Suggestions for Smaller, Luxury cruise to smaller ports

fun4all4

Hi,

I am looking for a cruise around the Greek Isles - would really like to go in/out of Istanbul to/from Athens, but that is negotiable. What is not is the desire for a smaller ship, an upscale/luxury line, and the desire to avoid as much as possible the bigger ports that those bigger ships go to.

Unfortunately travel window is end of June to beginning of September which means a more crowded time of year. Oh, and a 7-night itinerary, not a 12 or 14 night. :-)

Considering SeaDream or Seabourn right now. Maybe Star Clippers. There is a SeaDream itinerary out of Istanbul to Lesvos, Kusadasi, Mykonos, Paros, Santorini, Sifnos and Athens, but while the ship is smaller, many of the ports are pretty common and larger.

There are 2 Seabourn's....Athens to Istanbul with stops in Mylos, Rhodes, Patmos, Khios and Kusadasi OR Istanbul to Athens with stops in Dikili, Kusadasi, Bodrum, Santorini, Mylos and Nafplio.

Thoughts on those options? Which is "most of the beaten path?" Thanks for any input. Other suggestions welcome!

Hi, I am looking for a cruise around the Greek Isles - would really like to go in/out of Istanbul to/from Athens, but that is negotiable. What is not is the desire for a smaller ship, an upscale/luxury line, and the desire to avoid as much as possible the bigger ports that those bigger ships go to. Unfortunately travel window is end of June to beginning of September which means a more crowded time of year. Oh, and a 7-night itinerary, not a 12 or 14 night. Considering SeaDream or Seabourn right now. Maybe Star Clippers. There is a SeaDream itinerary out of Istanbul to Lesvos, Kusadasi, Mykonos, Paros, Santorini, Sifnos and Athens, but while the ship is smaller, many of the ports are pretty common and larger. There are 2 Seabourn's....Athens to Istanbul with stops in Mylos, Rhodes, Patmos, Khios and Kusadasi OR Istanbul to Athens with stops in Dikili, Kusadasi, Bodrum, Santorini, Mylos and Nafplio. Thoughts on those options? Which is "most of the beaten path?" Thanks for any input. Other suggestions welcome!

In late June 2006, we did Seabourn for seven days, Athens to Istanbul, with stops in Mykonos, Milos, Patmos, Bodrum and Kusadasi. Totally loved it. Was super wonderful for the both the ship and the stops!!! We had three days in Athens prior to the cruise, including using a day to visit Nafplio, Corinth, Mycene, famed outdoor theater, etc., by a private tour. Then, we had two days at the end for Istanbul with a private guide. Late June was perfect as the weather was not too hot and the crowds had not peaked up too much.

Of the two options, the second option hits me as excellent as it offers two stops along the wonderful Turkish Coast, gives you Santorini, etc. Below offers a small visual sampling of "treats" that you could enjoy on such a trip. It is very possible and you will love it. Any questions on Seabourn and/or for this charming area?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

At Bodrum along the Turkish Coast, here's a religious tower and view of the town in background:

MintTower.jpg

Ruins from when Ephesus was Rome's capital of Asia Minor:

EphRuinsLongShot.jpg

We enjoyed a night concert arranged by Seabourn in front of the historic library:

NightLibrary.jpg

In a small village, a colorful group of flowers at a doorway:

GreekIsleDoor.jpg

Night dining from a rooftop in Istanbul:

1A-Istbul-NightDining.jpg

Outside of new mid 1800’s Palace used by Sultans in Istanbul:

1A-Istbul-NewPalaceOutside.jpg

Any of the small lux ships would be really nice to do...we like Silversea and have done some ports that other ships do not or have not stopped in so you could always check them out as well.Aslo, the smaller lines do really nice shore excursions with smaller groups and do places easier than the big ships...just an FTY.Enjoy however you go,

Having researched many ships and cruises, decided on SeaDream for June due to small size, and luxury...it was on the Travel Channel as one of their favorite cruiselines.The food is said to be the best, acc.to Conde Naste and their website has a lot of good info.Try reading some of the posts on this Board....just a hint......let us know your final decision.Will love the islands regardless, just a wonderful area to visit.....:)

Thanks so much! I really should have clarified...I am actually asking for a close friend (her 50th birthday trip with hubby). I have been fortunate to go to Athens, Santorini, Naxos, and Nafplio (including visits to Mycenae and Epidaurus), but it was a land trip. It was so fabulous and gorgeous - have not been to Turkey yet but it is high on my list. :-)

TLC- so glad to hear you have personal experience with Seabourn in that region and thought it was wonderful. Your photos are amazing. Thanks for sharing.

cberge- yes, looked at Silversea as well, but itineraries and dates for this summer just weren't a match.

alexandra - Seadream sounds awesome as well.

As least I feel better that we haven't missed anything obvious and that the choices are good. I will send her these few and she can decide from there.

We are booked on Sea Dream late May , early June, Athens to Istanbul and back for a total of 13 nights. We have been on SD 4 times in the Caribbean and my wife has done 3 trans Atlantics with them with another booked for this coming fall. I can vouch for the quality of the food, and the resort casual atmosphere (as opposed to some of the other luxury lines that have formal nights) make it our favorite line. It is also the smallest of the luxury lines with a maximum of 110 passengers. Go over and check out the SD board, IMO you will get a lot of information over there.

Archived