Finding Money for a Cruise

Hi...sorry for the slightly off topic note. I've recently become a rather frugal person. I thought I was frugal before and had cut everything to the bone. Well...I was wrong!

I actually started requoting my auto insurance and I was FLOORED to find out that I could save $500/year AND get more significantly more coverage by just switching insurance companies (the same coverage would cost over $600 less!). I tried the one with the irritating lady ("discount!") and the one with the gecko. Both were hundreds/year cheaper but neither would give me a quote for my homeowners. I found another famous 3 letter company who would do both for over $500 less.

I'm surprised because that's nearly 1 person's cruise fee! Wish I had requoted before. I had the agent try it 2 years ago...I got a bargain on the auto but they more than doubled my homeowners, erasing any savings from the auto. I gave up. But I'm so angry at my insurance agents for doing nothing for me that I started trying to change.

So....if you want to cruise and need to find the $$$...get new quotes on your insurance! Negotiate with the TV services (I would...but I'm already getting my temporary $20/mo discount...). I negotiated with TMobile to get my $550 phone down to $250 - I just begged and pleaded then reminded them that I was no longer under contract and maybe I'd just run over to ATT....suddenly I got a bargain to stay! :) Which was good because I didn't want to leave. I told them we had a great 12 year relationship...no need to be unfriendly. :) I find that virtually any company that you have a subscription or annual fee service with for many years, you can negotiate a discount with.

I'm sure other people have creative ways to find a few hundred dollars of cruising money! :)

Southergoose.....you are exactly right. Several years ago our cable carrier called and tried to sell us an expensive package that included all the premium channels. DH said, "offer me a deal that I can't refuse." And they did. We were told it would be for 6 months only, and then the price would revert back to the "regular" price. When the 6 months was up, we called and said, "continue at the lowered price or we'll just cancel it. And they did. We've been re-upping at that lowered price for years. All you gotta do is ask!:D

Karen

Archived