Driving from Wrangell-st Elias to Denali

recker

My wife and I are planning a southbound Alaska cruise and plan to spend a week prior to the cruise visiting the interior. We are national parks junkies and it is important to us to visit Denail, Wrangell St. Elias, and Kenai Fjords (and stamp our park passport books.) After searching the boards quite a bit, I have a couple of questions that I hope folks can help me with.

1) Is it ridiculous to try to get from Wrangell-St. Elias to Denali in a day? Mapquest says it is 360 miles (toward Anchorage) and 380 miles (via Fairbanks) and 6 - 6.5 hours. That sounds a little quick, but even 8 hours of actual driving time seems do-able (not counting stops). For perspective, my wife and I have quite a bit of experience driving two-lane highways in the western U.S., and don't need lots of stops for meals/other breaks.

2) I know the Richardson highway is not particularly scenic north of Glenallen, but is it silly to take the slightly longer route via Fairbanks? We will have driven the Glenn (Anchorage - Glenallen) and the Parks (Denali - Anchorage) on other parts of trip, and it seems a shame to backtrack if we don't have to.

For background, our tentative plan is:

Day 1: Arrive Anchorage

Day 2: Anchorage - Kenai Fjords cruise - return Anchorage

Day 3: Anchorage - Copper Center

Day 4: McCarthy/Kennicot fly in - glacier hike, mill tour, fly out

Day 5: Copper Center - Denali

Day 6: All day Denali (early shuttle to Eileson, abandon shuttle and hike)

Day 7: Denali - Anchorage (sightseeing or excursions morning and/or enroute

Day 8: Board cruise.

One more note -- we'll likely be departing from Whittier, which is less efficient from the standpoint of visiting Kenai. On the other hand, we probably wouldnt want to take a long boat tour the day that we get on the ship, anyway.

Thoughts are welcome, especially if you've driven these routes. Thanks

Can you add a couple more days?? This is a marathon trip, of which, you are underestimating time and distances. I do not recommend your round trip Anchorage for Kenai Fjords. And to get your passport "stamped" you'll need to get to Exit Glacier, where the visitor center is. It is not out on a boat tour. :)

Copper Center/Denali is definately better over 2 days. As an alternative, IF you add a few more days, would be to ferry from Whittier to Valdez, from Seward touring. A fantastic route, loaded with scenery. The key here is MORE days.

But, why "not" do a Kenai Fjords the same day as a ship embarkment/disembarkment? It is an excellent use of time, and actually better then what you currently have planned with all the driving back and forth to Anchorage?

If you want to max out the National Park, then get a routing with Sitka, and Skagway. The only national parks on the Inside Passage.

I suggest you rethink this. At the least, have some of your "time" shifted to the embarkment day. With your current miles and miles, I would move your days, and drive Denali/Whittier (NOT Seward). You will need a switch of car to a one way Avis, BUT, it makes far better use of your time. Then getting yourself through the 4:30/5:30 tunnel. If you go out of Seward, do your boat tour, and Exit Glacier visit that day.

This is a marathon trip, of which, you are underestimating time and distances.

Budget Queen, thanks for the taking the time to respond. I agree the itinerary needs tweaking -- part of the complicating factor is that we may have extended family join us for the cruise and part of the land tour, so I don't have total flexibility (thanks also for the heads up about Exit Glacier - I didn't realize we had to go there for the stamp - though there might be a NPS kiosk near the boat dock)

Here's my main question though, with which I should have been more clear: There's been a lot of discussion on the boards about underestimating time and distance. My question is, in what way?

Do Mapquest times severely underestimate driving times for Alaska? Is it "hard" driving (due to twisty/hilly roads)? Is road construction/RV traffic very likely to add multiple hours?

My wife and I have taken many driving vacations, and have a good sense of our limits. I'm just trying to get a sense of how realistic the information I'm seeing online is.

On an unrelated note, it's been a real pleasure to read all your comments on this board while I've been researching. It's clear you have a real passion for Alaska and for ensuring that people enjoy their time there, so I hope you don't take my looking for better understanding as challenging your judgement.

Mapquest doesn't understand local conditions in Alaska especially seasonal ones. If you get stuck behind a line of RV's that are illegally in a convoy situation the speed drops. This can also happen with too many tour buses. If there is an accident the road can close down in one or both directions. I have been driving on Alaska highways when the roads were shut down by a big accident and I had to sleep in my car. I've had to wait out wrecks on the Seward Highway and also on the road down to Homer. I've been seriously delayed many times on the Parks Highway.

I have also stopped to aid when an accident was fresh. That's why I carry extra blankets.

Summer is Alaska is construction season. Need I say more?

I always am prepared when driving in Alaska for a break down or a situation where I might be forced to 'car camp'. I have blankets, food, water, emergency gear and tools. Even with the improvements in cell phone services you are still going to be driving in some very lonely areas.

You need to buy a MILEPOST and keep it with you for the entire trip.

Two places to get your Kenai Fjords passport stamp. One is Exit Glacier. Second place is right in town near where the Kenai Fjords boats depart from - there is an NPS office there and yes, they have a stamp.

Sorry, for the Exit visitor center information. This is definately more convenient for the poster. :)

Budget Queen, thanks for the taking the time to respond. I agree the itinerary needs tweaking -- part of the complicating factor is that we may have extended family join us for the cruise and part of the land tour, so I don't have total flexibility (thanks also for the heads up about Exit Glacier - I didn't realize we had to go there for the stamp - though there might be a NPS kiosk near the boat dock)

Here's my main question though, with which I should have been more clear: There's been a lot of discussion on the boards about underestimating time and distance. My question is, in what way?

Do Mapquest times severely underestimate driving times for Alaska? Is it "hard" driving (due to twisty/hilly roads)? Is road construction/RV traffic very likely to add multiple hours?

My wife and I have taken many driving vacations, and have a good sense of our limits. I'm just trying to get a sense of how realistic the information I'm seeing online is.

On an unrelated note, it's been a real pleasure to read all your comments on this board while I've been researching. It's clear you have a real passion for Alaska and for ensuring that people enjoy their time there, so I hope you don't take my looking for better understanding as challenging your judgement.

Penny, states very real concerns for driving Alaska. Construction is a big "problem" in the summer. I have personally been in line ups, for pilot cars, waiting an hour for them to return. One trip had the Sterling, closed for 2 hours due to blasting.

Second fact, it isn't a 65mph freeway. The speed varies, greatly. And lastly, there is so much interesting stuff, along the way. Yes I do take advantage of many stops- and I think there is way less of a trip, with people just driving by, missing out, due to tight time schedules.

Mapquest, is not a good reference, nor would I ever recommend it. You need THE MILEPOST. See if your library has a copy, it can be an old edition. Then take a look at the highways you list. The new editions come out in March. You can pick up discounted copies in Anchorage Walmarts.

Thank you for the kind words. My only reason for posting is to encourage, people to see and do more. :) (and make the best use of time- which is so valuable)

Mapquest doesn't understand local conditions in Alaska especially seasonal ones

This is helpful, thanks. So:

Optimal driving times: extremely unlkely.

Sub-optimal driving times (say, up to 50% worse): Very likely

Catastrophically worse driving times: Not necessarily likely, but much more likely than in the lower 48

Will reconsider the degree to which we're willing to roll the dice.

Archived