Concierge lounge question

DachshundsRule

I just can`t believe that the Exeutive Lounge has a better Concierge than the bright

and beautifull Samantha.

Fred

...............and in your doubt you would be quite correct. I did not have the pleasure of meeting Samantha but I was frequently in the the Executive lounge when the concierge was present. He sat behind a desk and appeared to be quite engrossed with his computer screen. If addressed directly he responded (minimally).

My experiences were on the maiden voyage. The gentleman may have gone on to duties more appropriate to his skills.

................ in the the Executive lounge when the concierge was present. He sat behind a desk and appeared to be quite engrossed with his computer screen. If addressed directly he responded (minimally).

........... whereas Samantha, when not at her desk, was frequently seen at Reception desk making various arrangement for passengers. Of course, the Oxford educated Samantha is your exemplary concierge. She always listened well, and would meticulously offer solution or help to any question or request, in a most genuine manner.

Keith, the concierge on deck 5 off reception area, is also very helpful and experienced. His background as Front Desk Manager ( on another line ) certainly helped.

I hope one of these two bright stars from UK will be on Riviera's maiden voyage.

I also found Keith (Bruno's assistant) to be quite personable and, more important, quite helpful.

Keith Hill is probably the best overall Concierge that we have ever had the pleasure to sail with. Because of his herculean efforts, our cruise was effortless, thrilling and elegant.

We were lucky that Mr. Hill was there, because we NEVER SAW the usually omnipresent Bruno. He was nowhere to be seen. We literally never saw him once.

Since there are more levels of staff on the Marina, we came across a (very) few employees who chose to explain to us why something was not their job rather than getting it done. Keith, however, approached each situation as if he could accomplish anything single handed. And he very often did!

When a task was something that had to be delegated, he took responsibility for monitoring it's progress and was wonderful about contacting us when it was done.

Although we were only two of hundreds of passengers that he was serving, we never passed through the entrance lobby without his indicating, by way of a wink or a smile, or a thumbs up, that our plans were safe in his hands.

Bravo Keith!!

I did not know that Samantha was "Oxford" educated, but whatever she was, she was TOPS. Absolutely fabulous. And I agree with JimandStan that whenever we had a question of whomever, no one said they didn't know, they always found an answer. What a top quality group of folks. We loved Carmen, her fiancee George, Marco, Boris--all the same TOP quality.

We, too, never saw Bruno, but in all fairness to him, he may have disembarked when the executive staff did so that he could meet us arriving in Miami. I never had the opportunity of meeting Keith, but I did see him everywhere.

You have to love Marina--actually, Oceania. They are doing somethiing right!!!!

Keith Hill is probably the best overall Concierge that we have ever had the pleasure to sail with...<snip>

As an example, when Jim and I approached Keith with the guest list for the

CC M & G and the text for the invitation, Keith kept up a bright conversation about learning Arabic in addition to his other languages, and compared it to the Klingon language he had learned as a devotee of Star Trek and Star Wars. As he talked, his hands were subtly busy at his keyboard. When we asked if he would print out the invitations, he reached down to his printer (under his desk) and produced a stack of printed invitations that he had created, prepared and printed without seeming to break his attention to the conversation.

Outstanding.

We did have occasion to see Bruno, as well, and after his initial slightly rude behavior (no doubt brought about by stress), he was more than helpful to us in several different situations and was back to the smiling, friendly Bruno that we had expected to find.

We found Samantha to be bright, meticulous and willing to help, but were a little put off by her reserved manner, no doubt a factor of her UK heritage. She was almost too perfect, and it would have been nice to see her let her hair down a bit.

We, too, never saw Bruno, but in all fairness to him, he may have disembarked when the executive staff did so that he could meet us arriving in Miami. I never had the opportunity of meeting Keith, but I did see him everywhere.

.....!

Bruno was there all the way on maiden voyage. Being the Executive Conceirge, he provided advice to Keith , Samantha, and Julio ( deck 11 concierge) and was behind the scene most of the time. I know, as Keith and Samantha told me they had to seek Bruno's advice. Bruno also organized Privee for us.

Those of us on maiden voyage saw the tremendous workload on the crew, especially when we had 11 sea days and only 2 port days,when they had to contend with a shipload of passengers all the time. All 5 staff at Front Desk were new to Oceania. One of them didn't even know who Bob Binder was! Imagine Bruno's load.

We found Samantha to be bright, meticulous and willing to help, but were a little put off by her reserved manner, no doubt a factor of her UK heritage. She was almost too perfect, and it would have been nice to see her let her hair down a bit.

\\

I actually think Samantha is the prototype of a high level concierge. The way she presents herself is with radiance, elegance and professionalism. My wife and I appreciate her genteel and cultivated style.

Oceania is an understated , substantial, and very elegant cruise line, and Samantha represents that image wonderfully. She is perfect.

For the type of employees who let their hair down while on duty, they should work for Carnival.

......., because we NEVER SAW the usually omnipresent Bruno. He was nowhere to be seen. We literally never saw him once.

......!!

I join you in giving high compliments to Keith. Maiden voyage was his first stint as concierge. He brought with him years of experience in managing Front Desk and Reception.

However, Bruno deserves recognition and praises. Simply because he was not highly visible, it would not mean that he wasn't working hard behind the scene. Keith, Julio and Samantha were the ones that had direct contact with passengers, while Bruno had to be their consultant and problem solvers, such as finding lost luggage for passengers. I thank him for his great leadership for being the head concierge.

Tak 2, I agree totally with you. Samantha's elegance and professionalism is what we need more of--not one who lets their hair down. I am actually stunned by that remark. You state it much more eloquently than I, and thanks for having someone of Samantha's quality--it speaks well of Oceania. No, Carnival quality folks are not for me. Those folks like Samantha are what bring me back to O.

I guess we are used to "reserved manner," and will continue to be so.

We are in Cabin 9022 Cat A4 which is across from the Concierge Lounge and Laundry Room on the March 16th cruise. Does anyone know where the entrance door for the Concierge Lounge and Laundry is in relation to our room. We switched from 9028 as it looked like it was next to the laundry room and might be a busy place to be across from.

Joan and Barry

We are in Cabin 9022 Cat A4 which is across from the Concierge Lounge and Laundry Room on the March 16th cruise. Does anyone know where the entrance door for the Concierge Lounge and Laundry is in relation to our room. We switched from 9028 as it looked like it was next to the laundry room and might be a busy place to be across from.

Joan and Barry

The Concierge Lounge door is almost directly across the hall from 9026 where Hondorner and the lovely Betsy were "living" on the Inaugural Passage.

150040.jpg

The Laundry was opposite 9030, but the room is large enough so that there is no congregating in the hall.

For the type of employees who let their hair down while on duty, they should work for Carnival.

...not one who lets their hair down. I am actually stunned by that remark....

Not nearly as "stunned" as I was that equating letting one's hair down "a bit" with anything to do with Carnival. Frank Del Rio let's his hair down, Bruno is known to smile, Keith is a Star Trek fan and has a marvelous, dry sense of humor; almost all of the public staff from waiters to room attendants are personable and friendly. Samantha may be the perfect, reserved, "veddy British" concierge, but she is a bit stuffy when it comes to personal interaction. If that's what "elegant" means, I'm glad the rest of the staff are more relaxed.

The Concierge Lounge door is almost directly across the hall from 9026 where Hondorner and the lovely Betsy were "living" on the Inaugural Passage.

150040.jpg

The Laundry was opposite 9030, but the room is large enough so that there is no congregating in the hall.

Is there only one laundry room on the Marina or are there others on other decks?

There is a laundry room on every deck that has passenger cabins (another reason for the lack of crowds)

This is excellent news. We've been on the Insignia and Regatta in the past - having only one laundry room available for the entire ship was not particularly convenient.

Not nearly as "stunned" as I was that equating letting one's hair down "a bit" with anything to do with Carnival. Frank Del Rio let's his hair down, Bruno is known to smile, Keith is a Star Trek fan and has a marvelous, dry sense of humor; almost all of the public staff from waiters to room attendants are personable and friendly. Samantha may be the perfect, reserved, "veddy British" concierge, but she is a bit stuffy when it comes to personal interaction. If that's what "elegant" means, I'm glad the rest of the staff are more relaxed.

According to Cambridge Idioms Dictionary, 2nd Edition, 2006, the meaning of 'let your hair down' is 'to relax and enjoy yourself without worrying what other people will think'. This origin of this phrase was in the 17th Century, and it was to describe a commonplace part of women's activities in allowing hair to be unpinned. The term used for the time was 'dishevelling'. The synonyms to this term was 'muss', 'tousle', or simply defined to be 'messed up' or 'in a state of disarray'.

I found it unusual to hear this phrase, ' let's his hair down' in being used to described Mr. Frank Del Rio. I have not had the privilege to know Mr. Del Rio socially, nor had the opportunity to say hello to him on the Marina during the maiden voyage. However, I remember noticing him in working attentively as I watched him from a distance while he was putting up pictures in front of the Jacques restaurant. Mr. Del Rio was the well-known public figure representing his Company on the Marina. He offered an image as a 'down to earth' person and dedicating himself to be 'hands-on' in getting his work done in a serious manner. To me, in front of his guests, he was setting a good example as a great leader to his dedicated team. Nothing 'dishevelling' about him at all!

The descriptions of 'Concierge' in the Oceania brochure are:

"French in origin, the term 'concierge' evolved from a phrase for the person entrusted with caring for visiting nobility. How appropriate, as guests staying in our Concierge Level Veranda Staterooms receive the royal treatment"

In offering the above explicit statements, Oceania has advised prospective passengers to decide whether they belong to the visiting nobility in receiving royal treatments.

It was a pity that whoever claimed to be 'put off by her (Samantha's) reserved manner, no doubt a factor of her UK heritage' must not have read or understood the descriptions in the brochure and ended up somewhere he did not belong.

The word, 'reserved' describes a "formal manner" which does not carry negative connotation. However, in stating as being 'put off' by Samantha's reserved manner as related to her UK heritage, it has put forth a strong insult to her heritage background and culture.

Further, in mocking Samantha to be 'veddy British' and 'a bit stuffy', I felt such were very rude comments and were totally unjustified. The synonyms of the word 'stuffy' are 'pompous' and 'pretentious'.

I wondered if a guest would approach Samantha in the Conciege Lounge and uttered the above words to her and while Mr. Del Rio was there, what would the great leader have done?

Oceania is a great cruise line and has attracted a huge number of very educated world travellers who like to go places and meet people. Travel experiences should help to open one's eyes and mind in learning and to respect different cultures and heritage of the countries. Unfortunately, not everyone is open-minded, cultivated and can learn.

'Some people walk in the rain, others simply get wet'.

What a pity, but how true!!

According to Cambridge Idioms Dictionary, 2nd Edition, 2006, the meaning of 'let your hair down' is 'to relax and enjoy yourself without worrying what other people will think'. This origin of this phrase was in the 17th Century, and it was to describe a commonplace part of women's activities in allowing hair to be unpinned. The term used for the time was 'dishevelling'. The synonyms to this term was 'muss', 'tousle', or simply defined to be 'messed up' or 'in a state of disarray'.

I found it unusual to hear this phrase, ' let's his hair down' in being used to described Mr. Frank Del Rio. I have not had the privilege to know Mr. Del Rio socially, nor had the opportunity to say hello to him on the Marina during the maiden voyage. However, I remember noticing him in working attentively as I watched him from a distance while he was putting up pictures in front of the Jacques restaurant. Mr. Del Rio was the well-known public figure representing his Company on the Marina. He offered an image as a 'down to earth' person and dedicating himself to be 'hands-on' in getting his work done in a serious manner. To me, in front of his guests, he was setting a good example as a great leader to his dedicated team. Nothing 'dishevelling' about him at all!

The descriptions of 'Concierge' in the Oceania brochure are:

"French in origin, the term 'concierge' evolved from a phrase for the person entrusted with caring for visiting nobility. How appropriate, as guests staying in our Concierge Level Veranda Staterooms receive the royal treatment"

In offering the above explicit statements, Oceania has advised prospective passengers to decide whether they belong to the visiting nobility in receiving royal treatments.

It was a pity that whoever claimed to be 'put off by her (Samantha's) reserved manner, no doubt a factor of her UK heritage' must not have read or understood the descriptions in the brochure and ended up somewhere he did not belong.

The word, 'reserved' describes a "formal manner" which does not carry negative connotation. However, in stating as being 'put off' by Samantha's reserved manner as related to her UK heritage, it has put forth a strong insult to her heritage background and culture.

Further, in mocking Samantha to be 'veddy British' and 'a bit stuffy', I felt such were very rude comments and were totally unjustified. The synonyms of the word 'stuffy' are 'pompous' and 'pretentious'.

I wondered if a guest would approach Samantha in the Conciege Lounge and uttered the above words to her and while Mr. Del Rio was there, what would the great leader have done?

Oceania is a great cruise line and has attracted a huge number of very educated world travellers who like to go places and meet people. Travel experiences should help to open one's eyes and mind in learning and to respect different cultures and heritage of the countries. Unfortunately, not everyone is open-minded, cultivated and can learn.

'Some people walk in the rain, others simply get wet'.

What a pity, but how true!!

I'll let it up to others to determine what's rude...

Amen, TAK2.

I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity of meeting Mr. Del Rio, and after doing so, I find the quality of staff, such as Samantha, right in line with what he sees his line to represent and what I expect, thus my loyalty to the line.

I, too, was impressed when I saw Mr. Del Rio and Mr. Binder tending personally to many details, such as picture location, alignment, etc.

Thank you for your eloquent and precise explanations.

My husband had an interesting experience with Frank del Rio on the maiden voyage which, I believe, shows the kind of person he is.

One morning my husband wandered down to the executive lounge for a cup of coffee. Upon entering he found another passenger getting coffee, and Mr. Del Rio was there, in his shirt sleeves, measuring the sofa and its surrounding space. My husband and Mr. Del Rio introduced themselves to one another and shook hands. They both then turned to the other man in the lounge and introduced themselves to him. That gentleman, after having been introduced to Frank Del Rio asked him "do you work here?" Mr. Del Rio's simple answer - "Why, yes, I do."

Pretty cool, IMHO.:)

I'll let it up to others to determine what's rude...

At first I chalked it up to just being too literal in interpretation of the phrase "let your hair down", then I realized we were in the presence of Royalty.

As a friend of mine would say, 'Some people just need to get over themselves."

Wine is not available in the concierge lounge. You can get cold drinks, sandwiches, yogurt, etc. but no alcoholic beverages. You can, however, bring your own wine onboard without it being confiscated. That is a plus in my book! Also, if you are a returning passenger and receive a welcome bottle of champagne, you can turn it into a bottle of wine at the dinner table. Give them your room number and it's available every night until finished. ;)

Archived