the others in the background wearing the booties. (Hope she reads THAT comment LOL)

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster686.jpg

Cheers

Len

Archived