Marina - Cabanas

FrankLasVegas

Anyone know if the blue tinted front windows affects photographs or videos? Do you need some kind of filter?

Thanks

The Cabanas are not a good platform for picture taking. Please do not book one with any kind of major photography in mind. cabana.jpg

As you say the glass is tinted. It is also angled. There is also a space of about 2 feet which divides the useable space in the cabana from that glass wall.

In photographs that we took , gap between our camera and the glass caused a problem with focus. If we got closer to the glass, its' angle caused distortions.

The photo above shows the railing that divides the cabana from the unuseable area. The floor of the gulley is painted dark blue.

No amount of post processing would be worth the effort to remove that amount of tinting and I'm not aware of any filter than would be effective to counter balance that degree of blue. You'd be better off to get up and take your shots over the side which are free of the glass shield.

I don't know that you should feel as if you have to use the cabana every day to get value from it but it does seem to make more sense when there are more sea days than on itineraries with only a couple sea days.

Next cruise try it for a day and see if you like it.

Anyone know if the blue tinted front windows affects photographs or videos? Do you need some kind of filter?

Thanks

StanandJim on the one hand, and Betsy and I on the other, are complete opposites. That proves the old adage that opposites attract, as we got to spend a few days with them, and we all really got along well. Still, we're the hicks from Okeechobee, and they are the worldly sophisticates frm New York and Stamford.

Nowhere is this more apparent than in the cabana matter. We all know StanandJim's attitude and love of the nearly decadent lounging in the cabanas. We respect that, but maybe it's time to hear the other side. ;)

First, we're from Florida. We get enough sun. We have a pool in our back yard. I think if you add up all the time we spend on the pool deck or the sun deck aboard ship, it would maybe amount to, oh, I don't know, probably 30 minutes total in 57 days.

Second, when we want to lounge, we have a perfectly suited cabin with a wonderfully comfortable bed, air conditioning or heat as needed, a television for either a movie or music. room service when we want it, a fridge, and almost always a balcony if we suffer some compulsion to be outside in the heat, cold, rain or wind.

Plus, we can lounge in our underwear if we choose.

So, no cabana for us -- which should make all the cabana lovers very happy, as it's one couple less in competition for them! :cool:

Too much information! ;)

Plus, we can lounge in our underwear if we choose.

Cheers to that! :D

So, no cabana for us -- which should make all the cabana lovers very happy, as it's one couple less in competition for them! :cool:

Friends had a cabana on our Panama Canal cruise a couple of years ago and saw the downside of them. Perhaps they will be better designed on Marina as they will not be an add-on.

First the area right behind them is public area and all you have is a curtain to separate you. Other passengers brought deck chairs up to right outside of them and played cards, talked, etc. There was also a golf tournament type game that was played all around the cabana deck each morning.

During the transit of the canal there were perhaps a hundred passengers up on the deck and our friends had planned to enjoy their cabana and the canal. They were constantly being interrupted by people walking into their cabana "Just to take a picture" or "Its so hot I just have to stand in front of your fan for a minute", etc.

Twice they went up in the morning to find people using their cabana. Once couple left voluntarily but the other claimed the daily newsletter stated it was illegal to reserve deck chairs and that since they were there first the spot was theirs. Our friends had to get ships personnel to get them out.

All in all they would not rent again on the R ships.

I agree with Don, the cabin is a much better to lounge in and there are always deck chairs available. Besides we go on a cruise to interact with other passengers and around the pool is perfect for that.

All of your points are well taken and we've experienced the same thing on our last cruise including one older gentleman that wandered in, snaped a few pictures and then proceeded to sit down on the daybed while I was reclining on it - uhhh, excuse me...he eventually moved on but never said a word or even acknowledged my existence.

I don't like to be miserable with people and say "get out!" so you're right, some manner of meaningful barrier would have been nice so as to avoid putting both of us in an uncomfortable situation.

The shuffleboarders and golfers do increase the noise volume for maybe an hour in the afternoon but we don't find that terribly distracting and on a couple of occasions we had golf balls rolling around the cabana - not sure if they came through the driving net or someone really didn't know how to putt.

On our cruise of Greece we did have a couple days where the people beside us had their ipod docking station blasting away which was far more intrusive.

We like to interact as well, however, given the choice I'd much prefer to do so fully clothed.:eek: We enjoy the personal service, the privacy, the misting fan and the ability to read a book in relative peace while enjoying the view through the wind break.

We do have one reserved for our Panama cruise next winter on Marina so now you've really got me a bit worried - I would not want to be put in the position of having an ongoing conflict with those "popping in". That would be unfortunate.:(

Friends had a cabana on our Panama Canal cruise a couple of years ago and saw the downside of them. Perhaps they will be better designed on Marina as they will not be an add-on.

First the area right behind them is public area and all you have is a curtain to separate you. Other passengers brought deck chairs up to right outside of them and played cards, talked, etc. There was also a golf tournament type game that was played all around the cabana deck each morning.

During the transit of the canal there were perhaps a hundred passengers up on the deck and our friends had planned to enjoy their cabana and the canal. They were constantly being interrupted by people walking into their cabana "Just to take a picture" or "Its so hot I just have to stand in front of your fan for a minute", etc.

Twice they went up in the morning to find people using their cabana. Once couple left voluntarily but the other claimed the daily newsletter stated it was illegal to reserve deck chairs and that since they were there first the spot was theirs. Our friends had to get ships personnel to get them out.

All in all they would not rent again on the R ships.

I agree with Don, the cabin is a much better to lounge in and there are always deck chairs available. Besides we go on a cruise to interact with other passengers and around the pool is perfect for that.

In my comments about the cabana #25, I did not add another important point. The views are gorgeous. Horizons offers great views as well, but the added privacy and informality of the cabana offered two different perspectives.

If I remember correctly, I think there is a curtain that can be drawn for privacy. I know we had similar problems on the Panama Cruise, along with some very nasty looks and snide comments ("what makes you so special?", "You don't own the view." and my favorite - "I will get up from this lounge chair when I damn good and ready!) That being said - it was such a spectacular view and worth every penny!

K

If I remember correctly, I think there is a curtain that can be drawn for privacy. I know we had similar problems on the Panama Cruise, along with some very nasty looks and snide comments ("what makes you so special?", "You don't own the view." and my favorite - "I will get up from this lounge chair when I damn good and ready!) That being said - it was such a spectacular view and worth every penny!

K

Wow! We had no unpleasant cabana incidents on our Panama crossing last January. The day of the crossing there were some folks standing behind our cabana when we got there and when they saw we were the "renters" they were very pleasant and moved to another vacant spot to look out.

Yes, there is a curtain in the back that can be closed as well as the sides. The curtains enabled all the privacy we wanted and allowed us to feel very relaxed in comparison to lounging on the pool deck where so many people are passing. We are far from swim suit models.

I still say, go for it, to anyone considering a cabana.

Does anyone know if the cabanas on the Marina will be glass enclosed like this photo? It seems like it would get pretty warm in this enclosure, which might be nice on a trans-Atlantic crossing, but not so much in the Caribbean (which is where I'm booked for 3/17/2011). I went ahead and reserved one anyway based on all the talk, as it sounds like a wonderful luxury.

Marilyn

Does anyone know if the cabanas on the Marina will be glass enclosed like this photo? It seems like it would get pretty warm in this enclosure, which might be nice on a trans-Atlantic crossing, but not so much in the Caribbean (which is where I'm booked for 3/17/2011). I went ahead and reserved one anyway based on all the talk, as it sounds like a wonderful luxury.

Marilyn

Marilyn-

There are glass wind breaks in front of the Cabanas on the Marina

Oceania_Marina_At_Sea_570.jpeg

Few of us would want to be up on Deck 16 if they were not in place. If you have ever been on the roof of a waterfront building, you know how windy it can get up there, and those buildings weren't moving at 25 MPH!

Rest assured, however, that your Cabana can be cooler than the typical poolside lounge chair, if that is your preference.

For one thing, the Cabana "roof" is canvas and may be opened or closed, depending on the amount of shade that you desire.

There are also misting fans which are very effective and a fantastic amenity in the tropics.

You look around, and wonder why everyone who passes your cabana looks so wilted, when you feel so relaxed and refreshed........;)

• 7 months later...

I just spoke to a CSR at Oceania regarding cabana rentals on Marina - we're booked on the Feb 26 San Fran to Miami sailing. The agent informed me there are NO CABANAS on Marina - apparently they got a memo on this about a month ago. Yet the interactive deck plan for Marina on Oceania's website shows cabanas on Deck 16! The CSR apologized and said they would remove it from the website to avoid any more confusion!

I just spoke to a CSR at Oceania regarding cabana rentals on Marina - we're booked on the Feb 26 San Fran to Miami sailing. The agent informed me there are NO CABANAS on Marina - apparently they got a memo on this about a month ago. Yet the interactive deck plan for Marina on Oceania's website shows cabanas on Deck 16! The CSR apologized and said they would remove it from the website to avoid any more confusion!

It was announced quite a while ago there would be no cabanas on Marina

Some deck plans show them some do not ;)

Lyn

Archived