P90X Works

Santyclaws

It depends on what your goals are. I do the tapes and do not follow the diet however my family eats pretty clean. We eat a lot of grilled meat and fresh veggies with no sauces. This is just something we have always done. Start to read packages and learn calorie and fat content. I often think... is this indulgence worth the 20 or 30 or whatever minutes of extra excersize. If those calories are worth an extra mile or two ( I also run) then I go ahead and eat and enjoy. If the snack is not worth the extra workout then I may have something different or just a taste of the food or snack. This is just something that works for us.

We've been doing alot of research. Ready for the physical part but can't see us sticking to the diet part. We can make the hour commitment to workout but schedules will kill the diet part. Has anyone tried it without the diet part? We do plan to eat better and smarter. Any help? Does one part work without the other?

DH and I did the workouts but did not follow the meal plan...too restrictive for us. We both definitely got stronger and more toned but you will not see the full results they advertise without doing the diet (IMO). We still love doing the workouts!

I have never tried P90x, although friends have, and I have heard it is great! Just another option that I think is just as great from the same company- Insanity. Its more carido based, but an AWESOME workout---even for people who consider themselves already in shape but struggling to loose that last 5 or just tone up. I am by no means heavy. 5'5 and was 127 for the longest time, although I knew I could use a tone up..... 2 weeks into Insanity, and I am 120 toned, and super ready for my cruise! Insanity doesn't require all the weights/pull up bar etc that you need for p90x, It simply uses your body. Its something I recommend for anyone who doesn't want to pay 100s of dollars (a total of $119-but 3 payments of 39.95) Like p90x it comes wiht a nutrition plan/schedule, etc. of course its up to you if you follow. I did just the workout.. no nutrition plan since I have a weakness for carbs and chocolate.....Just a thought for all of you, but from your posts everyone is doing awesome!

How will your schedules kill the dieting part? To me it looks pretty simple..you pick food from the lists and just shop accordingly. I did it and I packed my lunch and made my food ahead of time. YOu really cant have one without the other. If you dont change your eating habits there is no point in exercising.

This is probably the number one reason why diets fail anyway...lack of planning. The results are really compromised without the healthy eating plan. If you look at it, it's common sense stuff that is going to make you eat healthy anyway so there is no magic to it.

We've been doing alot of research. Ready for the physical part but can't see us sticking to the diet part. We can make the hour commitment to workout but schedules will kill the diet part. Has anyone tried it without the diet part? We do plan to eat better and smarter. Any help? Does one part work without the other?

BF and I are in the middle of week 2 of the Lean program as well and although both of us have actually GAINED a pound or two of scale weight, we're seeing results already - we both look more toned. My electrolysist asked me today (after not seeing me for 3 weeks) if I had lost weight. I'm pretty much a couch potato but I really enjoy these workouts - Kenpo is especially fun. Yoga X is probably the hardest for me, and I was pretty experienced at yoga before this, so I can see why other people hate it so much. BF refuses to try it and subs either Kenpo or Plyo for yoga.

We haven't followed the nutrition plan yet, but we're Atkins dieters, have been for years. We're thinking of switching to his approach, though, which is still low-ish carb, just a few more carbs and a lot less fat than Atkins. We'll see. I'm looking forward to doing the Classic program when we're done with Lean!

My DH and me are at the end of our 6th week of P90X. It does work, but the pounds are slow to come off at first. Maybe the old saying that muscle weighs more than fat is true. I have only lost 6 lbs, but my clothes are definitely fitting better. We cruise in 43 days and I need to lose 15 more...I can do it!!!

Hi All!

I've always been pretty fit and in shape. In 2003, my DH and I did the regular Power 90 (the pre-P90X workout). We both had great results. In fact, Beachbody used my before and after pics on one of their last Power 90 infomercials.

In 2006, after I had my son, I shot up to 175 lbs. I'm 5'2 and was used to weighing around 120 lbs. I joined Weight Watchers and was successful with their program, losing almost 45 lbs. In 2008, I miscarried triplets. After my miscarriage I was depressed and had no desire for much of anything. I started gaining weight again. My DH suggested that I join a local gym. I got into a regular workout routine and really enjoyed working out with the people in the classes. Unfortunately, around Easter of this year, I injured my foot and my shoulder during a Turbokick class. I'm slowly recovering and I'm planning on starting P90X next week after we get back from a quick trip to the beach.

We bought the P90X before my son was born, but have never used it. Our cruise is coming up in 120 days. I'm hoping to take my P90X dvds to the gym and seeing if they will allow me to use it there. I don't have most of the equipment that is needed. I think having all of you on this thread will also be a great motivator for me. My goal is to tone up and have some definition by the time we set sail. I'm ready to be smokin' hot at 43!

Diving - just a suggestion, but I would think it would be very tough to do P90X at the gym, especially if your gym is crowded and there's a wait for dumbbells, etc. Most of the non-weight workouts don't require any equipment, and for women, you probably won't need much more than 12-15 lb dumbbells for the heaviest exercises. I have 10s, 8s, 5s, 3s and 2s, and so far that's plenty, although I sometimes hold two weights (like 10+3) for certain things. The pullup bar is really the only other thing you need - I got mine for $30 at BB&B and it works great. What you really need is a dedicated space big enough to roll around a lot, and I've never been in a gym where that was really possible - there were always too many people using any open space for stretching or chatting or whatever.

I had to stop p90x after an injury, but the thing is, a lot of my friends did it and you have to really follow, as closely as possible, what it says, in order to achieve maximum results. That's what my friends did. The ones that followed the eatig plan..which is basically a healthy eating plan and not complicated..is what achieved the results. Throughout all the materials it talks about the importance of doing what the program says. Which is true of any diet..and nobody really wants to do that most of the time..follow the directions and re-learn..so people don't lose weight, IMO.

If you are on Facebook, there is an EXCELLENT page on p90x with tons of suggestions, dilemmas, support..and it really helps alot. The only part of the p90x part I can do is the weights, etc..cant do the plyo and such..but you can pick up a few dumbells and bands at walmart on the cheap. The plan was designed to do at home..not a gym.

Diving - just a suggestion, but I would think it would be very tough to do P90X at the gym, especially if your gym is crowded and there's a wait for dumbbells, etc. Most of the non-weight workouts don't require any equipment, and for women, you probably won't need much more than 12-15 lb dumbbells for the heaviest exercises. I have 10s, 8s, 5s, 3s and 2s, and so far that's plenty, although I sometimes hold two weights (like 10+3) for certain things. The pullup bar is really the only other thing you need - I got mine for $30 at BB&B and it works great. What you really need is a dedicated space big enough to roll around a lot, and I've never been in a gym where that was really possible - there were always too many people using any open space for stretching or chatting or whatever.

Thank you Alsmez and Gathina for your suggestions. Luckily, my gym is not as crowded as say a Power House or a 24 Hour Fitness. It is a small "mom & pop" type gym. I love the people and the atmosphere there. They can spend more time one on one with you and you don't have to wait long, if at all, for the machines. I am on FB and I'll have to stop by the P90X page.

I talked to my trainer yesterday and he said that he was familiar with P90X. He said that instead of the pull up bar, I could use a band and connect it to a door and pull it towards me. Kind of like the pull up bar, but in reverse. He also said that he would show me two workouts I could do on alternating days to achieve the same results as P90X if I wanted to continue working out at the gym. Going to the gym is a big motivator for me. As far as cardio goes, it looks like I'm going to have to stick with machines to take it easy on my foot. I'm so used to doing Turbokick, Combat and the like for my cardio, but my Achilles tendon is hurting so much it feels like any jarring will break it.

Gotta run! We leave in a couple of hours for the coast. Have a lovely weekend!

He is right about the bands...I don't have a pull up bar or a bar to "hold" the bands up but I still could modify the movement

There is also more than one type of p90x program within the series to do, as well. I fractured my heel during PLYO but believe it or not, was able to switch over to running and am working with the Team in Training program with no adverse reactions to my heel fracture

Thank you Alsmez and Gathina for your suggestions. Luckily, my gym is not as crowded as say a Power House or a 24 Hour Fitness. It is a small "mom & pop" type gym. I love the people and the atmosphere there. They can spend more time one on one with you and you don't have to wait long, if at all, for the machines. I am on FB and I'll have to stop by the P90X page.

I talked to my trainer yesterday and he said that he was familiar with P90X. He said that instead of the pull up bar, I could use a band and connect it to a door and pull it towards me. Kind of like the pull up bar, but in reverse. He also said that he would show me two workouts I could do on alternating days to achieve the same results as P90X if I wanted to continue working out at the gym. Going to the gym is a big motivator for me. As far as cardio goes, it looks like I'm going to have to stick with machines to take it easy on my foot. I'm so used to doing Turbokick, Combat and the like for my cardio, but my Achilles tendon is hurting so much it feels like any jarring will break it.

Gotta run! We leave in a couple of hours for the coast. Have a lovely weekend!

• 2 years later...

I decided to try P90X even though I have no illusions that I'll actually be able to stick to a 6-day-per-week exercise schedule for 90 days...just not going to happen, it'll have to be more like 4 days a week (my work schedule is too prohibitive). I'm doing the P90X Lean schedule, so today is only day 3 - and I'm soooo sore all over :D I used to do taekwondo, was one test away from black belt and then just got lazy and stopped going...that was almost 2 years ago, but I may be ready to go back this fall. The P90X workouts should wake up all those muscles that I forgot I had :)

I've recently started a fat/calorie burning and muscle building workout called P90X. Let me tell you, that you will see results within a couple of weeks!

These workouts are about an hour long each day. Yup, so if you invest in this, then you're going to need to MAKE the time. As long as you push play on your dvd player and try to follow along as best as you can, then you will definitely see results!

It is a series of dvds, each with a different activity for that day. Not the same old, same old. The workouts are intense, and they are difficult.

There are "rollcalls" at the Beachbody website. There are a bunch that started the same day and try to be accountable to each other there. I am just a lurker on that site, I haven't posted yet.

So, you do the workouts once per day, and you change your diet, things will happen! I cut out bread, and as a result of that, I cut out mayo (something I thought I could never do), and butter. I said no to my own birthday cake, I said no to chocolates and cookies offered at work. I brought a salad everyday for lunch, with apple for a snack. I try not to eat after supper. I choose something else I like when I'm having cravings for carbs.

I didn't completely cut out carbs, and I have had bread twice in three weeks. I just don't want to get in the habit of eating a sandwich everyday for lunch, and saying yes to desserts whenever I wanted.

I still want to lose about 6-8 pounds (I've lost 15 so far), but I want to firm up!! I've lost a size since the beginning of January. I can't wait to see what other changes will happen to this body of mine!

Basically, it comes down to Eat less, Move more.

Santy

Congratulations on your transformation and weight loss! Keep it up! You may have whole wheat bread once in a while, but skip the butter and mayo like you have been doing. Avoid fried foods, salty foods and alcohol, and drink tons of water. Do not eliminate any of the food groups. Allow yourself 1-2 cheat meals a week. tt's all about following the 80/20 principle. Eat healthy 80% of the time, enjoy yourself 20% of the time, and EXERCISE ALL OF THE TIME!

Here are my results using P90X and Shakeology for a year

OMG!! It made your facial hair fall out?!?! :D

Nice job, congrats on your success.

I took a look at your pics and the photo on the left looks just like me right now (and I already dropped 30).

Archived