Formal Night - Are Jackets for Men still Necessary?

By it's very definition, "formal" means evening wear...that means suits, tux and/or jackets for gentlemen...appropriate dressy evening wear for women.

For Dockers, shirt and slacks, that would be "Resort Casual"....:cool:

By it's very definition' date=' "formal" means evening wear...that means suits, tux and/or jackets for gentlemen...appropriate dressy evening wear for women.

For Dockers, shirt and slacks, that would be "Resort Casual"....:cool:[/quote']

I'm going with linen slacks and a tommy bahama shirt next week.... will let you know how the lobster was. :cool:

Necessary no but be careful of the Cruise Critic Fashion Police they tend to be a bit brutal. Many now choose to not wear the formal attire and look just fine.

I will add its a bigger issue on these boards than it is on the ship.

Only on the line specific boards :) When these threads get nasty, the mods sometimes move them over to the Fashion Board. The Fashion Board people are far nicer to each other.

I just bring a tux. I picked one up on ebay a few ago and got it for $100. The seller still lists them for $109.70. His shop is in downtown NYC, so I picked it up to make sure everything fit right. I've worn it about a dozen times and still looks fine. Since the DW brings a garment bag for her dresses, I stick my tux in there. The rest of the cruise is casual for me.:cool:

Some people wear tuxes, some suits, some just jackets and slacks - they have relaxed the formal attire a lot - and some guys just don't like wearing a tie - and I don't blame them, especially on a warm night

my hubby takes a jacket, or I should say I pack one for him and a dress shirt and tie - but no suit or tux - on formal night on the Navigator we got dressed up and our tablemates were very casual but smartley dressed in shirts and slacks and blouses and slacks - its up to you - its your vacation, enjoy it - lol:)

Lafayette Cruiser..Not sure why you quoted my post and how your answer relates to it. I am well aware of the "suggested" attire and typically don a tux. What others wear, minus tank tops and wife beaters, is of little concern to me and has no bearing on the enjoyment of my cruise.

I will say that my enjoyment of the formal night is enhanced by fellow cruisers who treat it as a special night. A part of the cruise experience is the elegance of the formal night. Since DW and I don't do a lot of other formal occasions, this is a special time for us. Thank you to those who contribute to making our formal night special by dressing up.

cruisin'sz,

Your question is appropriate, given the wide variety of folks that now sail on RCCL. 10 years ago, your question would not have even been asked - it simply was the 'done thing' for gentlemen to wear a tuxedo on those nights designated as 'formal'. It was a special and fun thing to do to 'dress-up' for pictures and memorable events.

BUT - the 'Casual Friday' attitude has now been extended to every day of the week and there are many guys that have personal opinions that vary from 'I paid-I'll do as I please' to 'I have never worn a suit - why should I do it on a cruise' to 'What clothes I wear is none of your &^%$ business'.

Yes, I am one of the 'oldies' that put on a tie EVERY day I was in the US Air Force (except when doing the dirty things where fatigues were appropriate). And then after Korea, went to work for various companies that 'expected' a gentleman to wear proper attire (business suit with white shirt and tie). BUT...that was long ago!!

So now you have 'views' and 'personal opinions' - and yes, RCCL notes their attire for dinner as 'suggested' - so your question of 'necessary' comes back to a personal opinion in the circumstances, since RCCL does not enforce 'suggestions'.

(But trying to get a bottle of nice Scotch on-board is another matter!!)

In my personal opinion, it comes down to how an individual views himself, how he wishes to be viewed by others and his willingness to accept the 'suggested' attire for a special event. (A 'FORMAL' dinner is a special event in nearly all of society. I guess if your RCCL cruise is not special and just another hum-drum day, then this discussion is not needed.) Now - if 'formal' is a concept that is difficult to accept, then yes, an individual can wear whatever clothing they choose - BUT...'formal' always has been and always will be 'formal' - that is a tuxedo (standard or tails) for gentlemen and floor length dresses for the ladies!!

On a recent cruise (check below) in the MDR on 'formal night' there was a lovely lady in a strapless long gown, jewelry and make-up (and looked TERRIFIC - I got a Kick in the shin under the table!!) and her 'man-friend' (he was certainly not what I would call a 'gentleman') had a two-day beard, and was wearing a sloppy sport shirt with obviously dirty jeans and tennis shoes!! All I can say is : "It takes all kinds!!"

Enjoy your cruise what ever you wear!!

I will say that my enjoyment of the formal night is enhanced by fellow cruisers who treat it as a special night. A part of the cruise experience is the elegance of the formal night. Since DW and I don't do a lot of other formal occasions, this is a special time for us. Thank you to those who contribute to making our formal night special by dressing up.

I couldn't agree more. I think formal nights are something to be enjoyed. It's great seeing people look smart and having their photos taken.

It is also great to see people wearing military dress and on the cruise we have just been on a Japanese couple wore traditional dress, just as some Scots wore kilts.

In answer to your question - no dress policy can be enforced without challenge, so the cruise lines can only hope passengers want to enjoy this small tradition of cruising heritage and culture.

I just bring a tux. I picked one up on ebay a few ago and got it for $100. The seller still lists them for $109.70. His shop is in downtown NYC, so I picked it up to make sure everything fit right. I've worn it about a dozen times and still looks fine. Since the DW brings a garment bag for her dresses, I stick my tux in there. The rest of the cruise is casual for me.:cool:

me too. Tux off ebay was about hundred bucks. Bought a couple of tuxedo shirts from a local store ($20/ea), a couple of interesting vests ($20/ea ebay), and I can vary it up for the whole cruise, even a 14 day one.

Arrive, my tux travels really well, have the shirts pressed, and launder one after the 1st formal night (3 on a long distance). Really doesn't take that much room.

Jealous! Have fun!

Umm... I think not long ago, you were out on the seas!!! LOL

Thanks... Voyager here I come!!! Leaving for the airport in about an hour. I will make sure to give an MDR fashion report when I return! :D

Has anyone EVER seen any maitre D' enforce any dress code? I haven't.

I haven't either and I don't worry about the Fashion Police! I just wear my green camo shirt and no one complains. I do however, wear a matching green camo baseball cap with it at the dinner table!:eek:

• 1 month later...

Just FWIW, I bought a tux today. I was debating whether or not to wear just a black blazer, black dress slacks, white shirt, and tie, on formal night on our upcoming NOTS cruise (only a week to go!). Then I saw that JC Penney had dinner jackets (tux) for $90, matching formal trousers for $40, and shirt, tie, cummerbund, cufflink kit for $30. I also found a coupon code for another 30% off that - I think the sale runs through tomorrow 3/6. Not the world's greatest tux, but it's wool, not poly, and for $112 out the door it makes owning one break even the second time I wear it (maybe at the Mt Washington or the Met later this year). Now I just have to find a black satin baseball cap to round out the outfit ;) I figure that if you can afford airfare, cruise, and al that goes along with it, you can afford a tuxedo or cocktail dress and the $50 baggage fee if you have to check a garment bag.

I understand that airline luggage policies are getting a little nuts (they all ought to look at SW's business model), and that there is a social movement away from formal attire - but there is, or at least used to be, a sense of elegance that went hand-in-hand with being on a cruise ship, regardless of the activities offered and demographic target market. Sadly this seems lost on many people. It doesn't really bother me all that much - but somehow I just think they're missing out on something that is an inherent part of the cruise experience. Oh well.

My Mom taught me to dress appropriately, and my Father taught me to tie a tie. With that being said, regardless of how "uncomfortable" I am today wearing a tie, I will, because the evening is a formal evening, and I will follow the guidelines, liking it or not. Plus I get to torture my kids making them dress up!!!

Necessary no but be careful of the Cruise Critic Fashion Police they tend to be a bit brutal. Many now choose to not wear the formal attire and look just fine.

I will add its a bigger issue on these boards than it is on the ship.

I agree from my experience and I can only speak about the cruises I´ve been on, it´s absolutely not an issue on board.

To my observation formal night is followed by by an estimated 90-95% of the passengers. There´s always a few not dressed formally, but they are only few in between the majority´and sticking out of the masses.

It always amazes me reading the boards about the issue and the posts are so way different than what I see onboard. But it might proove the point about CC members being just such a small percentage of the overall cruisers.

Another explanation of course could be the time of year and itineraries I´m doing.

I don´t do the standard Caribbean cruises and I try to go at least 7 nights preferrably 12 nights or longer. I´m also cruising at times when kids are in school so there´s not many families onboard and compared with a longer cruise I think it attracts a slightly older crowd.

Maybe this all plays into the more formal attire I experienced on my cruises opposing to what is frequently posted here.:confused:

I´m curious as to how my observations will differ on my next cruise which will be on the Oasis to the Caribbean.

How necessary is it for a man to wear a jacket on the formal nights - with all the airline restrictions' date=' it seems like a waste to pack one -

Will my husband feel out of place in dockers and a nice shirt on formal night or is that becoming more of a norm?

Thanks.

P.S. I know questions like this have been asked a million times, but I figured I'd ask once more as our cruise is just around the corner and we want to start packing. We have given up with jackets on NCL altho I know RCCL is a bit more upscale - which is why I'm asking.[/quote']

Did you think you would get a different answer than what was posted a million times? The same answers from the same people every time, lol.

Archived