Passport needed ?

coastiedee

Hi, Just wondering if anybody knows if a passport is needed to do a cruise to Tasmania. I have a passport but my partner does not. We are considering doing a cruise on Rhapsody Of The Seas. Of course i have to think of these things on a public holiday when everyone is shut. Cheers and thanks,

Dee

Hi, Just wondering if anybody knows if a passport is needed to do a cruise to Tasmania. I have a passport but my partner does not. We are considering doing a cruise on Rhapsody Of The Seas. Of course i have to think of these things on a public holiday when everyone is shut. Cheers and thanks,

Dee

We sailed the Qld cruise on Sun Princess which officially didnt leave Aussie waters, so therefore were not required to have a passport, we did however have to have valid photo id like Drivers Lic......We were also going to do the Rhapsody Tassie cruise and asked the same question...all good, as long as you have photo id :)

no pass port needed but is not duty free

when the Rhapsody went to Tassie last year you could duty free and they didnt have any customs at Sydney and when they did the one night cruise to nowhere they could duty free also......they must not be goverened by our laws

rkmw

when the Rhapsody went to Tassie last year you could duty free and they didnt have any customs at Sydney and when they did the one night cruise to nowhere they could duty free also......they must not be goverened by our laws

rkmw

Thats handy to know that thank you. was it a leg of cruise that the rhapsody was doing may be?

rkmw

Hi RKMW, we went and saw the Diamond today...never realised how big it was. Hope you have a great trip. Where are you picking it up from? :)

Thats handy to know that thank you. was it a leg of cruise that the rhapsody was doing may be?

hi jonno, the Rhapsody was only doing a cruise to Tassie and return to Sydney plus a one night cruise.....their rules must be different to our laws

hi Cazz, we are cruising out of Sydney on Thurs to NZ but we are doing a b2b.....saves flying home

rkmw

Dee

The last I heard, Tasmania was still a part of Australia ;). So, if you are an Australian, you should not need a passport to cruise there. Of course, other nationalities will need a passport.

However, it may still depend on the itinerary and the cruise line's requirements. if you are going to leave Australian waters, then you may need a passport. Why don't you ask the cruise line?

The last I heard, Tasmania was still a part of Australia ;). So, if you are an Australian, you should not need a passport to cruise there. Of course, other nationalities will need a passport.

However, it may still depend on the itinerary and the cruise line's requirements. if you are going to leave Australian waters, then you may need a passport. Why don't you ask the cruise line?

When we sailed on Rhapsody in 2008 we were told by TA that even travelling in australian waters being an American ship you still needed a valid passport, a friend went to book an Aust cruise on Rhapsody also and was told the same from a different TA best check it out! Robin:confused:

Although we were on a domestic cruise, stopping at only Australian ports, we sailed around this tiny island about 270km out to sea, it was out of Australian waters, but they just did that to give the ship, duty free status...worked for us nicely;) Yeah, if unsure ring RCL...as i said before they told us we didnt need it on the Tassie cruise, but things may have changed :)

Although we were on a domestic cruise, stopping at only Australian ports, we sailed around this tiny island about 270km out to sea, it was out of Australian waters, but they just did that to give the ship, duty free status...worked for us nicely;) Yeah, if unsure ring RCL...as i said before they told us we didnt need it on the Tassie cruise, but things may have changed :)

Wallis Island

Dee

Are you serious???? hahahaha, that is so funny..... Is Tasmania not a state of Australia???????

Are you serious???? hahahaha, that is so funny..... Is Tasmania not a state of Australia???????

Gawd no need for sarcasm:cool: I think the `posters` question was `is a passport` needed for the actual cruise line for ID purposes, not specific to the places the cruise was visiting..i may be wrong but i gave the person that posted the thread a little more credit ;)

Hey Sandy, Willis Island that was it, its absolutely tiny, it has a little research station that i think 3 people live on for like 6 months of the year, studying the weather...its a cute little oasis in the middle of nowhere....and as mentioned gives the ship its duty free status....bring it on i say:)

Sorry, didnt mean it to come across sarcastic icon7.gif

Hehe nah, all good. Unfortunately you can never sense the tone on these boards unless some type of smiley is inserted :p Interesting thing is, we had a panic attack when we first booked our domestic cruise as all the correspondence says `passport required` and i`m like `*****` we are not leaving Australia!!!!...that was soon cleared up, but i spose you dont know if you dont ask.

Hehe nah, all good. Unfortunately you can never sense the tone on these boards unless some type of smiley is inserted :p Interesting thing is, we had a panic attack when we first booked our domestic cruise as all the correspondence says `passport required` and i`m like `*****` we are not leaving Australia!!!!...that was soon cleared up, but i spose you dont know if you dont ask.

Phew, thought I was in trouble there for a minute..haha.....I had read a few posts in the past from "you know who" and thought how rude he was and sarcastic...It got that way I was too scared to ask something incase he said something rude or sarcastic back..... then I had an awful thought that i may have come across like that...Nooooooooo.

Seriously though, do you mean if you are cruising Aus waters you still have to provide your passport or did I misunderstand :) Fionaicon7.gif

Hi Fiona, I understand where you are coming from! I was on the receiving end for a while there (and still am, on the roll call). I felt as though everyone would think I was a troublemaker and nearly kept a low profile for a while. Then I thought, what the heck, :rolleyes: no-one is going to drive me away when my conscience is clear. :cool:

I'm cruising in 3 weeks' time with my DH. Wooooohoooooo, yayyyy, bring it onnnnnnnn. It's gonna be grreaaaatttt!!! :D:D:D

Hi Fiona, I understand where you are coming from! I was on the receiving end for a while there (and still am, on the roll call). I felt as though everyone would think I was a troublemaker and nearly kept a low profile for a while. Then I thought, what the heck, :rolleyes: no-one is going to drive me away when my conscience is clear. :cool:

I'm cruising in 3 weeks' time with my DH. Wooooohoooooo, yayyyy, bring it onnnnnnnn. It's gonna be grreaaaatttt!!! :D:D:D

Sandy, you are a liked and respected member, and it will be a cold day in Hell, before i let anyone scare you away. Ok, i might be just a gay boy, but i can give chinese burns that sting for a good 5-10 minutes and leave a really nasty red mark if i have to do it...:)

I really wasnt being rude, I was just shocked that they would ask for passport....for an Australian cruise, which is what I thought the C'Cer meant.

3 weeks....You lucky thing. We did the NYE cruise on Pacific Dawn and only got off 2-3 weeks ago... Feels like it was months and months ago......... It was our 2nd cruise on Pacific Dawn... We got the cruise blues so bad when we got home, got straight on the internet and found a special on Rhapsody Of The Seas NYE......lol...... Have only been with P&O and Princess so it should be great.....

On our NYE cruise some of the same staff were on there and a security man we befriended previously was still there, was so good to see him, We went out for tea with him one night and had photo's taken with him to remember him by.

How long is your cruise for and where are you going?

If you have any queries, fire away.... Fiona

You know the interesting thing with what you have said....have a look at a brand new members recent posts in this thread and i will bare my bum in Bourke St if thats not the reincarnate of who you speak of ;)....I am sure Sandy will know what i am referring to.. In answer to your question, i dont think you actually need your passport, all the correspondence we got from Princess, states that was the preferred ID but if it was a domestic cruise, drivers licence was ok :)

I think I follow....:rolleyes: If so, one is being much nicer and must have eaten a dictionary icon10.gif

Archived