Noordam Cooking Classes

thumper860

The menus will vary -- chefs tend to change them. When you board the ship you can inquire at the front desk as to the times and what will be prepared. There are usually 3 cooking classes on a 10 day cruise.

You can also sign up for the classes at the "Welcome to Culinary Arts Center" tour in the Queen's Lounge -- your daily program will list the time for this.

The cost is $29 per person and is limited to 12 people per class.

Does anyone have information with respect to the cooking classes on the Noordam? On a 10 day cruise how many classes would be offered? How many people are in each class? What does the menu include? Thanks

I recently did one of the cooking classes on the Zaandam and had a great time. There were 8 of us in the class and we did 3 Italian dishes: salad, appetizer and main - all of which turned out wonderfully.

Afterwards we went into the Pinnacle Grill to enjoy our meal. HAL had set up a table for us, very elegantly, and provided wine for us to enjoy with our meal. We were given HAL aprons as a memento. The whole experience was great.

• 2 years later...

I took two cooking classes on the Ryndam six years ago on the Alaskan cruise. The class was conducted by the head chef of the Pinnacle Grill. There were 6 of us in attendance. The chef was great, knowledgeable and a good teacher. It was a great experience.

Fast forward to the cooking class on the Noordam in January 2012. The class was taught by a relatively new (to the ship) and seemingly, not that high up in chef's senority. Also present was "Party Planner Taylor". The format was quite strange in that of the fourteen tasks available (I broke the prep steps into 14) , the eight students were allowed to do only four tasks. The chef and Taylor did all the rest, not allowing the students to participate at all. Taylor assumed the role of "sous chef" but was way over her head in cooking skills. We handled raw chicken and there was no discussion of salmonella or cleanliness, no discussion of knife safety. One step involved browning the chicken in oil but Taylor refused to share this task, even when directly requested. The chef had to twice run to fetch more lemons while Taylor just stood around. All in all, it was a waste of time. I wrote a complaint form before leaving the ship but heard nothing. Save your money and just attend the demos. That what this "class" was, just a demo.

I took two cooking classes on the Ryndam six years ago on the Alaskan cruise. The class was conducted by the head chef of the Pinnacle Grill. There were 6 of us in attendance. The chef was great, knowledgeable and a good teacher. It was a great experience.

Fast forward to the cooking class on the Noordam in January 2012. The class was taught by a relatively new (to the ship) and seemingly, not that high up in chef's senority. Also present was "Party Planner Taylor". The format was quite strange in that of the fourteen tasks available (I broke the prep steps into 14) , the eight students were allowed to do only four tasks. The chef and Taylor did all the rest, not allowing the students to participate at all. Taylor assumed the role of "sous chef" but was way over her head in cooking skills. We handled raw chicken and there was no discussion of salmonella or cleanliness, no discussion of knife safety. One step involved browning the chicken in oil but Taylor refused to share this task, even when directly requested. The chef had to twice run to fetch more lemons while Taylor just stood around. All in all, it was a waste of time. I wrote a complaint form before leaving the ship but heard nothing. Save your money and just attend the demos. That what this "class" was, just a demo.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Sorry to hear that the cooking classes are going down hill.

I recently did one of the cooking classes on the Zaandam and had a great time. There were 8 of us in the class and we did 3 Italian dishes: salad, appetizer and main - all of which turned out wonderfully.

Afterwards we went into the Pinnacle Grill to enjoy our meal. HAL had set up a table for us, very elegantly, and provided wine for us to enjoy with our meal. We were given HAL aprons as a memento. The whole experience was great.

That sounds fun. I've never really considered doing one of the classes, but your description is tempting me. :) Thanks.

:D

And this post makes it far less tempting. :eek:

Thank you, also. :)

Archived