Another Acropolis question

doemichael

After reading a number of posts about Acropolis I have decided I will not be able to manage the steps up to it. I am so disappointed :(

My question is, we are thinking of ship tour and Acropalis is included, does the coach drop off and pick up again in same place? Can my husband go on up steps to it and I find somewhere to wait until he comes back ? Maybe go for a walk?

Thanks

After reading a number of posts about Acropolis I have decided I will not be able to manage the steps up to it. I am so disappointed. My question is, we are thinking of ship tour and Acropalis is included, does the coach drop off and pick up again in same place? Can my husband go on up steps to it and I find somewhere to wait until he comes back ? Maybe go for a walk?

There are some options of things to see and do at the middle and lower levels in and around the Acropolis, including the new Museum there. I would discuss with your guide for the ship's tour and see what suggestions they make. You won't be bored. The Acropolis is not out in the middle of no where. Depending on where they drop you off, you might also change your mind and decide to go up the hill. Be flexible. It will all work out fine.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I too was worried about going up. But I was determined and I took it slow and made it ok and this was even with the fact I had caught a bad head cold !!!! There are lots of places to sit down while working your way up to the top too. But if you stay down (near the ticket office) there are benches to sit on under the trees. After we came down there was another hill area dh wanted to go up on......I was only going down from there on out......so I plopped down on the nearest bench and had a wonderful time people watching.

I have a bad knee and on a previous cruise decided against walking up. On my last cruise I decided to try it. It's really not that bad. If you go slow.

Until the very end of the walk, the steps are pretty wide. There are a few places to rest. It's easier coming down because you can take a shortcut down a ramp.

On one of the posts someone mentioned another entrance to the Acropolis which is on the souteastern side and has approx. 100 steps less than the northern entrance. Has anyone used this entrance?

Yes, I did and I also wrote that post. There are three entrances to the Acropolis, but the one near the Akropoli metro stop on the southeastern side is the easiest to use because you are starting your climb halfway up the slope on the south side versus the north side from the ancient Agora.

I chose this route because my husband has trouble with determining the depth of stairs, and indeed there are very few on this route, only a dozen or so before all the paths combine near the Propyleia.

This route primarily is gentle zigzag slopes, and also has the advantage of going right by the two ancient theaters located on the south slope. You indeed will save 100 steps, a significant difference to us, particularly because there are almost no handrails either.

Archived