Bora Bora, Papeete, Tahiti, Moorea, Raiatia - Any Tips?

SargassoPirate

We have an upcoming cruise with stops in Bora Bora, Papeete, Tahiti, Moorea, Raiatia.

Anyone been there with tips on what to see and what to avoid? We just got off a month-long cruise and about "excursioned out" with the rigorous schedules and ten-minute shopping breaks. We'd like to be able just to get off at the dock and walk around and see local sights without a scheduled tour. Low key is the word.

Thanks in advance for any advice.:)

We have an upcoming cruise with stops in Bora Bora, Papeete, Tahiti, Moorea, Raiatia.

Lucky you! It's been a while since we were in French Polynesia, but we enjoyed renting a car on Moorea and just making our way around the island. On Bora Bora we booked a waverunner excursion which was amazing, along with a 4x4 jeep adventure. I know you'll have a wonderful cruise, enjoy!

Last Nov on Papetee and Bora Bora I did circle island tours with operators just off the dock. Both very nice. Lots of nice scenary and interesting places. In Moorea I went to the Intercontinental Hotel. There were lots of cruise passengers there. On Moorea you tender and there is not much availble where the tender dock as far as taxis but there were some tour buses.

Wayne S.

No real advice but they are the most beautiful places I have ever been, and the locals that we met were absolutely wonderful. Have a great vacation.

Best snorkling ever.......

First, no problem with the question- if others feel like snide or insulting comments are appropriate- they need do it elsewhere, this board is for folks helping other folks with their leisure cruises and none of us enjoy the comments. Remember the saying...if you can't say anything nice- .....

We hit all of those two years ago on the Dawn Princess.

We took two “snorkeling tours” - one in Bora Bora we went on a snorkel tour that was wonderful. We swam with the sting rays- very mild waters, and very relaxing- and one in Moorea- that one was billed for experienced swimmers- and there was a mild current- but again shallow waters, lots of interesting fish, and very good tour guides. We brought out own equipment so know nothing about what if anything they provide.

We took the circle island tour at Pago Pago- it was very good to- but as I remember, there town is right at the pier- so you can enjoy the little settlement without the tour.

Papeete is a big town- but we docked right downtown- we took a small tour- but enjoyed most going to the large market that is very close to the dock.

Have a wonderful time- they are lovely fun islands.

Bora, Bora: do the snorkeling tour, ship arranged or not they are all fine.

Moorea: rent a scooter or a car

Papeetee: just wonder around. the ships docks right in downtown. Not much to do and you'll need a car to see things. Expensive and time consuming

The link is to an posting of mine on tripadvisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294352-i2309-k2919923-l19193677-Inexpensive_things_to_do_Papeete_port_French_Polynesia-Papeete_Tahiti_Society_Islands.html

Enjoy, bring a lot of money (euro's have a better exchange rate if you have any) and keep an open mind.

It's been almost 20 years, but the very best snorkeling I've ever experienced was off the beach at Hotel Bora Bora. I doubt if you can access that from a ship's excursion though. Maybe somewhere else on one of the islands' has similar fish life. The snorkeling was fantabulous and was so much better than anything I've seen since, in the Caribbean or Hawaii.

French Polynesia is one of the cruises on my bucket list. Have a wonderful time!

There's a Pacific Islands, All forum under the Ports of Call board.

In Papeete, take a stroll from the pier to Le Marche (the marketplace). It's just a few blocks from the pier. There are 2 floors of all kinds of shops and lots of locally produced crafts. We bought a lovely tropical floral arrangement for our cabin that lasted throughout the cruise. It's also a great place to pick up souvenirs.

On Bora Bora we did an excursion on a catamaran that anchored in a cove for swimming and snorkeling. Delightfully relaxing afternoon.

There are Pearl Farms on some of the islands, and it's interesting to see how the process of "growing" pearls is done.

Above all, just relax, drink in the beauty of the islands, and take lots of photos .

We did these islands in 2006 and only did two ship's excursions. Link to our blog starting with Papeete. http://westwardworldcircumnavigation200.blogspot.com/2006/01/day-23-thursday-jan-19-papeete-tahiti.html

You can use Newer Post at the bottom of each post to read the next.

In Papeete, you can definitely just get off the ship and wander the city. We did that as well as we rented a car from Europcar. This is always a nice way to set your own pace. Use the Frommer's guide to chart your course and find out what to see where.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/tahiti/0084010036.html

In Moorea, we also rented a car from Europcar. Moorea is much smaller and quieter than Tahiti. Much more relaxing. Not much to be seen walking from here though, I guess it depends on where you tender ashore.

On Raiatea we did Faaroa River and Island Exploration tour. It was good. This is another place where the ship docks right at a little town and you can just get off the ship and wander.

On Bora Bora, we did Circle Island by Waverunner (2 persons-approx 1 hr ride) excursion. It was a blast. I believe that you can also just wander from where the tenders dock as well, though we did not have a chance to do that.

You have definitely picked a good itinerary for low key. Enjoy, Debbie

3 years ago, for our 25th anniversary, we took a 20 night, B2B on the Tahitian Princess, but there was nothing "low key" about it. A couple of places we "did" twice due to the B2B and most of the things we did I booked myself. The few Princess excursions I have indicated:

Papetee - arrived 2 days early and stayed at the Intercontinental- took the city bus out to Guagauin Museum, shopped in town; on turn around day took a half day 4x4 jungle excursion, pearl shopping, ate at a local Chinese place in town and played the Tahitian version of on line lotto-what a hoot!

Rangiroa, - bus to pearl farm, snorkeled from the free beach, had local beers at the place where the tenders drop off

Raiatea - amazing channel drift snorkel (Princess), shopping, children's show on board; 2nd time we walked town, went grocery shopping, sat at a waterfront pub and rested

Moorea - 4x4 jeep circle tour booked on line; 2nd visit we took a taxi to the Intercontinental Hotel and got tattooes from Samual, world famous artist.

Bora Bora - helmet dive (Princess) then taxi to Bloody's Marys, then sting ray/reef shark snorkel trip booked at the pier; 2nd visit-4x4 jeep tour of island (Princess) in a pouring rain storm

Huahine - island tour with motu picnic booked through Patrick on line

Roatonga , Cook Islands - we were one of the few that tendered in before the weather cut off the process - Island Cultural visit (Princess), the walked town, lunch at a local seafood stand

No matter what you do, these islands are amazing. We're returning to Papetee, Moorea, and Bora Bora in April, 2011 at the beginning of our transpacific cruise. We plan to go to Bora Bora for a week before the start of the cruise.

Moorea, I would do a little drive around and then spend the rest of the day at one of the Beach resorts... I loved Moorea and went back and spent a week on Moorea and a week in a overwater Bungalow in Bora Bora.. ( would do the overwater bungalow in Moorea next time round) The reefs are all around and snorkelling is better .. Bora Bora has crystal clear water and perfect sand but is often a boat trip out to a good snorkelling area. It's easy to drive around, stop at Bloody Mary's and look at the names of all the famous people that eaten there.. (Me included) :D ok maybe not me...

Black pearls are a biggie in Bora Bora, suprisingly enough they are often cheaper at home and I hate to say I got drawn into the heat of the moment in this exotic destination and totally out of character for me ended up spending $3K on a a double pearl drop necklace and pearl and diamond ring..

Papeetee, to me is a large town it's more a starting off point... where the planes come in to land, tourists usually spend a night here before heading off to the 'real' Tahiti.. Moorea and Bora Bora...etc

Papeetee doesn't have any beaches, a couple of the hotels have put in man-made ones.. Papeetee comes alive at night and you are docked down town, so it will be easy to stroll along to the night market where vendors set up all sorts of vehicles and sell food from them to the locals.. looks quite un-hygeinic but is a great 'people watch'

I was dissappointed when I was there to see a McDonalds in Papetee!! Is no-where on the planet free of them!

We just went to Bora Bora, Papeete and Moorea. As others have mentioned Papeete is a big town and it was my least favorite of those three stops. Bora Bora, we booked with Patrick and it was a wonderful day. He picked us up at the dock in his outrigger canoe, actually there were three of them as our Roll Call group was big. I know you said you didn't want to book anything as you were excursioned out but this is a not to be missed excursion. We swam with the stingrays and sharks and ended at a Mutu for a picnic. It was absolutely wonderful.

In Moorea we tendered in. I don't know if there is anything you can do on your own there or not. There is quite a bit of shopping right at the tender dock though. We had booked a trip with albertstransport and again it was absolutely wonderful. We did most of the same things that we did in Bora Bora but just a little different. We were on a catamaran instead of a outrigger. You can't go wrong with either of them.

Good luck in whatever you chose to do.

Last Jan, we did the HAL 30 day to Hawaii & French Polynesia. We stopped at Raiatea, Tahiti, Moorea, & Bora Bora. We also did Hawaii and an island in the Marquesas. If you would like to read my review, it is here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=51793

I concentrated more on the ports in French Polynesia, as we had just been to Hawaii several months before. Bora Bora is the most beautiful island in French Polynesia, IMO. We loved it, and can't wait to go back. We spend out 2 days there with Patrick, a native of the island. We did a snorkel/private motu picnic on day 1, and the 4X4 excursion on day 2. His website is here: http://www.maohinui.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=31 He was an excellent tourguide. We had 24 members from our cruise with him on our private motu luncheon, and everyone loved their day.

You will love French Polynesia! I am jealous and can't wait to go back! :D

I did a Jeep excursion to the interior of Tahiti, and it was awesome. The man who led the tour is a transplanted New Zealander, and knew everyone on the island. I learned lots of history.

We also went to Belvidere (sp?) restaurant up on the cliffs; great meal.

The other posters are right: these are the most beautiful places you're likely to go, so enjoy! Make sure you buy some Tahitian perfume; every time I open the bottle I am back in Tahiti.

Here's a couple of pictures I took in November 2008. Maybe they'll help you dream about Tahiti.

The sunset one was taken from the beach of the Intercontinental Resort, Papeete, and the second is one of the infinity pools at the resort, with Moorea in the background.That one was taken from the balcony of our room.

2067142344_SDC10086Goldensunset-Papeete.jpg.d312cb4c01dc249626b65153568fba9d.jpg

509085740_SDC10047InfinitypoolandbeachPapeete11-2008.jpg.7717b9397392d3e51322ade4477c955f.jpg

It's too bad that posters over on the on the Ports of Call forums looking for information on these ports won't find all this great information - that is here instead.

At your "suggestion" I posted the same question over there and it's a ghost town. :(

This is a much more active board and that's why I posted here first.

• 7 months later...

Hellooooo,

I posted a question on another thread about doing the lagoon and picnic tours on BOTH BoraBora and Moorea.

I just came across your post that said that you had done that.

With Patrick on BB and Albert on Moorea, right?

Was doing the SAME TYPE tour worth it in your experience?

DH isn't a swimmer at all, so many of the water-type excursions aren't options for us.

Would love to hear how you felt about this.

Was it worth it to do both????? Different enought not to be repetitive?

Thanks, Carol

Archived