Ventura Afternoon Tea

Shellzbellz

My daughter (aged 9) and I have started going for afternoon tea together in nice hotels whenever we can. We love the elegant experience of the china teapot, cups and cake stand with delicate sandwiches and cakes. I have read somewhere that there is afternoon tea served on P&O ships but wondered was it the kind of elegant event we love or more a matter of sandwiches and pastries set out in the buffet.

Any information would be appreciated.

There is afternoon tea served in the buffet but there is also afternoon tea waiter served in the restaurant at 4pm, which is much more elegant. Choice of different teas, or coffee, finger sandwiches, scones, clotted cream, cakes etc.

Brian

We felt a little let down with the afternoon tea on Ventura, we joined a table of 8 (there being the two of us) and by the time we joined the table, those who were at the table had already eaten most of the goodies on offer, and they werent replenished for ourselves :(, I also felt that the tables put aside for afternoon tea where just shoved in a corner in the restuarant. That being the case, we decided just to take part in afternoon tea just the once on Ventura.

I would suggest therefore that when you arrive for your afternoon tea, that you ask for your own table, then you'll have more of a choice of goodies!! No complaints about the food what they served though, and it was served on the tall cake stand!!

I think we had been spoilt by afternoon tea on the QM2 on our previous cruises.

Enjoy your cruise

Jenni

Did you actually ask for any more cakes or sandwiches for yourselves? I would, the food is certainly not rationed! My sister- and brother-in-law went to the restaurant a couple of times if they had missed lunch and really enjoyed their afternoon tea.

Carol x

Afternoon tea on Ventura was lovely! We are a family of 4, so we sat on a table for 4 and they bring over a cake stand with a selection of cakes. Then someone comes around with the sandwiches, crumpets and tea cakes.

I can't really comment on the tea aspect as I don't drink it anyway.

This sounds great and just what I was hoping for. On sea days (we have 6) I think I would have a big breakfast, skip lunch or have something really light and then have afternoon tea. My daughter is going to be thrilled.

Are the sandwiches the routine cheese and ham type or do they include some more unusual fillings. Also does anyone have any pictures of the afternoon tea? I would really love to see them.

Are the sandwiches the routine cheese and ham type or do they include some more unusual fillings. Also does anyone have any pictures of the afternoon tea? I would really love to see them.

They may have cheese or ham but often smoked salmon or prawn. There is always a good choice. They are finger sandwiches with no crusts.

Brian

Ventura is worse than QM2?

Difficult to believe. Cunard afternoon tea was best on QE2, as was everything, but at least the traditions are maintained on Victoria. QM2 is a failure in the afternoon tea stakes, and the Queen's Room very lacklustre. Not something worth waiting for - and they make you queue!

We didn't have to queue on the times we took afternoon tea on the QM2 and we enjoyed it thoroughly. Possibly because the tea was served in the whole of the Queens Room, it contributed to our thoughts of afternoon tea on Ventura, being on one corner of the restuarant.

Certainly didn't say that Ventura is worse than QM2 - enjoyed both ships immensley!!

Carol, no we didn't ask for more cakes etc, we probably just assumed that they would bring us more. Yes we probably should have done, but didn't!! I'll bear that in mind for next time though!

Jenni

Afternoon Tea ...A few tips.

1. If you want the full works then get there 16.00 to16.05 no later as they finish at 16.45 as they have to set up for dinner. You can stay until around 17.00 but they will be clearing up around you as they are tight for time.

2. Our favourite is Oriana as you get your own tea pot. On the others you are served tea by waiters.

3. Cakes and sandwiches tend to be on the plates on the table. However they have been served from large plates by the waiters, in there white gloves of course.

4. Crumpets and scones are served to you.

5. If you want anything more, then just ask. If they see you are keen you will be brought as much food as you like.

6. I find smiling a lot and saying thankyou for everything pays dividends and you tend to be treated like royalty.

Most people are not going for a feed, just a cup of tea and a chance to chat.

We find the whole thing most enjoyable.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Archived