Smart Casual - the debate

blitznbobs

Carnival is a very casual line. Several conversations have been going on here. No wonder you are confused. Some are referring to other lines (including some of my posts) whose suggested code is not as casual, such as HAL. Carnival actually allows jeans and more casual dress on casual nights.

As I posted, I follow the guidelines of suggested dress for whatever cruise line I am cruising. On NCL I wore white jeans to dinner and khaki slacks, as their suggested code is much more relaxed, but I would have been out of place, and not following suggestive code if I had worn that on HAL.

I think that is the crux of that matter, there are some who want to dress casually, no matter which line they are cruising, and their argument is the dress code is "suggested," so it is not necessary to dress smart casual if you prefer to be dressed more causal.

Good to know, thanks! If I ever do another cruise, I think I should stick with Carnival and NCL :) I spent way too many years married into a family that had a lot of formal events, and I feel like I've "done my time" as far as dressing up goes :D

• 3 weeks later...

I think = a nice pair of jeans that have a perfect fit for your body (sorry ,no mom jeans) with a nice top and shoes are safe. I like the "long and lean" style from Gap. They are very flattering and have a slight flare on the bottom which work great with heels.

IMHO nice jeans look better than some polyester pants or clothes that people drape themselves with and think they are dressed appropriately for the occasion.

countdown.pl?image=Beach-10&name=&date=4-5-2010&text=&ship=Carnival Destiny

That is fine lots of women don't wear heels and dresses to the MDR and they look great.

I like dresses and heels so thats what I wear. I also have a lot of them

Being short 5"2 and DH is 6"1 heels are just part of my every day life.:)

Yup Heels here too my hubby 6' 6" & I am 5'2" sooooooo heels for me:)

I wear dresses on Carnival everynight. For me a nice maxi length or easy to pack and still "dressy casual" jersey dress.

1. easy to pack (less wrinkle prone)

2. weigh less in suitcase (so i can take more shoes and coverups)

3. only need a couple sweaters to match with all of them (even more room for shoes)

4. less fabric on my sunburned body :(

5. I just feel sexier in a dress;)

That being said, I think trouser style or nice skinny jeans would be absolutely fine for smart casual. Most ladies have their favorite look, one we are comfortable in. We you feel confident you always look more attractive! So don't worry too much about what you think is "cruise wear" and just have a fabulous time!

IMHO nice jeans look better than some polyester pants or clothes that people drape themselves with and think they are dressed appropriately for the occasion.

countdown.pl?image=Beach-10&name=&date=4-5-2010&text=&ship=Carnival Destiny

This point is always brought up sooner or later by those defending jeans. But.......no one here is saying that polyester pantsuits are appropriate either.

See post #111.

This point is always brought up sooner or later by those defending jeans. But.......no one here is saying that polyester pantsuits are appropriate either.

See post #111.

Actually, if you look around the dining room on a casual night, I would say a large percentage of women do think that that is what is appropriate. Either that or "dockers" which I think are way more casual than a great pair of jeans and not flattering on anyone.

Actually, if you look around the dining room on a casual night, I would say a large percentage of women do think that that is what is appropriate. Either that or "dockers" which I think are way more casual than a great pair of jeans and not flattering on anyone.

I totally agree....

What I said is that no one here is saying polyester is appropriate and/or dressier than jeans. It's not exactly an "either/or" question.

I'm just curious. Exactly what is it about jeans that is offensive to people. Is it the fabric, denim? Or the cut? Because all of my jeans are cut better and fit better than someone wearing a pair of khakis or polyester pants with an elastic waist.

Why is there no uproar over polyester?

I don't have a problem with anyone else's choice and would never say a particular fabric should not be allowed and don't get why others do??:confused:

You didn't read the debate about the second outift ;)

Honestly, after reading this thread, I'm not even sure I want to go any more. I'm sailing on Carnival Conquest in three weeks on my first ever cruise (age 64), and this is depressing me. I'm retired, and I haven't owned any dressy clothes, or dresses for that matter, in years, and I never wear heels. I have no intention of spending money on clothes that I won't wear again. I have some nice pants and great tops, and I'm planning on eating in the MDR and dressing in accordance with Carnival's printed dress code. I'm sorry if anyone will be offended :(

Although you're probably long gone by now (I haven't visited this thread in a couple weeks)....do not worry. There really are no fashion police onboard most cruise ships today and the trend is that just about anything goes. Your clothing will not stand out any more than the next persons, unless they are very eye-catching. Either way, nicely dressed or sloppy or just more imaginative than most people would dare.

Two more things (for now ;))

Lois, you really aren't 52 :eek: It seems as though it was just a few weeks ago we were helping you celebrate 50! It just doesn't stop, does it :o (older than Lois here).

Amandaooooo, Please get yourself a better sunscreen and/or use it more frequently! Sunburns/tans do so much damage, be kind to your skin :)

Two more things (for now ;))

Lois, you really aren't 52 :eek: It seems as though it was just a few weeks ago we were helping you celebrate 50! It just doesn't stop, does it :o (older than Lois here).

Amandaooooo, Please get yourself a better sunscreen and/or use it more frequently! Sunburns/tans do so much damage, be kind to your skin :)

Hi Kathy:)...and everytime I wear those earrings I think of you:D

Yes, 52 next month.

Archived