What's happening in Machu Picchu-mudslides

Rusty

Close to 2,000 tourists are stranded. Mud slides hamper train to Machu Picchu.

Anyone visiting before or after a cruise NOW?

Stories:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10622308

http://www.canadaeast.com/news/article/932440

http://www.latinamericalinks.com/Peru_Rains_Mudslides_Deluge_Machu_Picchu_Region.htm

Sorry to hear about the mudslides. That rail track is the lifeline between Aguas Calientes and the rest of the Sacred Valley. I wonder if there was any impact on the Inca Trail?

Technically - the rainy season is over by April (May for sure) ... but who knows with the climate shift these days.

We were in Peru in April last year and had a bit of rain ... nothing to stop us from enjoying our trip, but some of the locals did say they were seeing more rain in April than they had in March.

Photos are here if you're interested in a virtual trip -

These mudslides happen about every 3-4 years. Sometimes the slides are very bad, sometimes only so-so (cleared in a matter of hours). They usually have the tracks open within a couple of days even during the worst of the slides. This year appears to be worse than normal, but the Urubamba River roils all winter long due to the rains. Dirtiest river I have seen worldwide.

I have never been stuck in Agua Calientes but have been prevented from getting TO MP in 2005.

Something to prepare for if you have limited time or must get back to the ship independently. From Lima, there are flights to Guyaquil, Arica and most of the other port stops. May not be the easiest flight routing, but it IS doable. But extra precautions are just that-extra precautions. The chances of this happening on YOUR trip are really slim.

h2so4:thank you so much for your wonderful pictures,I actually got tears in my eyes.This trip is a dream come true for us.When my hubby gets home I'm going to show him your pictures.Thanks again.

Kimberley

dileep:thank you for the videos,I love the flute music you have with the videos.I don't know what it is about that flute but it makes me very emotional.Maybe I have some peruvian in me some where.I thought about canceling our trip to Machu Picchu,February 10th but the cost of moving airlines and what have you is tremendous.If we can't get to Machu Picchu then we will site see around Cusco area,we will make the best of it.

Kimberley

dileep:thank you for the videos,I love the flute music you have with the videos.I don't know what it is about that flute but it makes me very emotional.Maybe I have some peruvian in me some where.I thought about canceling our trip to Machu Picchu,February 10th but the cost of moving airlines and what have you is tremendous.If we can't get to Machu Picchu then we will site see around Cusco area,we will make the best of it.

Kimberley

There was a guy playing the flute in the Sacred Valley and I was so ataken by it that I had to buy his CD from him. I think I may even have him in my video. I hope that the problems are cleared up and you have a great time!

BTW, if you have problems with altitude sickness, take medicine. Hopefully you are staying in a hotel in Cusco that has oxygen for you.

I just heard from the guide we hired for our excursion to MP and Cusco this summer. He was stranded in MP along with 1900 tourists. He finally got evacuated by helicopter yesterday. The evacuations are proceding well, but any trips to MP may be questionable for the next couple of weeks. The bridges near Pisac and Ollantaytambo have been compromised. The train to Aguas Calientes is not running yet.

yes.we just heard last night that the train will not be running when we are there,February 10th,So we have decided to spend our extra time around the Lima area,see the Nazca lines and other things.We'll make Machu Picchu at another adventure.

Kimberley

I am currently in Santiago, flying to Lima/Cusco tonight. I have been in contact with my export factories in Cusco/Puno extensively, to make sure my merchandise will be ready to go. The water is receding somewhat. And all three factory contacts plus my personal translator/driver state the rail will be open to MP by the end of next week IF there are no more torrential rains.

If you have a trip planned to MP and simply can't go from Cusco because the rail is not open, you may want to consider a rail trip to Puno. One of the most spectacular rail journeys I have ever been on and Lake Titicaca is another do not miss in the area. Be VERY careful in Lake Titicaca-take it VERY easy. It is even higher than Cusco and AMS is a real possibility. The train climbs to 16,000 feet, but has oxygen on the train.

You can also fly from Cusco to Juliaca (airport for Lake Titicaca) or fly to Arequippa and see the condors of Colca Canyon. Lots of opportunities to see things few ever see IF you cannot get to MP from Cusco via rail. Enjoy!!!

The word from TACA when we rebooked was that they were't flying into Cusco at the moment. They weren't sure exactly when they would resume service. Now that was several days ago....they might know more now. Looks like that part of the trip for us will be left for another day.

Mary

The word from TACA when we rebooked was that they were't flying into Cusco at the moment. They weren't sure exactly when they would resume service. Now that was several days ago....they might know more now. Looks like that part of the trip for us will be left for another day.

Mary

That is really a bummer. LAN hasn't notified me that any flights are cancelled into Cusco for this weekend. Hopefully, I will be able to get up there. I have 4-500 pounds of stuff to get out of there. Guess it is just wait and see when I get to the Lima airport.

We will have to have our drinks at Norton's Rat Tavern another day.

Gina

Dear Gina,

It is a disappointment, but we will make plans for another time. We had everything set and ready to go, but considering all that has happened, we actually grateful we're weren't there at that time, and hope all is well for those that were.

Have a safe trip, and report back about what's actually happening in the region. And, yes, hopefully one day we will have our drinks at Norton's.....I'll hold us all to that promise!!:)

BTW, no seats were available for any TACA flight to BA that would get us to our ship on time. In the end, our options were to book a whole new ticket on another airline for a much higher price, or convert our current tickets to business class, for a lesser cost (although not much), which is what we did. Now we get better seating and lounges for the layovers....we may just like this way of traveling!! So much for the bargain airfare!!

Thank you again for all your help planning this trip. Take care,

Mary

Mary

It seems that TACA is the airline not flying into Cuzco at present. Lots of really irate people at the Lima airport last night/early this morning. The Lan Peru planes were full, full, full. TACA cancelled their flights, which also cancelled all the codeshare flights with United/Avianca as well.

Don't have a clue why TACA cancelled. No one seemed to know and I spent a few minutes with the LAN senior customer service rep when I landed last evening.

And as I have posted so many times, Lan Peru is canceling today's afternoon flights into Cusco. The clouds are starting to roll in. Lan Peru 72 from Puerto Maldonado to Cuzco is on hold (scheduled to leave in about 20 minutes), LP 29 from Lima has been cancelled and I expect most of the other afternoon flights will be cancelled into Cuzco. To ensure you make it to Cuzco on the same day, you absolutely MUST fly before 11AM.

Archived