Ram The Butler: Awesome, the best

JEDIKNIGHT

(I accidentally posted this on roll call. CruiseCritic if you pull one of the posts, please leave THIS one intact, thank you.)

Sorry I'm procrastinating on my main review of the recent Mercury cruise but I want to collect thoughts. Overall wonderful. But JUST in case X managers read this board, I have to mention RAM the Butler.

I'm realistic and I realize that by being in the Penthouse Suite, X probably puts their better staff there, and perhaps goes an extra mile here and there.

But, as someone who has been granted good luck by God and America, I've been fortunate to spend quality weeks at many Ritz Carlton/Four Season hotels, and multiple Regent/Radisson cruises.......and I can honestly say, that Ram topped them all. He just crushed them. It was not just a smiling face, a friendly greeting, or goofy canapes delivered daily.

It was sincerity and warmth. It was almost convincing me that he was THRILLED to be serving us.

It was quickly learning our food routine with 20 month DD, and daily replenishing proper fruits, enough milk boxes, etc. We were going to do it ourselves, yet somehow daily he'd clean DD's bottles, spoons, etc and by day 2 learned what our favorite fruits are, or to leave a covered fruit plate in the fridge of DW gets her usual late nite munchies. Once we were in the computer lounge filling out an excursion form, and there was a 10-deep line for that desk. Ram spotted us and found it unacceptable that we'd be have to rush MDR dinner so he told us to go relax, and he took care of it all.

When there were maintenance issues with the suite, Ram personally brought technicians up, and waited until they finished work. Or making sure DD doesn't fall down during rocky seas, cause he noticed me putting on my tie and suit.

Then there's room service and yes, I know this is part of the package but mostly, everything was warm and hot. Service was not robotic, but food was delivered by someone who I thought was with our family for decades.....kinda like Alfred....Batman's butler. If my parents(staying in a sky suite) were on babysitting duty at nite for DD.....Ram WITHOUT being told would arrange a complete and good Indian meal and serve them. (Parents are Indian).

I think the only way I could have had it easier is if I were President of the United States living in the White House.

I'll write to X's President this week but in case they are reading this....enough superlatives can't be showered on Ram. I can't guarantee anyone's business or management acumen, but I CAN guarantee that any hospitality business who allows Ram to influence other service employees will see their ratings go up.

I thought we were splurging on Regent/Radisson all these years.

Now I think we were roughing it. Ram was that good.

More great staff to discuss later, but I had to do Ram 1st.

Wishing everyone safe travels and yes, at the risk of ridicule but from the heart:

May the Force be with you.

Celebrity Mercury 12 nights Winter, 2009 E Carib

NCL GEM 7 nights March 2009 Bahamas

(Can't stand the Bahamas)

Regent Navigator, Caribbean 5 nights

Regent Mariner, Alaska 7 nights

Regent Voyager, Caribbean 7 nights

Regent Mariner, Alaska 10 nights

We also had Ram when we sailed in the Penthouse Suite on Millennium. He was absolutely brilliant, as you rightly say, 100% better than any butler we have had anywhere in the world & that's saying something as we frequently visit the Far East where their service is exceptional.

Ram had 7 other suites to look after, but he truly made us feel like we were his only guests. Nothing we asked for was a problem and he went out of his way to help us whenever he could as far as anticipating what our requirements would be.

We invited our table mates to dine with us towards the end of the cruise and Ram completely took charge, issuing invitations, arranging menus. He was still serving drinks well after midnight, when we had to virtually insist that he retire for the night and clear everything up the following day, bearing in mind he started work before 6am.

If you are lucky enough to have Ram as your butler, you will have brilliant service

We were lucky enough to have a PH on the Infinity last year and had Jude as a butler. (I believe he went to the Connie) I felt the same way about him. He knew our every needs and would take care of any problems we had encountered. This included him pushing my rather large daughter in a wheelchair to sick bay after she took a fall in a port and tore ligments in her ankle. (He saw me starting to take her and would not allow it)

I am hoping we have as great a butler as Jude was on our upcoming trip.

Celebrity really does have some wonderful butlers!

It is so great to read such positive superlatives. Thank you for sharing. We have been lucky enough to have a butler once on the Galaxy; his name was Daniel and he was from Romania. He was thoughtful, helpful and made our cruise very , very special.

It really is wonderful to read positives here... :)

Our butler on Galaxy was Elvis. What a wonderful gentleman. He did everything he could think of to make us comfortable and feel special. We'll be on Mercury in March in a Sky Suite and I only hope we have the same wonderful service and attention from the butler. Our room steward on the same cruise was exceptionally wonderful and he worked well with Elvis. With that team you can be sure our cruise experience was one of the best.

Pat C

Hi Susie!:)

I'm wondering if your referring to the same Ram that we had as a butler on our 14 day Solstice sailing. If so, he was excellent! He couldn't do enough for us and was always professional. Within a few days he knew what we wanted even before we did.;) Just another reason, we enjoy sailing with Celebrity.

Patty

hrprof.....I had 1047 PH.

JUST in case your air conditioning isn't sufficient, and the maintenance dude says it's normal, there IS something they can adjust downstairs to make it cooler. The 1st maint dude did nothing but the 2nd, whose English was tough to understand said "I change it downstairs" and after that it was great.

Just passing it on, I sure wish I knew about it the 1st 3 nites!

Archived