Copies of Passport

jburke1566

I have read suggestions on here that advise making having at least 2 copies of your passport....one to leave at home with a friend or relative, one to keep in your safe on the ship and then the original to carry off ship on excursions. OK....I can do that. But when making copies, I have a passport book. Do I only need to copy the actual page with my picture on it? I know this is probably a dumb question but first time cruiser and first time passport holder!:)

Make sure to copy the page with your picture on it and your passport number. And there are people with varying opinions. We never take our passports off the boat with us, just the copies. I don't take the chance (very slight) that they will get lost/stolen. I always figure that with my passport number any embassy official can look up my original passport and help. Others swear you need to take your passport off the ship with you. I don't know if there is one correct/right way to do it, just what you feel comfortable with. I also only take the amount of cash (with usually a $100 cushion) that I feel I'll need, and one credit card. The rest is left in the safe.

The page with your picture contains the pertinent information. You don't need copies of the blank entry stamp/visa pages. If you took a land vacation somewhere that requires a visa or has a departure tax it would be a good idea to copy the visa or stamps but for a closed loop cruise from the USA it is unnecessary.

We carry copies but another good idea is to scan your passports, drivers license, etc. and email them to yourself. If something happens to your originals or copies, at least you'll have access to an electronic version...which is better than not having anything at all.

Wow, this thread just answered an unasked question from me! I thought you *had* to have your original passport with you at all times when off the ship. I feel so much better now knowing I can just make copies! :) And the e-mailing yourself a scan of it is an excellent idea.

Thanks! :)

I weigh the pros and cons. It is more likely it will be lost or stolen than that I miss my ship (but could happen). The copy will just involve American officials helping me and make it easier to verify that I have a passport. Everyone has to make the decision for what's best for themself.

Oh wow....this is a tough one....I guess it is conceivable that if I had my passport in a beach bag and walked out to the water to cool off, someone could steal it. Wow....how would I get back on the ship??????

I'm getting a little freaked out now.

Oh wow....this is a tough one....I guess it is conceivable that if I had my passport in a beach bag and walked out to the water to cool off, someone could steal it. Wow....how would I get back on the ship??????

I'm getting a little freaked out now.

They could just as easiily walk away with your DL and BC.. do you just bring copies of those with you??? We always have our passports with us when we debark in any port.. as mentioned it is a personal choice:)

I never leave my passport behind. It is always with me. I don't generally have a copy, either. I have traveled all over the world for 40 years and never lost one. It is a part of me. It signified my place as a citizen of the world. Americans are the only people who seem to feel their passport is so valuable that they have to keep it locked up. the rest of the world laughs at us. EM

We always take our passports with us when visiting ports. We do not have copies made, from what we have been told, those copies will not be of much help if you were "stuck or left behind" at any other the ports. But, like others have said, everyone has their own ideas about this, just a personal choice, I guess.

Here is what the ship does if you do not return, according to ships personnel:

"This sort of thing happens all the time. On a large ship - like the one I manage - every cruise we have at least one cabin that misses the ship at the final port.

Ship Security searches their cabin for passports and valuables, and secures them.

Passports go to the port agent before we depart. Agent arranges visas for those left behind.

The port agent assists in getting the tardy passengers back to our home port (At passenger's expense).

Cabin steward packs up their belongings.

The suitcases are offloaded and waiting at Customs when the passengers come to pick them up."

This is why I feel extremely comfortable leaving my passport in the safe on the ship.

In all honesty (and not trying to be snarky), I don't understand carrying a copy of your passport and leaving the original in the safe on the ship.

The copy will not serve to ID you or get you on a flight out of a port. That's what you have the original for, right? Why would you spend the money and time to get one for that reason and then carry a copy instead? :confused: The copy may expedite replacement, but other than that....it's worthless.

If someone felt the urge to steal your identity, they could steal it just as easily with a stolen drivers license or a credit card as a passport.

I have read suggestions on here that advise making having at least 2 copies of your passport....one to leave at home with a friend or relative, one to keep in your safe on the ship and then the original to carry off ship on excursions. OK....I can do that. But when making copies, I have a passport book. Do I only need to copy the actual page with my picture on it? I know this is probably a dumb question but first time cruiser and first time passport holder!:)

This thread will get vicious before long.

Feel free to do what you want. In the Caribbean IMO there is no reason at all to take your passport off the ship. Mine never leaves the cabin once we board.

As far as copies, etc. It is probably easier to just write the number down and put it in your wallet. That is all you need to start the replacement process, and that is really all the copy is good for. It is worthless for ID purposes.

Archived