2 questions-eating and touring

beebee

My husband and I will be on a Bermuda cruise in June with another couple. I have two questions that I hope those of you who have been there before will be able to answer.

#1 Since we will be off the ship for most of the day doing all kinds of exploring, does anyone have a favorite restaurant or know of one that they could recommend for lunch? We would like someplace that is somewhat representative of Bermuda.

#2 Since it will be our first time there, would you recommend a tour by a professional tour guide or do you think that we would be able to see the sights on our own? We have no problem taking the busses and ferries but we want to make sure we don't miss any of the "must sees".

Thanks for any help you can share!

My husband and I will be on a Bermuda cruise in June with another couple. I have two questions that I hope those of you who have been there before will be able to answer.

#1 Since we will be off the ship for most of the day doing all kinds of exploring, does anyone have a favorite restaurant or know of one that they could recommend for lunch? We would like someplace that is somewhat representative of Bermuda.

#2 Since it will be our first time there, would you recommend a tour by a professional tour guide or do you think that we would be able to see the sights on our own? We have no problem taking the busses and ferries but we want to make sure we don't miss any of the "must sees".

Our Bermuda cruise to Bermuda is coming up in May--this will be our 2nd. We enjoyed eating lunch at the "Frog and Onion Pub" in the Dockyard. Not cheap, but the food was good and we felt that it gave us a "feel" of Bermuda. This time around, we hope to stop by at the Swizzle Inn.

When we first visited Bermuda, we took an organized tour which brought us to several places of interest. We also took the bus another day and did our own thing.

Hope you have an enjoyable cruise and visit in Bermuda.

Our favorite place to eat is the Hog Penny Inn (in Hamilton). It's a small pub tucked away on a side street, you can see it from Front Street.

http://www.hogpennypub.com/index2.html

For the true Bermuda experience, order the Bermuda Fish Chowder. When served they'll ask if you want a shot of dark rum and sherry peppers in the chowder -- be sure to say yes.

If you're in St. George then try the Whitehorse Inn, it's within site of where the cruise ships dock. If it's a nice day sit out on their porch to eat, overlooking the canal.

http://www.whitehorsebermuda.com/

We've eaten at a few of the places at the Dockyard and they're okay, but more touristy -- you can get typical pub food at home.

As for the tour, consider hiring a cab for your own private tour. The regulated rate is $40 per hour. If there's four to six of you it becomes more affordable (many of the cabs are mini-vans). Either plan your own itinerary or ask the driver to show you the sites.

We ate at the Swizzle Inn and LOVED it!!! The kids thought it was great that they could write their names on the wall.

We always get the 3-day bus/ferry pass. Bermuda is easily traversed with great public transportation. I highly recommend the Bermuda Aquarium Museum and Zoo (BAMZ) and the Crystal Caves.

Also, St. George's is a beautiful, quaint town with tons of history. Do not miss the Unfinished Church there. Hamilton is great for shopping. And, the Dockyard has recently been renovated and has great shops, too. We always come home with a couple dozen rum cakes from the Rum Cake Factory there.

And, of course, the beaches are breath-taking! Snorkel Park is within walking distance from the ship (if you're docked at the Dockyard).

Which ship and which week in June? We'll be on NCL Dawn sailing June 13th.

We are also sailing on June 13th but we will be on the Celebrity Summit. We leave from Port Liberty in New Jersey. Where does NCL leave from? Where do you dock in Bermuda?

NCL's Dawn sails from New York, and the Spirit sails from Boston.

Both berth at the Dockyard when in Bermuda.

Archived