"Naughty room" for 2 airplane bottles of rum!

sprockie

People love to try to scare others with the "You could be denied boarding for smuggling booze onto the ship", but really, have you ever heard of anyone being denied boarding for smuggling on a bottle or two of booze?! It would make zero sense for them to do that.

I know that the language is there, but I don't believe for a second that anyone has ever been left on the pier because security found a bottle of wine in a passengers' suitcase!

I don't smuggle booze or break any rules, but neither do I sit in judgment of a poor Granny bringing in 4 oz. of alcohol. Sheesh!

I haven't found an all inclusive resort with prices even remotely close to what you can get a cabin on a cruise ship for. And if they include alcohol (especially premiums), the price is way more. And I would have trouble spending that much more on booze on board.

No, I think the real problem is people think about how much a six pack of beer, or a fifth of bourbon costs retail, and somehow think that is relevant.

We spent 6 nights at a lovely all-inclusive resort in Playa Del Carmen Mexico just in front of Christmas. Including hotel, airfare, all food and alcohol, the stay was under $1400. Not per person. Total.

My guess is that if word got out Royal Caribbean was actually denying boarding to passengers who had liquor in their suitcases that RC would lose a lot of future bookings. What do you think would happen?

They deny boarding, they get to keep the fare but no on-board revenue or tips for their service crew. Everyone more or less agrees the fare hardly covers (if it does) operating expenses. It's the on-board revenue that is what is important. No passenger, no on-board revenue. No tips for their crew equals a lot of unhappy crew members.

The only reason I can see someone being denied boarding would be if they were really ugly and threatening in the process of taking up their booze which is a whole different case. That would happen if it was taking up alcohol or some other issue.

And, yes, I think their future bookings would tank big time when people would have to factor in the cost of drinking into the cruise budget when comparing fares with other lines that allow wine to be bought on. I doubt smuggled alcohol for an entire cruise exceeds the cost of two or three empty cabins.

Tucker in Texas

The only reason I can see someone being denied boarding would be if they were really ugly and threatening in the process of taking up their booze which is a whole different case. Tucker in Texas

Anyone that would get ugly and threatening should be denied boarding for the safety and consideration for fellow passengers.

Easy fix...just sail on a cruise line that treats it's passengers like paying adults. You can take wine aboard other lines and you can buy a bottle of hard stuff for your room from other lines. Vote with your wallets!!

The sad part is...in the good old days with Royal Caribbean you COULD purchase a bottle from the on board shop, pay a fee (@$9) and take it to your room. Those were the days, before Goldstein.

We have friends who if they brought booze along, would be the ones who would complain. They were going on a cruise with us and would have been their first & were planning on bringing some along. They ended up cancelling, so never new what the outcome would have been. We didn't care if they brought any but let them know what could happened if found.

2 ounces of booze? LOL

That's like getting a ticket for doing 71 in a 70.

Yes, it is an infraction of the rules.

Yes, it is extremely petty.

I think that's a great analogy. Alot of these "rules are rules" people would complain pretty loudly if they got a speeding ticket for going one mile over the speed limit. I rank getting called out for bringing two 2 oz. airplane bottles of liquor right along with that kind of extreme speed limit enforcement.

The sad part is...in the good old days with Royal Caribbean you COULD purchase a bottle from the on board shop, pay a fee (@$9) and take it to your room. Those were the days, before Goldstein.

That was the last time I sailed them! I agree, very sad, they used to have the best policy at sea....now they're the only one with this stupid policy.

That was the last time I sailed them! I agree, very sad, they used to have the best policy at sea....now they're the only one with this stupid policy.

Actually most of them have the same policy with regards to hard liquor. Policy varies with wines and of course with enforcement.

but don't let facts get in the way of your rant.

Actually most of them have the same policy with regards to hard liquor. Policy varies with wines and of course with enforcement.

but don't let facts get in the way of your rant.

They don't allow you to take on hard stuff, but every other line allows you to buy a bottle for consumption in your room. All other lines allow at least one bottle of wine to be taken. So as I said, Royal Caribbean is the only one with this stupid policy.

Evidently she isn't.;)

It happened to us on NCL about a year ago. We had a 1/2 pint of Jim Beam in our luggage and guess what? We got busted also. I acutally pretty much laughed about it. They kept it and we were told we could claim it at the end of the cruise. We didn't bother.

Nita

They don't allow you to take on hard stuff, but every other line allows you to buy a bottle for consumption in your room. All other lines allow at least one bottle of wine to be taken. So as I said, Royal Caribbean is the only one with this stupid policy.

Wrong again...I won't go through every cruise line but Carnival, Celebbity, HAL, Princess, etc etc. will not allow you to purchase liquor on board or in port and keep it in your room. They all retain it until the end of the cruise.

Again don't let facts get in your way.

Wrong again...I won't go through every cruise line but Carnival, Celebbity, HAL, Princess, etc etc. will not allow you to purchase liquor on board or in port and keep it in your room. They all retain it until the end of the cruise.

Thanks teacher for setting us straight..:rolleyes:

Thanks teacher for setting us straight..:rolleyes:

Well I am not trying to defend RCI or anybody else. I just get a little tired of people her getting their righteous indignation all fired up and then making lots of loud statements that havve no basis in fact.

Once again don't let me ruin your fun.

What? yes they will. All the cruise lines listed about allow you to buy a bottle. You can't go to the duty free store and buy it, but you can order a bottle of vodka from room service on Celebrity, HAL and Princess and on Carnival I believe you have to phone customer service ahead of time to order it. Do your homework will ya!!

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/services/gifts/princess_cellars/index.jsp

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beverage/package/details.do;jsessionid=0000_w8fF9eJW2MgN1jFOqeW-p-:12hdbcveb?ComponentTypeId=17&categoryId=18&pagename=beverage_package_details

I think on HAL you need your booking number to order gifts, but their prices are really reasonable on ordering a bottle for your room.

What? yes they will. All the cruise lines listed about allow you to buy a bottle. You can't go to the duty free store and buy it, but you can order a bottle of vodka from room service on Celebrity, HAL and Princess and on Carnival I believe you have to phone customer service ahead of time to order it. Do your homework will ya!!

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/services/gifts/princess_cellars/index.jsp

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beverage/package/details.do;jsessionid=0000_w8fF9eJW2MgN1jFOqeW-p-:12hdbcveb?ComponentTypeId=17&categoryId=18&pagename=beverage_package_details

I think on HAL you need your booking number to order gifts, but their prices are really reasonable on ordering a bottle for your room.

So now I see you are arguing that pre-purchasing liquor before your cruise amounts to the same as buying it on board or in port. However you want to argue this point is just fine with me as this is getting tedious.

So now I see you are arguing that pre-purchasing liquor before your cruise amounts to the same as buying it on board or in port. However you want to argue this point is just fine with me as this is getting tedious.

That's you admiting you don't know what you're talking about and don't like being proven wrong? How childish!! You don't have to prepurchase anything, you can pick up the phone and have a bottle delivered to your room at any time.

You aboslutely can order a bottle of liquor for your room on Celebrity and HAL (before you board or while on board). I do not know the policies on Carnival and Princess, so I will not comment on those.

You aboslutely can order a bottle of liquor for your room on Celebrity and HAL (before you board or while on board). I do not know the policies on Carnival and Princess, so I will not comment on those.

Now a question to bring the discussion full circle. Can you order MINIs? :confused::D:D

Now a question to bring the discussion full circle. Can you order MINIs? :confused::D:D

Would you like your Mini in a standard or automatic transmission? :) :)

I believe Celebrity and HAL it's a litre or a 750ml depending on the product, Princess are 375 ml bottles.

Archived