Cunard Transfers

bib

Have booked a Cunard 3 night post crossing stay in New York but I am wondering about the wisdom of using the coach transfer from the ship. Friends have said that it is best to self disembark and use a taxi into town thereby allowing an earlier start and avoiding a lengthy tour around the various drop off points. As I have only a few days in the city, I want to drop my luggage at the hotel and hit the ground running. :cool:

Have booked a Cunard 3 night post crossing stay in New York but I am wondering about the wisdom of using the coach transfer from the ship. Friends have said that it is best to self disembark and use a taxi into town thereby allowing an earlier start and avoiding a lengthy tour around the various drop off points. As I have only a few days in the city, I want to drop my luggage at the hotel and hit the ground running. :cool:

It's quite a ride from Brooklyn into New York and quite expensive by taxi.

I am not sure how it works in Brooklyn but in Southampton the Cunard coachs are always the first off, unless you have priority disembarkation that is.

You have all those sea days on board QM2 to think about it :)

I think your friends have given you good advice. A cab from the Redhook into New York City should cost about $25 to $35 depending on the location of your hotel. By using a cab, you can go directly to your hotel and start enjoying the city. You might meet someone on the ship who is going to the same hotel and you could share the expense.

Beth

This was my experience of an included transfer.

Left ship approx 10am. Immigration approx ¾ hour. Informed on the coach that check in was 2.30pm and a short tour of NYC followed by a lunch ‘opportunity’ would be our programme.

Whizzed round NYC passing all the usual sights, not one of which was mentioned by the ‘guide’ who concentrated on shilling for NYC excursions.

OK for us we had been before but a shame for first timers. Even the 9/11 site didn’t get a mention.

Decanted at South Street Seaport for the lunch opportunity. Basically a historically themed mall, most shops selling stuff of the souvenir type. Very crowded. Lots of places to eat though, of varying quality and price. Nice enough on a fine day I suppose but not exactly where I would want to be if I’d been up since the crack of dawn to see the sail in.

Reloaded onto bus at approx 2pm.

Arrived at hotel, the Marriott, along with three other coaches, I leave you to imagine the meleé.

Next time we had an included transfer, the day before disembarkation I informed the TA who was with us that we would not be joining the coach. Signed a waiver.

Disembarked self help approx 7.30. waited 10 mins in taxi queue.

$25+tip to hotel, The Rooseveldt , Dumped luggage. Enquired about getting an early check-in advised to come back about noon.

Had b’fast and a walk around. Returned to hotel at noon. Got room. Had shower and nap and sallied forth again at approx 3.30 in search of Martinis.

Hotel lobby a seething masss of Cunard people who had just been offloaded from coaches.

Not saying this is typical but just my experience.

Ratty

=Not saying this is typical but just my experience.

My only included transfers were in 2003.

My ship to hotel transfer matched Ratty's experience. It was really dismal. Check in to the Waldorf=Astoria was chaotic.

I had an included transfer to the airport in the afternoon. I didn't need it as I wasn't taking the included flight. Cunard wanted extra money to remove the transfer to the airport and the flight. I told them to stuff it.

For all I know (or care) they are still looking for me.

Apparently the transfers are handled by the shore tours staff,and my own experience is that they are very sloppy in the details.

Time and time again I have received incorrect information on where to assemble for departure.In fact on one cruise I had as many as 3 different locations on the ship and 3 different coloured tags on contacting the tour office all I got was a shrug of the shoulders, and the remark that "since you knew two of the notices were incorrect what is the big deal?"

When I have taken the transport bus to the ship (from the hotel) the passengers hve been dropped off quite a distance away from the terminal building, and the bus has been met by a longshoremen group who made it clear "you HAVE to pay us to handle your baggage".

This time although I am going to use the transfer to the airport at the end of the cruise, on the day before the cruise I have arranged my own hotel (even though it is one used by Cunard) and will travel to the hotel and next day to the ship by cab.

I agree too! We had prebooked a car to pick us up which made me panic when I found out re staggered disembarkation (first timers). However, a quick phone call and the car was postponed until we were actually in the waiting area and I contacted the company again. I think that Cunard would only take to hotels booked via Cunard otherwise just general drop off points but I think yours is part of a package.

On our most recent trip, two of our table companions decided to self disembark as they only had one night's stay and wanted to make sure they got to see everything and shop!

I received an email from them later and they were booked into their hotel and off sightseeing whilst lots of passengers were still disembarking.

If you can handle your luggage yourself, I would imagine it's worth doing- if not just get a taxi anyway from outside.

Enjoy!

Thanks for all the responses. Will aim to self disembark and take a taxi into town. Like the idea of dumping the cases at the hotel and being ready to explore by mid morning rather than mid afternoon.

Archived