Cruising with Baby -Which Luxury Cruise Line?

Luxury For Less

Both Crystal Cruises and RSSC actively market to family's with children as part of their core business.

Even though some regulars of the above cruise-lines, earlier in this thread have not encouraged you. Both cruise-lines will welcome you with open arms and have good on-board set ups to help you deal with the kids of any age.

Don't let any non children friendly regulars of the above cruise-lines bother you at all.

Crystal and RSSC are actively marketing to have you on their ships, so go for it and enjoy!

You will love either cruise-line, and you will be made to feel very welcome.

Both Crystal Cruises and RSSC actively market to family's with children as part of their core business.

Even though some regulars of the above cruise-lines, earlier in this thread have not encouraged you. Both cruise-lines will welcome you with open arms and have good on-board set ups to help you deal with the kids of any age.

Don't let any non children friendly regulars of the above cruise-lines bother you at all.

Crystal and RSSC are actively marketing to have you on their ships, so go for it and enjoy!

You will love either cruise-line, and you will be made to feel very welcome.

I think you misread one or more of the above posts. It was clearly stated that Crystal and Regent are child friendly during school breaks and the summer. Rather than discouraging a baby from cruising on Crystal or Regent, we were suggesting the best times to go. The rest of the year there are barely any children on board. It would be uncomfortable to board a ship where you are the only one with a baby and you receive strange stares (as the poor little one received on our recent cruise). We are just looking out for the interests of the person with the baby.

No Travelcat 2,

I am sure and confident that l did not misread your posts at all.

Below are your own quotes in question. They are very clear and don't hold any punches.

"Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease don't send them to Regent."

"Goingany other time of the year and they are bound to be evil eye stars, people walking away from whatever area there are in, et"

"Unfortunately, people with babies and toddlers don't think about the fact that many of us have "been there -- done that" and no longer wish to vacation with crying babies, children splashing in the pool, etc."

I am sure that if you have printed something you wish changed the moderators would be happy for you to request it.

I accept that both RSSC and Crystal during summer and holidays have special programes for the kids, because family's and kids are higher in numbers during those times of the year.

But the facts are that both Crystal and RSSC now welcomes family's all year round.

They advertise this fact.

They have both also announced that in 2010 they have changed there marketing stratergy's to directly target family's with children.

I know that this change may not be popular with a minority of regulars of the above cruiselines, but you always have the option of voting with your feet and finding other cruising choices.

RSSC's head Mark Conroy said during a speech to Seatrade in October

That RSSC felt there was a "market hole" for family's in the luxury segment and due to the GFC RSSC wanted to take advantage of this and RSSC believed it was best placed to fill the void.

He said the many varied international dates for the school year, holidays and school breaks meant that somewhere in the world, many family's were seeking a luxury cruise vacation outside the traditional American summer cruise season.

At the same conference Crystal made similar statements, but reinforced that they have always been family friendly but now wanted to offer even more for their under 18 passengers .

The cruise industry news then reported that the 2 Lux lines seem to going head to head for the lux family market.

To make absolutley sure of this, today l phoned both RSSC and Crystal and they confirmed family's with children were welcome on board year round, and that at certain times of the year (holiday's and the American summer) They offer extra programes to give mum and dad a bit more free time and space.

The OP should feel comfortable in the knowledge that the above cruise lines and the majority of fellow passengers will welcome them with open arms, and not to worry about a few sour puss's.

As everyone has said, Cunard is the most obvious choice. However, let me suggest something out of the box...how about a Penthouse Suite on Celebrity. It will give the family plenty of amenities on a slightly more upscale mass market line without creating too many dirty looks from other passengers. With European butler service, they can dine in their suite for every meal if they wish. They also offer in-cabin babysitting. It might be a good compromise.

Before having kids, I must admit that we frequented adults only resorts and even an adults only cruise. So, we're sensitive to folks who would like peace and quiet. However, we do fly first class from time to time with the kids and we do continue to vacation. The key is having control over your kids and respecting others around you. As a frequent business traveler, I've encountered far more mis-behaving adults in first class than kids. A good set or noise cancelling headphones usually takes care of both!:)

Jaffa: You are certainly entitled to your minority opinion. Just to clear up your misunderstanding about what was posted before you joined the thread. . . . a few of us were joking that no one was flaming us and we could actually post openly. We were just having fun with it. In addidtion to enjoying the thread we were able to give OP some helpful answers.

Hi All,

We have friends who have recently had a baby and would love to cruise as soon as he is a little bigger. They would definately be more comfortable on a luxury cruise ship.

:)

To the original poster, if you haven't given up completely, I concur about Cunard. I have no direct experience, but have cruise buddies who have done crossing now twice, I believe, with their toddler. They had a very good experience. Their favourite cruise line is Seabourn, I believe, but they do this sans kid.

No Travelcat 2,

I am sure and confident that l did not misread your posts at all.

Below are your own quotes in question. They are very clear and don't hold any punches.

"Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease don't send them to Regent."

"Goingany other time of the year and they are bound to be evil eye stars, people walking away from whatever area there are in, et"

"Unfortunately, people with babies and toddlers don't think about the fact that many of us have "been there -- done that" and no longer wish to vacation with crying babies, children splashing in the pool, etc."

I am sure that if you have printed something you wish changed the moderators would be happy for you to request it.

I accept that both RSSC and Crystal during summer and holidays have special programes for the kids, because family's and kids are higher in numbers during those times of the year.

But the facts are that both Crystal and RSSC now welcomes family's all year round.

They advertise this fact.

They have both also announced that in 2010 they have changed there marketing stratergy's to directly target family's with children.

I know that this change may not be popular with a minority of regulars of the above cruiselines, but you always have the option of voting with your feet and finding other cruising choices.

RSSC's head Mark Conroy said during a speech to Seatrade in October

That RSSC felt there was a "market hole" for family's in the luxury segment and due to the GFC RSSC wanted to take advantage of this and RSSC believed it was best placed to fill the void.

He said the many varied international dates for the school year, holidays and school breaks meant that somewhere in the world, many family's were seeking a luxury cruise vacation outside the traditional American summer cruise season.

At the same conference Crystal made similar statements, but reinforced that they have always been family friendly but now wanted to offer even more for their under 18 passengers .

The cruise industry news then reported that the 2 Lux lines seem to going head to head for the lux family market.

To make absolutley sure of this, today l phoned both RSSC and Crystal and they confirmed family's with children were welcome on board year round, and that at certain times of the year (holiday's and the American summer) They offer extra programes to give mum and dad a bit more free time and space.

The OP should feel comfortable in the knowledge that the above cruise lines and the majority of fellow passengers will welcome them with open arms, and not to worry about a few sour puss's.

Well, Jaffa, I recall reading how overjoyed you were that SILVERSEA decided not to actively pursue the recruitment of children onboard, so I think that your comments to Travelcat2 (and others) are very unfair.

I question whether your comments in this thread are as PRO-family as they seemed to be at first glance, or rather they are intended to direct people with children toward Crystal and Regent as luxury alternatives so that families with children will not (at least not in larger numbers) invade YOUR favorite cruise line!

As you posted to Silversea executives in a thread called "Children on SS" (post 154):

"The public should always know up front, Silversea is not for children!

Thank you for keeping me loyal. You had me really concerned there for a while.

Congradulations! on a decision and a job well done."

I do understand your desire to have a more adult experience on Silversea or anywhere else, because we want a more adult experience ourselves, but really, I do think your comments were unfair and manipulative trying to channel family cruisers away from the line you prefer to cruise.

If there is something executives should take away from all this it is that the vast majority of folks who cruise on luxury lines now and for the next decade (or more) want an adult experience, not to pay to subsidize large numbers of children onboard who pay substantially less (or nothing, in some promotions).

And I'll add that on my two Silversea cruises during summer we had at least 20 kids on board for each cruise, two of them infants, and the kids all seemed to be loving the exprience on Silversea. So, see, no matter what line, if there are kids on board, it's what they make of it. While none of us may like it when our favorite line is taken over by large numbers of kids, I guess it's something we will have to expect if the cruise lines are to attract new passengers and remain viable. BTW, I'll fully admit I'm not a fan of kids on the luxury lines due to the fact that I've had cruises negatively impacted by unruly kids on both Crystal and Regent. If I'm paying so much money (single supplement and all) I don't want my cruise ruined by kids who's parents are totally ignorant of their kids' behavior.

• 2 weeks later...
And I'll add that on my two Silversea cruises during summer we had at least 20 kids on board for each cruise, two of them infants, and the kids all seemed to be loving the exprience on Silversea. So, see, no matter what line, if there are kids on board, it's what they make of it. While none of us may like it when our favorite line is taken over by large numbers of kids, I guess it's something we will have to expect if the cruise lines are to attract new passengers and remain viable. BTW, I'll fully admit I'm not a fan of kids on the luxury lines due to the fact that I've had cruises negatively impacted by unruly kids on both Crystal and Regent. If I'm paying so much money (single supplement and all) I don't want my cruise ruined by kids who's parents are totally ignorant of their kids' behavior.

As you indicate, it is the parents who are totally ignorant of their kids' behavior that is the issue. A well behaved child who respects the environment they are in is the responsibility of the parent.

I have travelled with my child since she was 4. She is 14 and has been to 25 countries and is the better for it. Although she is not booked on my next Regent Cruise much to her dismay :)

• 3 months later...

As someone who likes luxury travel but has kids, I have to agree that the two things don't match. Honestly, it's no fun unless the kids are having fun. So we are going mass market (royal caribean) until the kids are old enough to stay with Grandma.

As someone who likes luxury travel but has kids, I have to agree that the two things don't match. Honestly, it's no fun unless the kids are having fun. So we are going mass market (royal caribean) until the kids are old enough to stay with Grandma.

Bravo. As a parent myself, I accepted the fact that their needs came before mine.

I may be wrong here, but I imagine a water slide and rock climbing wall would be of more interest to a kid than, say, gourmet cuisine or the all-inclusive environment.

Archived