Personal Choice or Traditional?

tiffnco

I've just read some threads where people voiced their disapproval of PC dining. I'm going to be going on my first Princess cruise and am not quite sure what to do about this.

Should I try and get a traditional dining seat and if we want to abandon this after a few nights, can we? We're travelling with my dad who likes to eat at a set time...and since we're already used to this, I don't see it as a problem...

Thanks

We tried PC on 2 cruises and on our last cruise went back to Traditional. We much prefer the Traditional, but there are those you would rather have the PC.

I will say that Traditional fills fast, so if you even think you want it book it now. I've read many people on waitlists for Traditional.

The DH and I opted for personal choice as on vacation we try not to have set times for anything except excursions. One of the things we enjoyed about non-traditional dining on another line was the fun of eating when and we wanted and being able to decide if we wanted to be with other travelers. Do what will give you the most joy as you lift your fork with the delicious Princess food!

On our last cruise on the Golden Princess we first chose traditional dining - then switched to PC. Much better for us.

Has anyone been to Alaska on the 10 day round trip cruise from San Francisco on the Regal Princess?

dottycan

I decided to try Anytime dinning on my last cruise but will be going back to traditional on my next. There are pros and cons to both options, but what I like about traditioal is 1) getting to know your table mates and your wait staff 2) having your wait staff get to know your preferences and have them ready before you ask. You just don't get the same level of service in the anytime dinning resturants.

I've just read some threads where people voiced their disapproval of PC dining. I'm going to be going on my first Princess cruise and am not quite sure what to do about this.

Should I try and get a traditional dining seat and if we want to abandon this after a few nights, can we? We're travelling with my dad who likes to eat at a set time...and since we're already used to this, I don't see it as a problem...

Thanks

I think that's a great plan and yes you can do that. It's going the other way, from Anytime Dining to Traditional that is difficult.

I don't see it as a problem either

You just don't get the same level of service in the anytime dinning resturants.

That and the certain camaraderie you gain when dining with the same passengers, with the same wait staff. That doesn’t happen in PC either unless you find people who you dine with every night with the same wait staff…but that’s just Traditional at a different time, isn’t it?

That and the certain camaraderie you gain when dining with the same passengers, with the same wait staff. That doesn’t happen in PC either unless you find people who you dine with every night with the same wait staff…but that’s just Traditional at a different time, isn’t it?

You also don't have the same other tables of passengers around you at the same time as parties come and go like in Traditional Fixed Dining when everyone is seated at the same time.

Hi,

I was reading this thread, and now I have a question.... I'm going on a cruise in March (Sun Princess), and I'm confirmed for traditional dining.....as I understand, that means I have 3 set mealtimes? What happens if I get hungry in the middle of the night, I know soem of the restaurants are open 24 hours, but if i've already had my 3 meals that day, do they charge me extra for that extra mealtime? I'm really curious as to how this works!

Best regards,

Kristin

Hi,

I was reading this thread, and now I have a question.... I'm going on a cruise in March (Sun Princess), and I'm confirmed for traditional dining.....as I understand, that means I have 3 set mealtimes? What happens if I get hungry in the middle of the night, I know soem of the restaurants are open 24 hours, but if i've already had my 3 meals that day, do they charge me extra for that extra mealtime? I'm really curious as to how this works!

Best regards,

Kristin

Hello, Kristin.

On most cruises, Traditional Dining typically applies only for dinner (early or late seating). Most ships offer open seating for breakfast and lunch: This means that anyone can enjoy these meals in the designated restaurant, and you would likely be seated with other passengers for these dining experiences (you wouldn't necessarily be seated with your dinner companions). The buffet is available to anyone on board, as are the pizza station and grill. You can enjoy as many meals as you would like while you're on a cruise!

Hope this helps. Happy sailing!

Chris

We have tried both, and by far prefer the traditional dining approach. Never have we had a problem with our tablemates; in fact, I think we have met some of the most interesting people through traditional dining. The rhythm and routine of traditional dining allows the waitstaff time to do the little extras, such as serving an additional pasta course.

.. Should I try and get a traditional dining seat and if we want to abandon this after a few nights, can we?

Traditional vs. Anytime dining is a matter of choice. If you are undecided read the comments and choose which one you think is the best for you. The majority of the time they will let you change from traditional to anytime but have had some tell us they were not allowed to do that. I think that people who really want Traditional and have not been able to get it would agree that if you are already thinking of abandoning it don't sign up for it and take the spots for those who know that is exactly what they want.

Hi, I was reading this thread, and now I have a question.... I'm going on a cruise in March (Sun Princess), and I'm confirmed for traditional dining.....as I understand, that means I have 3 set mealtimes? What happens if I get hungry in the middle of the night, I know soem of the restaurants are open 24 hours, but if i've already had my 3 meals that day, do they charge me extra for that extra mealtime? I'm really curious as to how this works!

Best regards,

Kristin

There is food available 24 hours a day. You will not be charged for any food unless you go to Sterling Steakhouse or the Ice Cream stand. In the middle of the night you will have the option of room service or the Horizon Court Buffet.

... You just don't get the same level of service in the anytime dinning resturants.
We have found the level of service in anytime dining rooms to be superior to traditional at times. With traditional if you are assigned a wait staff that is great your experience will be great. If your wait staff is not the best you are stuck with them the entire cruise. In the anytime dining rooms you can move on to another set of waiters and find the ones that give you the best service - then if you like make a standing reservation with them.
... The rhythm and routine of traditional dining allows the waitstaff time to do the little extras, such as serving an additional pasta course.
We have always been able to get the same extras in the anytime dining rooms. We have had our waiters suggest items that we might like that are not even on the menu. They have always been more than happy to bring anything we desire that they can obtain for us. We find the rhythm in the anytime dining room to allow wait staff more time for individual attention because they are not trying to serve as many people at the same time.
.. That and the certain camaraderie you gain when dining with the same passengers, with the same wait staff. That doesn’t happen in PC either unless you find people who you dine with every night with the same wait staff…but that’s just Traditional at a different time, isn’t it?
I think you said it all. The difference being that who you dine with and what wait staff you have is your choice, not the ships, with anytime dining. Traditional dining is for those that want to be told when to dine, with whom to dine and who will serve them. For many people that is very important and to others they would rather make their "personal choices".

If you would like a quiet evening at a table for two that is possible with anytime dining where some of the traditional dining rooms do not have any tables for two (Diamond Princess is an example.) so you won't have that option available.

After experiencing PC for the first time on Princess last November.......we will also go back to Traditional from now on.. Future Princess cruises will have us at Traditional.

toothgirl (Kristin),

I can assure you, you will not go hungry on your Princess cruise. You can have breakfast during morning hours at the buffet or the dining room (no set time) and the same for lunch (no set time). There is pizza and burgers available generally most of the day near the pool or in the pizzeria (depending upon the ship). The buffet (Horizon Court) is 24 hours and always seems to have food and desserts, for when you feel like having a snack. If that isn't good enough, you can order room service to your room at any time. It is all free (just be sure to tip the room service waiters when they deliver as they do not get any part of your automatic tip). My problem is that there is so much good food and I'm just too full to try it all.

PS I advise you to only take the stairs instead of the elevators (even when you are going from the 5th floor to the 14th floor). If you do that, you'll find you have less weight gain from eating all that good food! We do that on every cruise, even when we are exhausted after a long day of excursions.

Hi,

Best regards,

Kristin

Nope, it's all included in the price. You can order from room service 24 hours a day or you can visit the buffet for that middle of the night food fix too although the selection will be limited.

If you do go with Traditional and decide to opt out, please remember to let a headwaiter or your maitre d' know. They will have a waitlist of folks who want traditional. Plus, it's quite rude to your tablemates and servers to just disappear for the rest of the cruise.

We have always had traditional dining. On our past three cruises we have always had family at our table, but on this cruise (Diamond) we are by ourselves, and we have traditional late seating. It will be interesting to see who our tablemates will be as we had a not-so-good experience on another cruise. That's another story. We plan to roll with the flow.

Call me an old fuddy-duddy if you must, but my wife and I prefer 1st Seating, Traditional, with a round table for six preferred (great for good conversations).

We are not night people, eat early at home, and prefer to eat early on ship.

That allows us to keep on schedule, see an early show, and still be relatively early to bed, not on a full stomach just up from the dinner table.

Works for us.

Isn't it wonderful we have so many choices?

We prefer traditional late dining.

We are late diners at home and like to eat late on the ship.

(Just like Druke I, but in reverse :D )

Yes...we sometimes go to bed on full stomachs.

Anytime dining seemed "rushed" to me....I really prefer traditional because it has the feel of having the "dining" experience.

We also get a table for 4....sometimes the the 4 of us can get into quite a discussion...heated or intense or whatever you want to call it....I can't even imagine subjecting other diners to our dinner conversations :eek:

We have always done PC dining on Princess, but are going to try traditional, late on our upcoming cruises. We found that PC was fine on the Star, but Diamond has a different setup, where we had to make reservations at 6:00 or 8:00. So it really wasn't PC in the classic sense. Royal Caribbean only has traditional (plus their buffet & specialty restaurants), and we've always enjoyed our large tables. We don't like tables for 4 (if you don't like the one couple you're with, there really isn't much to talk about & it's very awkward), and will trade up to a larger size if they give us a 4-top.

We just had Traditional 1st seating on the 1/8 CB. We did so because we were a group of 9 and we knew it would be a problem getting a table together each nite if we took Anytime. The service we had was fantastic. Our Waiter George and his Assistant Michale went above and beyond. We were always the last out of the dining room. Not because the service was slow, but because we had so much fun.

Archived