Gym?

Drummond Creek

I searched through the forum and didn't find anyone really reviewing the gym facilities. (maybe that should give me a clue!) What is actually in the gym of Windstar? How many people can operate in there at one time? Are there free weights? Or should I just forget it for the week and leave the gym cloths at home?

Windstar and Windspirit have tiny gyms with a free weight bench, couple treadmills and/or exercise bikes and a TV. The room is probably 12' x 12 feet in size. We did use the facilities a number of times on our 2 week cruise from Athens to Barcelona. Especially on any "at sea" days. We never had to wait to use the equipment. Only problem was sea motion can make walking the treadmill a little interesting. The ship also offered some classes, I took one Pilates class, was the only student. It seems that most cruisers on Windstar are more interested in the bar than the gym. We also booked rooms on the bottom floor, which forced us to walk 5 flights of stairs to get to the top deck and the open air bar. Walking that multiple times a day plus walking in port was plenty of exercise for us!

There were a few free weights on our Windstar cruise. My 6'0" husband was unable to use the treadmill as his head bumped the ceiling while using it.

Ok, we get the point. Leave the gym cloths at home and enjoy the more natural way of getting a work out. Thanks for the "heads up".

Windstar is a major problem:confused: ... once you have been on Windstar it is difficult to be on another cruiseliner:)!!!

Even on board of 680 passenger ship of excellent quality, it was hard to enter the port and see next to you the Wind Spirit (sister ship of the Wind Star).. and not to be on it!

These small vessels have charm. With 168 passengers you feel to be considered as a guest. There are no cues to tender. At least you see even the captain simply bestween the passengers (where on some other ships you never see them except a short moment on stage for the wellcome)

Food is excellent, crew friendly. You come in small ports where big vessels canot enter.

(However if you like shows, artifical entertainement, noise, flashy kitchy decors, climbing walls, a lot of people, then Windstar should not be your choice. )

• 3 weeks later...

On our previous Windstar cruise in the Virgin Islands, we spent most of our days swimming, hiking, and kayaking, so we didn't feel the need to visit the gym. Most nights we fell into bed after dinner exhausted, and slept like babies -- just to do it all over again the next day! Heavenly.

In my experience, most of the small ships have very limited gyms, and the fluid-type weight machines don't perform very well if you're used to good quality weight machines from a real gym. I also hate waiting in line for the one or two bikes or treadmills. On an active cruise like Windstar offers, I plan on getting my exercise outside.

If you really want to bike or treadmill, be sure to go to the gym early and sign up for a time slot, then you don't have to wait around for the machine you want to be free.

Margaret

2009 Victoria Prince Yangtzee River Solar Eclipse

2006 Clipper Odyssey Viet Nam

2004 Radisson Diamond Turkey & Greek Isles Transit of Venus

2002 Radisson Hanseatic Antarctica & South Georgia

2001 Windstar Virgin Islands

1999 Sky Princess Baltic Sea Solar Eclipse

1998 Paul Gauguin Tahiti

1996 Star Princess Alaska

Archived