What British comforts would you like to see on your ex-UK cruise on a non-UK ship?

kelly@

What British comforts would you like to see on your ex-UK cruise on a non-UK ship?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. What British comforts would you like to see on your ex-UK cruise on a non-UK ship?

• Tea making facilities in the cabin
    • Indian curries
    • Real ale on tap
    • Mushy peas
    • A late-night kebab shop
    • Something else -- I'll post below

On our Summit cruise this week in the S. Caribbean, we saw the following available:

* British bacon

* Bangers (which the staff only understood as "sausage")

* HP sauce and some other additional condiments (DW noticed these)

* BBC was one of the channels available 24 hrs

There might have been others, but I can't recall right now....

I think a touch of British flavour (yes, that's the English spelling) is a great idea for cruises leaving out of Southampton and carrying a large load of British passengers, and it's much appreciated by ex-pats like me, who live in the US and have learnt to live without favourite things from the old country. One thing that's nice about Princess is the way they offer English bacon and sausages in their buffet and will cook it on request every morning. Carrying some decent English teabags when there's a large British contingent aboard is also a nice touch, as is vinegar and HP sauce. I always take my own English teabags when I cruise. After 20 years in the US, some habits are hard to break.

I don't necessarily want these things on every cruise I go on all the time, but on a British based summer schedule and with a lot of Brits on the ship, I think it's a nice regional touch and I don't see what's so wrong with it... My American husband has come to like many British things he's been exposed to on ships, such as Princess' pub lunches and English beers.

We're sailing the world.... Let's have a taste of the region we're travelling in, wherever that might be, without taking away from the standard offerings we've come to expect from our favourite cruise lines. Try something new.... You might just like it!

We're on the Eclipse in July and I'm very happy to hear of what might be offered. I'll skip the mushy peas though.... Never did like those....

I will add a vote for proper English bacon for my husband and BBC News 24 for me. I see these as small additional comforts rather than repalcements. I am not looking for the Costa Brava afloat but a small acknowledgement that there are nationalities other than US and Canadians is appreciated.

I'd love to be able to watch English football matches at sea instead of just US sports programmes. I did ask on RCI once and they confirmed that they could get the games but it was too expensive to do so (ie they wouldn't pay the few bucks required by The Fox Soccer Network - we even offered to pay it!)

It never seems to be too expensive to get NFL games so there ought to be some sort of parity.

Tea making & proper British bacon would be perfeect.

Otherwise we like the international style that Celebrity has. If we wanted to be more Brit we would sail P&O but we like X the way it is. We did get an extra dish one time in the caribbean at dinner when the chef made us & some other UK friends a special curry & it was fab.

Now someone mentioned Pimms:D, mmmm, that is something I like to snaffle onbaord for our pre dinner cocktails. Last 2 years we wernt allowed to buy any at the airport & this year as we are sailing Eclipse we're not flying....:p. So-o-o looking forward to our cruise later iin the year..

Reading all the responses, I would say that REAL British Back bacon :p (licking my lips) wins hands down... Pity it wasn't included in the poll....

Decent beer would be nice, rather than than flavoured fizzy stuff they call beer in North America... would wash down the Curry nicely!!

We love Celebrity, and we do not want them to change there ways just for us Brits. A few minor alterations would be ok re Tea in cabin, but keep the rest the same. Thats why we go on Celebrity and not P & O. Tried them twice, but straight back to Celebrity.:)

...was offered at breakfast daily in the Oceanview Cafe while I was aboard Equinox for an Ancient Empires sailing out of Rome in late September. In fact, if I recall properly, there was a station devoted to Traditional English Breakfast items.

Same on the Solstice out of Rome in September, full british breakfast station with real british style bacon, having said that would like a good british beer but they can keep the mushy peas & steak & kidney pie. I think this is a non Brits idea of what Brits like.

If it aint broken, dont try and fix it!!!

None. I get away from Britain to try different things. If I want to try Britiah food and comforts I will stay in Britain.

I'm having problems understanding why Indian Curry is a British comfort!!!!! Surely by the very nature of its name it is an Indian / South East Asian comfort.

Verrrrryyyyy Strange.

Celebrity cruises present a wonderful refined cruising experience - I'm a bit concerned about British pub nights and mushy peas. As others have said we can sail with P&O if we want to pop down the pub:mad: We'll be on Eclipse in June and having sailed on Solstice we will be able to compare. Please don't disappoint us Celebrity.:)

Celebrity cruises present a wonderful refined cruising experience - I'm a bit concerned about British pub nights and mushy peas. As others have said we can sail with P&O if we want to pop down the pub:mad: We'll be on Eclipse in June and having sailed on Solstice we will be able to compare. Please don't disappoint us Celebrity.:)

Quite, except that the "Pub" on Arcadia is impossible to use unless you are a smoker!! (not for long!)

The only thing I miss when on a US ship is really hot/boiling water to make tea. I'm not complaining and certainly didn't complain on board.

On our last Connie cruise the ship held "An English Afternoon Tea" and the waiters came round with what I thought was a large cigar box but inside was a selection of tea bags. By the time the water was brought to the table it was only hot and as we know tea is best made with boiling water.

In fact in Sri Lanka tea is automatically served with hot milk, they know a thing or two about tea out there.

Pj

Archived