Shuttle from Outer Harbor into Adelaide?

jresmith

We will be in Adelaide on the Dawn on Saturday, March 27. Does anyone know if Princess provides a shuttle into Adelaide from the port, and if so, do you know where they drop you off in town? We are thinking about renting a car in Adelaide, and are trying to figure out if there is a car rental place near the drop off.

Thanks for your help,

Jennifer

We will be in Adelaide on the Dawn on Saturday, March 27. Does anyone know if Princess provides a shuttle into Adelaide from the port, and if so, do you know where they drop you off in town? We are thinking about renting a car in Adelaide, and are trying to figure out if there is a car rental place near the drop off.

Thanks for your help,

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

In case there isn't a shuttle, there is a train station right at the Cruise Ship Passenger Terminal. Just walk off the ship and across the road. Can't miss it.

A regular service operates directly to Adelaide Station - right in the centre of the city.

Cheers,

Steve.

Yes don't get ripped off by Princess with the city shuttle. Use the train close to passenger terminal for a fraction of the cost . Frequent service, and Adelaide station is right in centre of City on North terrace and within a couple of blocks walking of the main shopping ares on Rundle Mall .

Hi There,

Thanks for the replies. We were thinking about taking the train until I started doing some research. It seems that the train is out of commission now and you have to take a bus to Woodville, then transfer over to the train to go into Adelaide. Since we are there on a Saturday, I don't think the busses and trains run as frequently as they do on weekdays. And since it sounds like there is construction going on, we thought it might be safer to be on the Princess shuttle. So we decided to bite the bullet and pay Princess's price for the shuttle. I just hope they drop us off close to where the train would let us off!

Thanks again!

Jennifer

I posted in the other forum hire your car from Port Adelaide [google it]

Port Adelaide is a large town on the train maybe only one stop or bus its a large dock town with plenty of history only about 10 miles from city'

the big hire companys will be there. good luck .

Hi there Jennifer :)...I am from Adelaide but I'm in Perth (WA) right now.

I have just spoken to my brother in Adelaide, he has just retired as a public transport driver. I myself was at Outer Harbour a few weeks ago (in Adelaide the ships dock at Outer Harbour, not Port Adelaide.)

The train at Outer Harbour is temporarily out of commision due to upgrades. My brother and I reckon you are better off sticking with the ship's shuttle as it can be time consuming getting the bus to Woodville and then the train to the city.....oh yes, the only reason I was at Outer Harbour is because my OH wanted to see where the ships dock, he's from Perth.

On the other hand, my lovely brother and his wife are wonderful 'tour guides'....so if you would like them to pick you up from Outer Harbour, just let me know. They don't mind at all.

Take care :)

Hi Tanderra,

Thanks so much for the information and offering your brother and his wife's services as a tour guide!!! Actually, I have finally rented a car from Thrifty, which is located at 23 Hindley Street. I am hoping that is fairly close to where the Princess shuttle drops us off. Do you know about how long it takes to get from Outer Harbor into the CBD? We are planning to head out to the Barossa Valley to do some wine tasting. Since we are in Adelaide on a Saturday, we are hoping some of the wineries are open. We were going to do that in Bunbury, but we are there on a Tuesday and have discovered that most of the wineries are closed!

Again, thanks for your help and offer!

Jennifer

Hi Tanderra,

Thanks so much for the information and offering your brother and his wife's services as a tour guide!!! Actually, I have finally rented a car from Thrifty, which is located at 23 Hindley Street. I am hoping that is fairly close to where the Princess shuttle drops us off. Do you know about how long it takes to get from Outer Harbor into the CBD? We are planning to head out to the Barossa Valley to do some wine tasting. Since we are in Adelaide on a Saturday, we are hoping some of the wineries are open. We were going to do that in Bunbury, but we are there on a Tuesday and have discovered that most of the wineries are closed!

Again, thanks for your help and offer!

Jennifer

Hi there Jennifer :)...so pleased you have arranged a hire car. Hindley Street is in the city centre so wherever the shuttle drops you off you will be very close to it. It is about a 20 minute drive from Outer Harbour to the city centre, maybe a little less.

All the wineries in the Barossa Valley will be open on the Saturday and I think you will thoroughly enjoy it. Seppeltsfield is one I can really recommend, along with 'Hardy's' at Jacobs Creek...and one of the biggest of all, Wolf Blass Winery. Maybe you could call in to one of the 'German' type cafes, their food is to die for.

I used to live near the Barossa but I moved to beautiful Willunga next to McLaren Vale....another wine region, before moving to Perth to be with my OH.

I sincerely hope you have a lovely time in my home state....happy travelling :)....Bindi.

Well, as my husband says, I am a woman and therefore I am entitled to change my mind. So that's what I've done. After looking at our itinerary, I realized I had sort of gotten carried away on going to wineries!! So I have cancelled our Thrifty rental car and we have decided to take the Princess shuttle into the CBD, and then take the free tourist bus around the town and see the sights. It appears that the Central Market will be open when we are there, so that is a must do for us. Also the Botanical Gardens and the National Wine Center sound interesting. I'm sure there will be more things to see and do than we have time for. Isn't that usually the case?

So thanks everyone for your input. Who knows, I might change my mind again and re-rent the car!

Jennifer

Central market is a definite must for Adelaide. It is amazing and the quality of produce will simply floor you. Even if you go to a good one at home such as the one in Portland OR.

If you like Asian the street next to the Market is chock full of one better than the other Asian restaurants. You really can't miss.

Just remember SA is Heaps good! Don't take my word for it ask anyone in Adelaide :cool:

Hi Jennifer,

Sounds like you are in for a great day.

Another suggestion is to ride the tram out to the beach at Glen Elg.

A lot of the crew seem to head out to the cafes there, and they usually know the best places to go to in each port.

Hi again Jennifer :)....of course it is your perogative :D.

Yes, Central Market is definately a good experience....the cheeses are to die for. Kiwi Kruzer is right, actually you can hop on the tram to Glenelg in Victoria Square....right near the Central Market.

As an Adelaide girl (as you know) :) I am sure you will enjoy yourself whatever you decide.

By the way, the 'city' of Adelaide is just one square mile, surrounded on all four sides by parklands with the suburbs spreading out....north, south, east and west. The 'city' was designed by Colonel William Light in 1836 and is the only Australian state which was a 'free' settlement. Colonel Light is the only person who is buried within the square mile, in Light Square.

Hope you enjoy, whatever you decide :)....Bindi.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived