Large Group on the July 11th Sailing of the Oosterdam?

scottndsky

Our small group (about 12 cabins) was just notified by our TA that another group on the ship has grown to a size where they now want to charter the entire ship. We're being asked if we can move all of our bookings to the following week - the July 18th sailing on the same 7-day Alaskan Explorer via Glacier Bay itinerary.

This is only my second cruise - my first on HAL. Is this sort of thing unusual? It seems like it would take a massive group to charter an entire cruise ship. Could this really be true? Does anyone have any details as to who this group might be?

Regards,

Scott

If they chartered the ship it doesn't matter who the group is. You're out. That is, you're out unless you want to rebook with the group, and pay the prices they are charging.

Yes, charters are a regular occurance in cruising. They are very common on 7-day Caribbean sailings, but any cruise can be chartered out from under passengers who have already booked. They are not usually chartered this close to a sailing, though. It's usually closer to a full year between chartering and sailing.

I suggest that, if this is a charter now, you have your TA deal with HAL to get you some bennies (spelled: $$$$$) for switching at this late date.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, Our 3 rooms were also canceled. If you have any luck with compensation for this, please let me know.

I have a note into the President of HAL and I'm waiting for a reply. (It was worth a shot!)

If you booked thru a T/A, work with him. If directly thru HAL, get on the phone and work up the foodchain at Seattle HQ.

At a minimum, I would hope they would book you for the same money on an identical itinerary that is convenient for you ... AND pay any change fees that might be associated with plans, like air, that you've already paid for. Perhaps some OBC to soothe your disappointment.

Personally, even if not a charter, if I learned there was a HUGE special-interest group on a sailing, and that group would impact onboard activities or public room use, I would want to rebook.

I think you dodged a bullet here but HAL should certainly offer you something as good, if not better, instead and cover any flight/hotel/general incovenience costs incurred. Large groups change the whole dynamic and atmosphere because inevitably they tend to "take over" which can spoil the overall experience for others.

Archived