Splendor vs. Spirit???

crusing48/51

Looking into taking a Mexican Riviera route. Any thought on which itinerary would be better? Which ship is better?

Are the ports so different on each sailing that there would be an advantage to taking both cruises(at different times of course)?

Any input will be appreciated. Thank you!

I took the 8 day Spirit in 2006, it was fun. I was with 2 of my kids and they just wanted to go to the beaches so we never even took a tour.

We are going on the 7 day Splendor in July and looking forward to it. My sister and her kids went last year and they had a blast. I think it's a more typical Mexican cruise - Cabo, PV, Maz

I was surprised when Spirit started the 8 day because the ports were so different than the usual cruise. But, being a SoCal native I've been to Mexico a lot and imo it's pretty much all the same. The only difference I've ever noticed was when I went to Riviera Maya in 2007 because it's on the Caribbean side and the water is better. But then once you went into town it was just like any other Mexican town, only a bit cleaner on the surface.

Ixtapa/Zihuatenejo was a nice stop. We took a water taxi for 3 dollars to the "island" that Carnival was charging much more for and we stayed there all day. Did a little shopping right before going back to the ship.

The 8 day was nice, a little more ship time, very relaxing. The main reason we are doing the 7 day this time because we live close to the port and it's simply easier than driving all the way to San Diego, and also because half of us have already "been-there-done-that" with the 8 day.

I'd say do the 8 day, personally.

Thank you VeggieCruzer. We'll have to fly in with either choice, since we live in NC, but your suggestion makes sense to me. The more days on the ship the better!

Anyone else want to voice their opinion? I'm trying to get as much information as I can before booking. Haven't done too many cruises yet.

We would cruise more, but there is only one port(Charleston) that is close enough to drive. We have done the Bahamas and want to try more/different ports. Mexico sounds good, just not sure which ports/ship would be better. Keep the comparisons coming!!

I have been on the Spirit 3 times (going on 4th in Oct.) and I cruised on the Splendor last Oct. I love the Spirit and I love the extra day. I really like the Splendor also. The Spirit is a lot easier to get around. I loved the Splendor choice of food stations.

Would need a little more info about what your likes and dislikes are. Are you taking any kids, are you active and like active excursions or relaxing beach days? My likes may not be your likes and vice versa.

Check price comparisons...is it less to go on the 8 day than the 7 day?? I would always choose an 8 day over a 7.

Ive done these Itenaries multi times on various ships over the years Havnt been on splendor but been on Spirit twice

Zihau is my favorite port of all the ports and 2 sea days down and 2 sea days back can you say time to relax:D

The Spirit class ships are my favorite class of ships have been on most of the Carnival ships (and 4 other cruise lines) over the years except Splendor and Dream

I might be a little biased but I wish they would build a larger version of the Spirit class instead of modifing the Destiny again

Also San Diego is so much easier to get around the airport is 10 minutes $10 cab fare away where Lax is 45min and $55 cab fare away

If you fly into San Diego a day or 2 before(I highly recommend) you can walk around downtown and along the bay just Gorgeous

Long Beach is Ok but the only place to walk around next to the Carnival port is the Queen Mary which is nice and also enjoyable to spend your precruise night at but not much else

But either one you will enjoy because your on a cruise and not working

I've done the Spirit 8 day twice and have another booked for November. Haven't done the Splendor yet, but would like to try it for comparison. I really like the layout of the Spirit class of ships and the extra day on board is, of course, a plus.

Acapulco surprised me at how much I enjoyed it. And Zihuatanejo is very picturesque and one of my favorite ports.

I also like flying into San Diego much better than LA. San Diego is such a beautiful City and the airport is very close to the downtown area which makes getting to your hotel and then from your hotel to the ship a whole lot easier.

Looking into taking a Mexican Riviera route. Any thought on which itinerary would be better? Which ship is better?

Are the ports so different on each sailing that there would be an advantage to taking both cruises(at different times of course)?

Any input will be appreciated. Thank you!

Never been to western Mexico before, so for ports, both trips were new. We went with the Spirit for 3 reasons:

1) It's a little smaller but has a lot less passengers, so we're hoping it will be less crowded.

2) It's 8 days instead of 7.

3) San Diego is a beautiful city. We're going a day early and staying a day after, just to enjoy it. I've been to LA a few times, and if I want big city, I'm half an hour from New York.

Thank you all so much for your insights! DH and I discovered cruising only a couple of years ago, and now we are hooked!

I chose our first cruise, and we both chose the second one. Our upcoming Southern Caribbean, on Victory, DH chose. The next one is my choice, so I'm choosing the Mexican route. I just wasn't sure which one to go with, but you have all given me a new perspective.

The extra sea day, combined with the lesser traveled ports, seems to lean me toward trying the Spirit first. If it goes well, then hopefully we'll get to try the Splendor.

All you CCer's are a wealth of information, and I appreciate your taking the time to help those of us less experienced. I am only able to answer a few questions and like reading all the reviews. Hopefully one day I'll be better equipped, as well as have lots of cruises, to help others with questions.

Thanks again, and keep the input coming!

I have been on the Spirit 3 times (going on 4th in Oct.) and I cruised on the Splendor last Oct. I love the Spirit and I love the extra day. I really like the Splendor also. The Spirit is a lot easier to get around. I loved the Splendor choice of food stations.

Would need a little more info about what your likes and dislikes are. Are you taking any kids, are you active and like active excursions or relaxing beach days? My likes may not be your likes and vice versa.

DH and I are middle aged, no children. We enjoy a mix of beach days and excursions(went zip lining in Alaska, Segwaying in Nassau, etc...). We tend to do active excursions and are up for"almost" anything.

Check price comparisons...is it less to go on the 8 day than the 7 day?? I would always choose an 8 day over a 7.

I think I would prefer an 8 day also. The extra sea day will be nice! Thank you for answering crzndeb!

Ive done these Itenaries multi times on various ships over the years Havnt been on splendor but been on Spirit twice

Zihau is my favorite port of all the ports and 2 sea days down and 2 sea days back can you say time to relax:D

The Spirit class ships are my favorite class of ships have been on most of the Carnival ships (and 4 other cruise lines) over the years except Splendor and Dream

I might be a little biased but I wish they would build a larger version of the Spirit class instead of modifing the Destiny again

Also San Diego is so much easier to get around the airport is 10 minutes $10 cab fare away where Lax is 45min and $55 cab fare away

Thank you for this information. I hadn't even taken this into consideration. San Diego sounds like a much easier airport/transport experience. That will make it easier as well.

If you fly into San Diego a day or 2 before(I highly recommend) you can walk around downtown and along the bay just Gorgeous

Long Beach is Ok but the only place to walk around next to the Carnival port is the Queen Mary which is nice and also enjoyable to spend your precruise night at but not much else

But either one you will enjoy because your on a cruise and not working

That is so true!!

Archived