Looking for recommendations...

MamaParrotHead

I have received a few gift cards for Sears and am looking to upgrade our luggage. I'm putting this here because I obviously want something durable BUT don't want a set that's going to be real heavy and put my bag's weight limit over, and wondered what you all had and would/would not recommend.

Any input or thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Don't know if you can get them at Sears (never been there myself other than the tyre shop!) but when I think of decent luggage it'd be Rimowa, Mandarina Duck, Briggs & Riley, Zero Halliburton, Hartmann or Tumi.

A little cheaper Samsonite and Travelpro get good writeups and have heard good things about Costco's own Kirkland range! Obviously the latter won't be available at Sears.

Personally I use Tumi and my wife has Bric's for carry-on and Samsonite for checked pieces.

After just a half of year traveling international, I will never buy cloth luggage again:rolleyes:.

Looks like they are 20 years old now... So, my next set will be the kind that looks like metal but are really the hybrid plastic kind. Seems like the ones I've seen really hold up to the abuse that luggage handlers enjoy giving:o They also are light in weight.

John

I have traveled extensively with TravelPro luggage. They are bombproof! After 10 international flights and 40+ domestic flights they are in good operating condition. I like to travel light, so the rollaboards have been on sidewalks, streets, and stairs worldwide. The wheels and bearings are fine. There are a few scuffs and scrapes but that's it. The only damage was a small puncture to one bag which AA repaired.

Previous luggage was American Tourister hardside. It was US-made and before someone figured out wheels on luggage were a cool thing! So it's probably not relevant for selecting luggage today. Cosmetically, the hardshell luggage got a lot more damage....scrapes, scuffs, dented corners, etc.

I've read some of the "designer label" luggage is good while others are more status than substance. And occasional luggage theft rings caught at airports say they would target expensive designer luggage.

The Costco/Kirkland suggestion is good since Costco has an excellent return policy. That doesn't help if you have a broken zipper or strap in Bolivia though. :) It can make the rest of the trip an ordeal.

A couple of thoughts for your consideration:

1) There is no reason why it must be a "set" or even a matching collection. And don't let the "set" drive a purchase decision where you get pieces that don't fit your needs.

2) Know what types of packing you will be doing. Will you need the dimensions and shape of a "box" type suitcase or could you use a rolling duffle? It doesn't help to have the wrong shaped bag for your contents.

3) How often will this be used? No sense buying a $600 suitcase that gets used once a year, unless you have a ton of disposable cash - at least IMO.

4) What are your primary goals? Light weight? Many pockets and organizational features? Durability?

5) What amount of "stuff" do you plan to be taking? It doesn't help if your bag is too big, or too small, for your projected needs.

When you have your target goals in mind, then you can move to purchasing what fits those needs. My personal favorite right now is the EBags Mother Lode rolling duffle. Lots of nice design features, light weight, and the ability to carry a lot of "stuff". Durability seems good for the price, though you don't have the "box" shape for larger items or suits/dresses. Also, you have a soft-side design for the upper half of the duffle.

In a pullman style, Samsonite makes some plastic clamshell cases that are quite minimalist for light weight. I see them a lot overseas and I think they are for those who really want a light "sorta" hard-side bag. More traditionally, Travelpro or Delsey is the minimum I would recommend for any kind of longer term use, with Briggs & Riley as a step up. Tumi and Hartmann make great bags, though you need to travel a lot to amortize the initial costs, again in my opinion.

Mostly, I say to know your needs and research what will fill them at the price-level you are comfortable with. Whether you will find that at Sears or not, I can't speak to.

Thanks, FT.

1) There is no reason why it must be a "set" or even a matching collection. And don't let the "set" drive a purchase decision where you get pieces that don't fit your needs. I realized that, after doing my research all day today. I'm definately open to buying a few pieces, as I all ready have a decent rolling garment bag and a decent 25" upright. No need for the smaller cases.

2) Know what types of packing you will be doing. Will you need the dimensions and shape of a "box" type suitcase or could you use a rolling duffle? It doesn't help to have the wrong shaped bag for your contents.

I really have no set way I absolutely NEED to pack. The clothing I do pack that I don't want wrinkled goes into my rolling garment bag. Other than that, I generally roll my clothing and/or use the large ziplocs.

3) How often will this be used? No sense buying a $600 suitcase that gets used once a year, unless you have a ton of disposable cash - at least IMO.

We cruise/vacation once a year, with maybe a few long weekend trips inbetween. No real need for gorilla-proof cases. I'm just looking for something that the zipper won't blow out on and the metal piping on the corners won't pop out (as my hand-me-down cases in the past have).

4) What are your primary goals? Light weight? Many pockets and organizational features? Durability? Primarly goals are lightweight and durable, yet we don't use them a TON, so they won't be used and/or abused that often.

5) What amount of "stuff" do you plan to be taking? It doesn't help if your bag is too big, or too small, for your projected needs. I normally go right up to the 50 pound limit on my 25" upright. The zippers aren't bulging by any means, but it's a snug fit.

Also consider whether you will someday prefer to carry on your main bag, rather than checking. A 25" bag is usually too large to carry onboard. A bag that's checked will obviously get more abuse than on you take on the plane with you.

I have Tumi 24" rollerboard that has quite a few miles on it, and it's now about 17 years old and still going strong, so it was well worth its original price.

A long time ago; in a galaxy far, far away I purchased a Skyway garment bag that both rolls and is easy to pack because all I have to do is remove hung clothes (suits included) from the closet and hang them in the bag. However in the age of baggage fees :mad: I use a roll aboard duffel bag (Samsonite) I purchased when I took a trip that was too long (and not casual enough) to just use a gym bag. It fits in the overhead compartment perfectly and on the next trip where I need a suit, I'll just wear the jacket on the plane. :cool:

My wife and I have been using TravelPro for several years. I average 90-100,000 butt-in-seat airline miles annually, my wife half that. We always check bags as I have a big carryon rolling briefcase/computer bag that takes up almost as much space as a 22" roller.

Half the TP bags have been fabulous, the other half fell apart. So my current policy is to think about cheap bags, replaced often. I'm also a maniac about sales. Luggage is like mattresses - not only planned obsolescence, but umpteen different styles released annually to create market segmentation.

Scour the newspaper ads, and go to http://www.ebags.com/ to price-compare.

Archived