Crusing south from San Juan

tgjr

Have you been on a cruise out south from San Juan - what was the best experience with this route and what vessel did you cruise on ?

What was your best port experience and how did you plan out your cruise.

Where was the best shopping and where was the best beach place.

What was your best ship experience and what is the hidden seacrets.

we have done MANY cruises, but never more south than St. Thomas - we have mostly been on the other side.

I think this wold be a thrill. We did sign up for a 10 nighter out from Poerto Rico going south.

And also, as you can see by my signature, I have done most islands on these itineraries and I live in San Juan so if you have any specific questions, ask away.

Hi Aviator :)

I DO have a question for you...

Once again we are staying at the beautiful San Juan Marriott Stellaris on March 6th (can't get here soon enough!!!). We usually have dinner at the Japanese restaurant adjacent to the hotel - but last year we went for a walk on the Condado (come out of the hotel and turn left) and we walked past a restaurant that specialized in skewers of meat (beef, chicken, sausage etc) the smell was incredible and we said we would try and eat there next year (which is now!) Do you happen to know the name of this restaurant? I'd love to see a menu if I could.

Thanks!

The southern routes are by far the best in my opinion. The islands are beautiful and not as crowded as there are not as many ships as on the eastern and western routes. We have sailed both Serenade and Adventure. Both ships are great but the Voyager class ships are my favorite so we have only done one sailing on Serenade and three on Advenure.

I love sailing out of San Juan. The weather is awesome and Old San Juan is great. There is nothing quite like walking out of the airport on arrival and feeling the warmth hit your face!

Yerba Buena Restaurant? I have not tried it myself. Next time I walk by I'll grab a menu and post it here.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147320-d805945-Reviews-YERBABUENA_RESTURANT-San_Juan_Puerto_Rico.html

YUP! That's the one!

Thanks so much :D I know where we are having dinner on Saturday March 6th!!!

And just were might you be having dinner on March 7th?

She'll be on the AOS having dinner that night! I'm so jealous!:p

OP - DH and I did the southern route out of PR on our Celebrity cruise. We loved it. The Southern route can be very port intensive (we had only 1 sea day). We loved Grenada - mainly because of the tour we took there and the island is truly beautiful.

As previous posters have said, walking off your plane into the heat of PR is wonderful - especially if you are flying in from a cold weather location. One tip - if you fly in the day of the cruise, don't take the cruiseline transfers. Walk out of the airport to the taxi stand and get a cab. It is truly the most efficient way to get to your ship.

We are cruising out of San Juan again in April - our first time on an RCI ship. I can't wait - mainly because our kids are going with us and it will be their first cruise. We are flying in a day before so we can show them Old San Juan and staying an extra day so we can maybe go ziplining at El Yunque rainforest.

Hmmmmmm :rolleyes:

I think the name of the place is MDR ??? :p:p

I've pretty much resigned myself to the Windjammer on April 4th. I really want to be up on deck partying with my boys at sailaway.:) We've signed up for MTD, so I don't have to worry about holding up anyone else's dinner.

We have sailed southern 3 times. 9-95 on Carnival Fascination, 9-98 on Celebrity Galaxy, an 11-01 on RCCL Adventure OTS,

Ports in alphabetical order were: Antigua, Aruba, Barbados, Caracas, Curacao, Grenada, Guadalupe, Martinique, St. Croix, San Juan, St Lucia, & St. Thomas.

The best ship experience was AOS.

The best beach was on Aruba.

The best food was on Galaxy

The best entertainment on board was Fascination.

Most scenic Island was a toss-up. Grenada or Barbados with Aruba close.

Worst Island was Martinique and Guadalupe.

Most crowded was St. Thomas.

Best Shopping St. Thomas.

Still looking for tips on the ship (Serenade) and the islands (St. Kitts, St. Croix, Barbados, Dominica, St. Thomas)

Best snorkling?

Most intriguing shopping (Not interested in the places RC pushes)?

Best beach?

Sightseeing (besides Old San Juan ... cuz I've dug up a ton of info on that already)?

Still looking for tips on the ship (Serenade) and the islands (St. Kitts, St. Croix, Barbados, Dominica, St. Thomas)

Best snorkling?

Most intriguing shopping (Not interested in the places RC pushes)?

Best beach?

Sightseeing (besides Old San Juan ... cuz I've dug up a ton of info on that already)?

Barbados - we took a ships tour that took us all over the island and I really don't remember much. We did get dropped off in town and we had lunch there, but again I don't remember much about it. It was 5 years ago and I've killed a lot of brain cells since then!:D

St. Thomas - I guess it depends on where you dock now. Last time we were there, you could walk off the ship and towards downtown and just shop up and down all the streets. 19 years ago, we took a tour of St. Thomas as it was our first time there - again on a bus and I don't remember too much.

We don't snorkel, so I can't help you there and we won't be visiting Dominica until April so I can't help you with that yet. I haven't visited St. Kitts or St. Croix.

Have you been on a cruise out south from San Juan - what was the best experience with this route and what vessel did you cruise on ?

I cruised on the Adventure of the Seas, Serenade of the Seas and Celebrity Solstice. I absolutely love Adventure and Serenade. The farthest Southern route is the best (IMHO). The seas are a little rough until you reach the Caribbean sea, but still a great cruise. The Southern Carib routes are my favorite.

What was your best port experience and how did you plan out your cruise.

All of the ports offered something I enjoyed, Barbados I would have to say is the best though.

Where was the best shopping and where was the best beach place.

I don't shop on cruises (only perfume in Nassau). No opinion on best beaches they're all great, again if I had to pick Barbados.

What was your best ship experience and what is the hidden seacrets.

The best ship experience would have to be Serenade. There are a lot of places to escape to but the solarium early in the day is the best (not a secret place, but good).

Answers embedded in quote

Archived