Which cruise should I pick based on these destinations?

AdamInKC

We are looking to book a 10 day Caribbean cruise for 2011 and contemplating between the following cruises. Based on these destinations, which would you pick and why? Of the destinations below, we have only been to St. Thomas. We are in our early 30's if that helps.

Choice 1 - Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados, St. Kitts, St. Thomas and Princess Cays with 3 Sea Days on the Emerald

Choice 2 - St. Thomas, Dominica, Grenada, Bonaire, Aruba and Princess Cays with 3 Sea Days on the Emerald

Choice 3 - Aruba, Cartagena (Columbia), Panama Canal (Panama), Colon - Cristobal (Panama), Lima (Costa Rica) and Ochos Rios (Jamaica) with 4 Sea Days on the Island Princess or Coral Princess

Thanks!!!

We are looking to book a 10 day Caribbean cruise for 2011 and contemplating between the following cruises. Based on these destinations, which would you pick and why? Of the destinations below, we have only been to St. Thomas. We are in our early 30's if that helps.

Choice 1 - Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados, St. Kitts, St. Thomas and Princess Cays with 3 Sea Days

Choice 2 - St. Thomas, Dominica, Grenada, Bonaire, Aruba and Princess Cays with 3 Sea Days

Choice 3 - Aruba, Cartagena (Columbia), Panama Canal (Panama), Colon - Cristobal (Panama), Lima (Costa Rica) and Ochos Rios (Jamaica) with 4 Sea Days

Thanks!!!

I have done all 3 itineraries and it is difficult to pick my favourite. They are all pretty terrific.

If you want to go part way through the Panama Canal, then pick that one. It is a very interesting itinerary.

The other 2 are even Steven to me.

The ship, however, now that's another thing. I much preferred the Emerald or Ruby over the Island or Coral (which goes through the Canal).

Any of the 3 are great picks.

Judy

Some of this really depends on when you are planning to cruise. For the islands, I prefer Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados – especially if you like to take Catamaran or other sailing and snorkeling. St. Kitts is nice and Princess Cays will be nice and warm in later May (as will all the islands. St. Thomas is ok, but you have to also do US customs which is a pain. Make sure you get out of the town for a trip inland or a nice sail.

Dominica, Grenada and Bonaire are ok especially if you are looking to do in-land stuff or like to shop at Diamonds International (Tanzanite, etc.). I am not a fan of Aruba – it has a couple donkeys, a collapsed natural bridge and a bunch of cactus – a stay on the ship and get a quiet suntan day.

Cartagena is GREAT for sightseeing – the forts are first rate. Panama Canal is a must see – must do, and Lima is great fun for tours. Ochos Rios has some great tours – but don’t do a walk around town here… not so great without a tour (Princess or local).

On ships – my all time favorite (after the Royal) is the Coral. So, if you pick the partial transit, take the Coral.

On my suggestion – take the partial transit of the Panama Canal. Soon they will be opening the new canal, and I really doubt the old canal will still be used. This is an original wonder of the world and is really worth the trip. And you get Cartagena and Lima as added extras. Take the trip up the locks and then back down them – as the perspective is completely different and absolutely worth staying on the ship.

Else, take the Choice 1, as the islands are beautiful and fun.

To me, there's no comparison here: the Panama Canal is absolutely fantastic. Hands down, my favourite cruise experience so far. I did a full transit on the Coral, the Island's twin sister -- a fabulous ship that is rightfully popular amongst Princess fans. However, your partial transit itinerary will offer an excursion that takes you all the way through the Canal on a smaller ship -- you must do this! Really, the Canal is just amazing. As far as the rest of the ports on that itinerary, Cartagena is a stand-out, Aruba is a great beach day -- most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean, in my opinion, and the others are just so-so. So overall, maybe not the best ports of the three. But the Canal -- have I mentioned how great I thought it was??!!

Panama Canal would be my choice. It is truly exciting to transit the canal, even a partial transit. The Coral is a great ship and the Emerald is also, should you choose it; but, if you are looking for an unbelievable experience do the Canal.;)

Choice 1 - Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados, St. Kitts, St. Thomas and Princess Cays with 3 Sea Days on the Emerald

Choice 2 - St. Thomas, Dominica, Grenada, Bonaire, Aruba and Princess Cays with 3 Sea Days on the Emerald

Choice 3 - Aruba, Cartagena (Columbia), Panama Canal (Panama), Colon - Cristobal (Panama), Lima (Costa Rica) and Ochos Rios (Jamaica) with 4 Sea Days on the Island Princess or Coral Princess

Thanks!!!

If you have not gone thru the Canal, thats my choice. Coach P

Archived