Inside Promenade vs standard inside noise/light question

steve3008

Hey,

I am trying to decide between standard inside and inside promenade on Navigator. I like the idea that the window makes it less claustrophobic but I am wondering how much light do you get from around the drapes/blinds? Also is there any issue with noise?

I am a very light sleeper and the sun always wakes me up even if just a little is peeking in.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Hi Steve:

We had a promenade cabin on the Navigator. We found the cabin completely sound proof, but was glad I had some clothes pins to keep the drapes together to shut out the lights from the promenade. They worked fine blocking any light. When the drapes are open other cabins can see into yours.

Mary

We had a standard inside on NOS and a PR on AOS. Both were fine with us, but we did like the PR room better. It was nice to people watch and have the window. They turn the lights down in the promenade at night, and the only time we heard noise was during the parades. That being said I would book a standard inside if there was much of a price difference, I can't see spending extra money on something that is used so little. We are rarely in our stateroom, we like to be outside and where the people are.

We had a promenade room on Navigator last year and the noise wasn't an issue. They do however turn the lights on too early for me so keeping the heavy drapes closed is a must.

I wouldn't spend a great sum to upgrade however. The extra room is nice and having the view is much better than the closet feeling of a traditional inside, but if it's a great price difference I would rather spend it on the ship having fun.

I've been watching the promenade cabins for our upcoming cruise and they are running $111 pp more than our inside so that's just not worth it to me.

Since you are a light sleeper - I will give you my warning. Yes, they change the lighting on the Promenade at night time, it takes on a blue-ish tint, but I still used a hair clip to make sure no light leaked through. On the NOISE front... the rooms are NOT sound proof, however, the only way it should bother you is if you go to sleep early. We've had PR cabins on the Mariner and the Navigator. Bands playing on the Promenade, and the parades - all woke us up.

Wasn't on the Navigator, but here's my experience with the PR on the Freedom. Light was NOT an issue for us - our curtains stayed closed and our cabins were virtually pitch black (there *may* have been a very, very slight glow just above the curtain, but this was so minimal it did not have any affect on us and was not enough light to "see" by). There was no noise in our cabin except during major events (parades, 70's dance party), then we could hear a "boom, boom, boom" sound from the bass of the music. It never lasted long and really wasn't a big deal for our family (I travelled with my 3 kids - 10, 6 and 14 months).

Although I have never stayed in a true inside cabin, I loved having the window and the window seat. We were able to snag great deals on our PR rooms ($499/person) and get 2 connecting rooms instead of 1 regular inside for LESS money. I would absolutely do this again if the price was right.

Hope this helps!

Hi Steve:

We had a promenade cabin on the Navigator. We found the cabin completely sound proof, but was glad I had some clothes pins to keep the drapes together to shut out the lights from the promenade. They worked fine blocking any light. When the drapes are open other cabins can see into yours.

Mary

Don't know what cabin you had, but the one I had on the Explorer was completely NOT soundproof. Whenever there is a band playing, parade, and even the band down on deck 4, you could hear them all too well. Will never get one again.

OP, go for an inside on deck 7. Between to floors of cabins and very quiet.

We were on the Navigator 1/2/2010. My son had promenade view stateroom. The window was completely cloudy.....I noticed several others like this too. There must have been some flaw in the windows they used. I hope they replace them. I certainly wouldn't pay extra for this room. It was convenient for us, because we had a veranda stateroom directly across the hall. I did notice that the drapes do not close properly to block out the light.

We just got off the Voyager Sunday. My son and his friends had 2 Promenade cabins. He said he'll never book another one again. He said there was too much noise. His cabin was right over the SportsBar. That wasn't the problem though. He says the problem was across the Promenade at the Pig and Whistle where they had karoke almost everynight until late. It was really loud.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I was the OP for this thread and here are my thoughts on the promenade rooms. I was in 8557 on which is the highest level looking out over the promenade on Navigator. I loved the location. Only three flights up to deck 11 or 3 down to deck 5. Hardly took the elevators at all. Being so central meant less walking and it was very easy to find everything. Light was not an issue. I took the clothespins (thanks for that suggestion) but did not really need them on the ship, I did get good use out of them the night before the cruise at the hotel. Yes there is some light that comes from around the window but not much. I use eye shades at home because I don’t have any window coverings and I could have slept without them here.

There was noise from the Promenade but it did not bother me at all. I am a very light sleeper and always use ear plugs. I tend to have more of a problem staying asleep or sleeping in and there was no noise in the AM. If you have problems falling asleep and want to go to bed early maybe it would be a problem. But if you are on a cruise and cannot fall asleep why not get up and do something J

Archived