Prepaid Gratuities

Carol1560

As a seasoned Carnival cruiser, I have experienced that your tips are automatically charged to your sail and sign account. If you would like to adjust these tips, all you have to do is go to the purser's desk and they can do that. Recently I read an post of a cruiser who was on the Triumph. Their post said that you cannot remove or change your prepaid gratuities. Is this true??

As a seasoned Carnival cruiser, I have experienced that your tips are automatically charged to your sail and sign account. If you would like to adjust these tips, all you have to do is go to the purser's desk and they can do that. Recently I read an post of a cruiser who was on the Triumph. Their post said that you cannot remove or change your prepaid gratuities. Is this true??

No, not true.

There's been no change in the tipping policy at Carnival.

:)

Our travel agent told us yesterday that Carnival will charge the gratuities and you can not take them off! She said that too many people were not going to dinner the last night so the wait staff were not getting the tips!

Our travel agent told us yesterday that Carnival will charge the gratuities and you can not take them off! She said that too many people were not going to dinner the last night so the wait staff were not getting the tips!

Unless CCL just changed that policy, we have not been advised of the change in our office. I think your TA is incorrect in that you cannot adjust gratuities at the passengers discretion.

Per CCL website:

What is the tipping policy onboard?

Service Gratuities

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $10.00 per guest, per day (our recommended guideline) as follows:

$ 3.50 Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.50 Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

For Cruises-To-Nowhere, gratuities of $10 per guest, per day must be prepaid.

Our Staff is totally committed to exceed your expectations in every way possible. If you are not satisfied with the service you receive, we encourage you to contact the Guest Services desk while onboard. This will allow us to address your concerns in a timely and appropriate fashion. At your discretion, you may adjust the gratuities at any time.

Not True. From Carnival's Gratuities Policy:

Prepaid Gratuity Program:

• <LI style="tab-stops: list .5in; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo3" class=MsoNormal>Gratuities are pre-arranged and paid at the time of booking or anytime up to two weeks prior to the sail date. Once the booking has been ticketed, the prepaid gratuities cannot be removed from the booking. <LI style="tab-stops: list .5in; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo3" class=MsoNormal>All guests on each booking must prepay the gratuities with the exception of children under two years of age. <LI style="tab-stops: list .5in; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo3" class=MsoNormal>The guest will have the option to adjust the gratuities (up or down) based upon the level of service received during the cruise.
  • The dollar amount for gratuities will appear in the Miscellaneous Charge field on the booking. The guest copy of the cruise ticket will indicate if gratuities have been prepaid.

The tips cannot be removed from the Booking before the Cruise, but they may be adjusted up/down during the cruise.

ken

The TA is correct that a number of cruisers unfortunately DO stiff the crew, but there have been no published/announced changes in the Policy allowing cruisers to adjust the tips.

ken

So, since you know the TA was wrong, or you misunderstood ... Id hope you didnt use this TA again. If they dont know basics, I hope you dont need real info for a problem.

Unless CCL just changed that policy, we have not been advised of the change in our office. I think your TA is incorrect in that you cannot adjust gratuities at the passengers discretion.

Per CCL website:

What is the tipping policy onboard?

Service Gratuities

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $10.00 per guest, per day (our recommended guideline) as follows:

$ 3.50 Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.50 Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

For Cruises-To-Nowhere, gratuities of $10 per guest, per day must be prepaid.

Our Staff is totally committed to exceed your expectations in every way possible. If you are not satisfied with the service you receive, we encourage you to contact the Guest Services desk while onboard. This will allow us to address your concerns in a timely and appropriate fashion. At your discretion, you may adjust the gratuities at any time.

Not True. From Carnival's Gratuities Policy:

Prepaid Gratuity Program:

• <LI style="tab-stops: list .5in; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo3" class=MsoNormal>Gratuities are pre-arranged and paid at the time of booking or anytime up to two weeks prior to the sail date. Once the booking has been ticketed, the prepaid gratuities cannot be removed from the booking. <LI style="tab-stops: list .5in; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo3" class=MsoNormal>All guests on each booking must prepay the gratuities with the exception of children under two years of age. <LI style="tab-stops: list .5in; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo3" class=MsoNormal>The guest will have the option to adjust the gratuities (up or down) based upon the level of service received during the cruise.
  • The dollar amount for gratuities will appear in the Miscellaneous Charge field on the booking. The guest copy of the cruise ticket will indicate if gratuities have been prepaid.

The tips cannot be removed from the Booking before the Cruise, but they may be adjusted up/down during the cruise.

ken

So there you have it... the NON prepaid language version -plus- the PREPAID in advance language version.

The TA is correct that a number of cruisers unfortunately DO stiff the crew, but there have been no published/announced changes in the Policy allowing cruisers to adjust the tips.

ken

How is "not going to dinner the last night" stiffing the crew? They already paid their gratuities. If they choose not to pay more -- so what? It's their prerogative.

How is "not going to dinner the last night" stiffing the crew? They already paid their gratuities. If they choose not to pay more -- so what? It's their prerogative.

"Many" remove all tips on the assertation that they'll tip in cash, then never show-up in the dining room the final nite. Many cruises you'll note sparse attendance at the MDR. ken

Pre-paid gratuities is for people with alcohol issues or gambling issues or are unable to manage their money

Everyone else tips at the end of the cruise.

And what logic book did you get this ridiculous analogy from ? Probably this rates as one of the most idiotic relpies I have seen regarding pre paid tipping

Pre-paid gratuities is for people with alcohol issues or gambling issues or are unable to manage their money

Everyone else tips at the end of the cruise.

I have none of the above for a problem and I do prepay one less thing to worry about carrying extra cash around and trying to divide it up into appropriate amounts.

Just returning the flame!

I guess others thought your logic was pretty "dense" as well !

I have none of the above for a problem and I do prepay one less thing to worry about carrying extra cash around and trying to divide it up into appropriate amounts.

Flame on if you feel froggy !

Tough bunch tonight.lol I always prepay before the cruise. In doing so I understand that I can not adjust the amount once on the ship. This differs from the posting of the gratuities on your account while on the ship. These you can be adjust or have removed at the pursers desk.

As I have never had bad service on a Carnival ship I am very comfortable in prepaying the gratuities before the cruise. Why? because I hate a credit card bill for a vacation I had the previous month.

YES, YOU CAN ADJUST OR TAKE OFF THE TRIPS IF YOU WANT....I was just on the Valor and they made it clear iof you wante't to adjust your tips that was fine. Of course they wanted you to adjust up. Anyway I gave our MDR waiter $20.00 the first night and told him if he was good there would be more. The last night I gave him anoter 50. I don't mind tipping but if you let it all go automatic it is split among the crew. I like givig it personally and it works. What service!

See my post on the other thread concerning gratuities.

I responded to a previous poster on this thread that stated the only reason someone does not pre-pay gratuities is because they do not intend to pay any gratuities. I thought that was the dumbest thing I have ever read on this board.

Archived