Going to Labadee Tomorrow

aprilfool

Before I read these posts I felt that I would't be able to go to Labadee. After reading these posts, I realize that there are many people in Haiti who have not been devestated by the earthquake but could have their lives impacted by our failure to visit. If I read right, several hundred employees would be jobless without RCCL visits and several hundred vendors would lose their livelyhood too.

So I guess the best option for me would be to go ashore, tip the people who move a chair into place for me, shop at the market ( a little more than usual) and then go back to the ship. But there is no reason for anyone who stays and plays to feel guilty. Not drinking and eating there does not help or hinder the relief effort one bit.

Don't miss the opportunity to visit Labadee. First of all, it is absolutely beautiful. The people are very friendly. When we were there I gave one of the guys who got us our lounge chairs a $5 bill - you think I gave him a million. These people are very poor and would be crushed if the cruise industry stopped visiting this bit of heaven on earth.

Fred

I am totally shocked at how many people are saying they want to avoid Labadee because they might feel guilty. Seriously? The people of Port Au Prince are suffering. Why in the World would we want to make the people of Cap Haitien suffer as well? The locals that work Labadee and their families benefit from you lounging on that beach, drinking the Labadoozies, shopping in their market, and eating the buffet. The absolute WORST thing RCCL can do is stop going there and the absolute WORST thing we passengers can do is avoid Labadee because of this earthquake.

If RCCL really wants to help, they could donate all the profits from money spent in Labadee to Haiti for the next month of two.

They are still going to make plenty of money on the ship, and this way cruisers would know that the money they spend on Labadee is actually helping the Haitian people and not going into corporate coffers.

IMHO - RCCL has gone above and beyond in financial support. They have pledged far more to Haiti than other cruise lines (although they do have more of a vested interest in the country) that along with the continued standard operations is more than fair.

If RCCL really wants to help, they could donate all the profits from money spent in Labadee to Haiti for the next month of two.

They are still going to make plenty of money on the ship, and this way cruisers would know that the money they spend on Labadee is actually helping the Haitian people and not going into corporate coffers.

If you read RCI's statement you would realize that they are already doing exactly that. For how long I don't know but for the present they are donating 100% of the monies spent in Labadee to Haitian relief and that is in addition to the substantial financial donation they have already announced and the much needed food and supplies that they are transporting to Haiti to assist the victims.

How do you know that? Please provide an authoritative source to verify that fact. Representations made by Adam Goldstein, or by anyone else associated with RCI, are certainly not conclusive and may not be accurate.
Actually, financial representations by him, being an officer of the company, better be accurate. You get up on the wrong side of the bed or something? You seem somewhat argumentative.

This is very admirable of RCI. It would be great if they had donation centers at the pier for clothing and other supplies.

They are gathering supplies for Haiti i will try to find the link at post it . Port Canaveral is accepting donations at the pier and the fire departments in Miami are collecting things for RCI. Here is one link ,will try to find the other

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3640

Maybe a lot of people have to wake up to reality. While I feel bad for the people of Haiti and all that they are and have experienced in recent years, why should the other people of the island also suffer from less dollars filtering into their economical situation. Every dollar that the government of Haiti gets will help in their effort to recover from such a disaster.

People are acting like there is no poverty on the majority of these Caribbean Islands. Since this is a private beach, the cruise company must pay a nice sum to support the economy in that nation. IMO, by not going there, might add insult to an already devastated nation.

May the people of the world, reach out a helping hand to those in need.

I wholeheartedly agree!

Lot's of people would pack an extra can of food, pair of shoes, article(s) or clothing, blanket, etc in order to help.

If every passenger, on every ship, every day that the ship came into port, would donate one item, there would be no burdern of transportation cost to get the item to the island and, boy oh boy, it would add up quickly! Imagine collecting 3000 pairs of shoes each time a ship docks!!! You would have 9000 shoes (at least) by weeks end. That's amazing! Imagine if every passenger brought a can of food....same translation, you could FEED 9000 people one meal. Amazing!

The passengers on the ships would be such an amazing (untapped?) place to get donations......

Blanket it's 90F there.

Theron, thanks for posting tbe map. It reinforces what I knew from having been there twice and what I've been reading online about road conditions. One article I read pointed out the difficulties of getting supplies from the undamaged airport in Santo Domingo to Port-au-Prince because of the road between the two cities - the two capitols of the two countries on the same island. It is a set of conditions that I can't really grasp from my advantages here in the US.

I can understand that there are people who feel as though they can't get off the ship in Labadee. I still think you should. You are in a position to do something right now that I can't - offer direct funds to a resident of Haiti. Get someone to set up a beach chair for you even if you can't sit in it. Tip the person more than you normally would because your tip will help keep that person's family going.

I am reminded of the parable like story I heard once about a beach where a multitude of starfish had washed ashore. A young girl had just picked one up and thrown it back into the ocean when someone approached her and asked what good that would do when so many of the others would die. Her response was "it made a difference to that one."

That is so true. I teach bible to 4 & 5 graders and most don't really listen. I have had adults as me why I continue when I am somewhat ignored. My answer is if one child ask Jesus to come into their heart and receives salvation it made my job not only worth it but a joy. You have to be able to think of the multitudes without forgetting the individual. Thank you for reminding us of that.

Rest of the world begins their scorn against RCI, ending nowhere in sight...

http://gawker.com/5450603/luxury-cruise-line-bravely-perseveres-in-haiti-even-as-quake-stuff-harshes-the-mellow

Go Cats

Gawker used to be the owner of consumerist.com, until they sold it off to Consumer Reports (the magazine folks.)

They have never been even neutral toward the cruise industry, but have always treated it with contempt, as far as I can recall.

Fine with me, makes for cheaper ticket prices... :rolleyes:

Theron

thanks for posting this news. I was wondering if our stop in July would be changed. However, I am not sure I really want to have a good time when people are suffering so. Perhaps there are things we can do to help the relief effort while we are there. it is such a sad situation. I know the revenue is important too; but so much suffering and us all having a blast:confused::confused:...just does not seem right.

Have no fear, the Americans are there to rebuild Haiti and save the people that can be saved. Misery is no stranger to the people of Haiti, they were eating dirt long before this earthquake and people were partying up a storm in Labadee.

By the way, the Haitians are furious that the US Military is in their country in full combat gear. I guess they want to pretend they aren't killing each other for a bottle of water.

thanks for posting this news. I was wondering if our stop in July would be changed. However, I am not sure I really want to have a good time when people are suffering so. Perhaps there are things we can do to help the relief effort while we are there. it is such a sad situation. I know the revenue is important too; but so much suffering and us all having a blast:confused::confused:...just does not seem right.

Fortunately, your cruise is not in the penalty phase yet. You can cancel for a full refund.

Have no fear, the Americans are there to rebuild Haiti and save the people that can be saved. Misery is no stranger to the people of Haiti, they were eating dirt long before this earthquake and people were partying up a storm in Labadee.

By the way, the Haitians are furious that the US Military is in their country in full combat gear. I guess they want to pretend they aren't killing each other for a bottle of water.

It doesn't matter what we Americans do. They always find some way to find fault with us.:rolleyes:

It doesn't matter what we Americans do. They always find some way to find fault with us.:rolleyes:

I know it can rub the wrong way for them to seem so ungrateful. It is good that we are doing the right thing. And they ARE killing each other over there which is why we have to go in full combat gear.

Fortunately, your cruise is not in the penalty phase yet. You can cancel for a full refund.

I want to go on the cruise. I am not sure how people can go to Labadee and still enjoy themselves when there is such misery going on. Maybe I can get into some assistance with the relief effort when I go. It just is not right to party hard when so many are suffering RIGHT THERE. People suffer all the time, but I do not see anyway to justify that.

I want to go on the cruise. I am not sure how people can go to Labadee and still enjoy themselves when there is such misery going on. Maybe I can get into some assistance with the relief effort when I go. It just is not right to party hard when so many are suffering RIGHT THERE. People suffer all the time, but I do not see anyway to justify that.

Many ports have people suffering and poverty stricken areas very close to the ports and resorts that we all visit. The difference is the heightened awareness due to the natural disaster. You can either focus on the economic support that tourism brings or not. Half empty or half full. It would be cool if there was a way that a humanitarian excursion could be offered at some ports, I would be on board for that... take a day to build or paint or clean or something. That would be a great family experience.

Many ports have people suffering and poverty stricken areas very close to the ports and resorts that we all visit. The difference is the heightened awareness due to the natural disaster. You can either focus on the economic support that tourism brings or not. Half empty or half full. It would be cool if there was a way that a humanitarian excursion could be offered at some ports, I would be on board for that... take a day to build or paint or clean or something. That would be a great family experience.

I do agree...there is alot of suffering in the World. However this is a bit more extreme than the usual poverty. I get the impression the news is really coating it. I do not see it due to my location in Paris. So, I count myself lucky to not be immersed in the propoganda. I bet they do offer something...a great idea.

So, it's OK for you to go to the Med and have a high ol' time, but not OK to do it nearby. The logic escapes me. Unless, of course, what you're saying is that being so close would make you feel guilty, but partying far away doesn't.

I do agree...there is alot of suffering in the World. However this is a bit more extreme than the usual poverty. I get the impression the news is really coating it. I do not see it due to my location in Paris. So, I count myself lucky to not be immersed in the propoganda. I bet they do offer something...a great idea.

And you will not see it when you are on Labadee either.

WooKeef, I hate to say it, but July the problems of Haiti will be long forgotten. It will have dropped from the news cycle to be replaced with the latest sports scandal, political scandal, big fire, big bomb, etc.

Hopefully, by summer the clearing will be going full force in the affected areas. There will no longer be mega stars donating cash, no food drives, etc. Perhaps at that point RCCL will let their customers know what they can do in an ongoing basis to help the community.

Archived