Be Truthful Now,who Really Skips Muster Drills?

cruiserforlife

Some years ago there was an explosion in the engine room on the Tropicale while it was sailing in the Carribean. While *to the best of my recollection* nobody was killed, there were injuries, and the ship had to be towed back to port. The whole thing could have been a bloody disaster.

A&E had aired a documentary several weeks ago on the cruise industry, and the Tropicale incident was part of the story.

Michael

[quote name='MikeNJ1109']Some years ago there was an explosion in the engine room on the Tropicale while it was sailing in the Carribean. While *to the best of my recollection* nobody was killed, there were injuries, and the ship had to be towed back to port. The whole thing could have been a bloody disaster.

A&E had aired a documentary several weeks ago on the cruise industry, and the Tropicale incident was part of the story.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Thanks

The Celebration also had a fire and lost power.

Scott

[quote name='DesrtDrmr']We've been told at Princess musters that they check all the cabins during the drill. I don't know if it's true, but I have heard it announced several times. It sounds as if some of you don't bother to go, so you would know.....DO they check your cabins????
Princess musters are much less wearing than those of other lines we've been on, where we have to stand on the deck, having roll taken, waiting, waiting for all to show up................BUT, I must admit, I feel a little more secure knowing where MY lifeboat is on those lines.........I haven't a clue on Princess! What if I couldn't GET to whatever lounge the muster is held in? (My DH says I worry about EVERYTHING!!) :D[/QUOTE] [font='Comic Sans MS']The reason Princess musters you in lounges are really two. First, being on deck could be dangerous due to either fire or weather – the lounges are considered safe indoor areas. Second, just as you question what would happen if you couldn’t get to your muster station, it is possible that a survival craft you have been assigned to might be disabled or unreachable. Princess doesn’t assign a survival craft until it’s deemed that the ship must be abandoned – then they are assigned as they are available.[/font]
[font='Comic Sans MS'][/font]
[font='Comic Sans MS'][/font][font='Comic Sans MS']If you can’t get to your muster station in an emergency, go to one of the others. Assigned muster stations are a way of keeping order on board – but in a real emergency if one is not available, another will do. And since some people can miss the muster drill by staying in sipping champagne, apparently they don't check the cabins as they say they do. [/font]
[font='Comic Sans MS'][QUOTE] [font=Verdana]The Celebration also had a fire and lost power.[/font][/QUOTE]
[font='Comic Sans MS']Don’t forget Celebrity’s old [/font][font='Comic Sans MS']Meridian[/font][font='Comic Sans MS'] – after she left the Celebrity fleet and was sailing for her new owners in [/font][font='Comic Sans MS']Southeast Asia[/font][font='Comic Sans MS'], she caught fire and burned…and sank. There were no casualties, but everyone on board was obviously evacuated. Then there’s HAL’s first Prisendam which while on its way from [/font][font='Comic Sans MS']Alaska[/font][font='Comic Sans MS'] to [/font][font='Comic Sans MS']Japan[/font][font='Comic Sans MS'] caught fire and burned – again everyone had to be evacuated from the ship – and in this case spend time until rescue in survival craft surrounded by freezing water. [/font]
[font='Comic Sans MS'][/font]
[font='Comic Sans MS']Accidents happen and passengers are musterd mored than we'd like to think - it's irresponsible not to go to these drills no matter how many times you've been. Practice makes perfect.[/font]
[/font]

[quote name='DesrtDrmr']We've been told at Princess musters that they check all the cabins during the drill. I don't know if it's true, but I have heard it announced several times. It sounds as if some of you don't bother to go, so you would know.....DO they check your cabins???? [/QUOTE]

Sure. Remember that little infrared heat sensor in your cabin? They know if you don't attend.

But, they don't bother to come and get you -- you're just added to the list of people who, in the event of an emergency, get pushed into the deep, black, frigid and unending ocean rather than assisted into a lifeboat.

Our daughter worked for Princess for several years and we would cruise with her...not knowing if we would have our own cabin or have to share with her. Usually she would know before we got there..but one time we didn't have a cabin assignment until after we sailed and after muster. We went to muster with her...without life jackets...you would not believe some of the rude comments about us...not having life jackets...were we susposed to be where we were. My thoughts were basically somebody didn't have enough happy pills before they got on the ship!

The last cruise I went on...I passed out at muster...hit the deck...woke up with people staring at me. Our friends that we were traveling with said nobody knew what to do if we sank 'cause they were all looking at me... :eek:

Sure. Remember that little infrared heat sensor in your cabin? They know if you don't attend.

But, they don't bother to come and get you -- you're just added to the list of people who, in the event of an emergency, get pushed into the deep, black, frigid and unending ocean rather than assisted into a lifeboat.

:D :D :D :D :D

Well, when they don't wait for us to get on board before they have the drill...it kinda makes me feel it's really not that important to them! So, that makes it not real important for me..as if the ship starts to go down or has an emergency I won't remember what or where I;m supposed to go or do anyway...BUT, I do feel guilty!!! I promise to do better next time!

Didn't they hold a "make-up" drill the next morning? Usually the lines do ... for late embarking passengers or ones that for some reason or another didn't make the regular one.

Blue skies ...

--rita

First of all, I hate the muster drill and my wife hates it more. But we ALWAYS attend because its the right thing to do.

We were on Jewel of the Seas Jan. 2 and had to stand out there for about 15 more minutes while they checked cabins and took role call because some people just don't get it and stayed in their cabins. So while some jerk was in his cabin sipping champagne, we were standing on a hot deck in life jackets crammed together like sardines.

How rude and inconsiderate of someone to put everyone else in that position. We wanted to get it over with but were stuck until all cabins were accounted for. As some of the late jerks finally showed, I wanted to put a foot up some butts for doing this to us. They wasted my time and their own, because they had to show up anyway.

So I guess you can consider this a flame.

Didn't they hold a "make-up" drill the next morning? Usually the lines do ... for late embarking passengers or ones that for some reason or another didn't make the regular one.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Nope! Never mentioned it...

I saw Captain Haynes, who piloted United 232 in Sioux City, speak. After that, I even listen to airline safety talks at take off. If you read his story, I don't think you'll mind going to a muster drill.

http://yarchive.net/air/airliners/dc10_sioux_city.html

I haven't read his story (I will, though -- looks interesting), but I've heard that nearly everyone who is involved in an air crash attempts to go back out the door they came in, rather than out the nearest exit. That's just one of the reasons it's important to pay attention to the safety briefing. It's one last opportunity to get your instinct out of your head, and a bit of logic in.

:D six cruises under my belt and i have been to every muster drill but one.......was very very late boarding the ship...the drill was going on while we made our way up the ramp.they had us sign a paper stating our late boarding.this happened on voyager of the seas last year. i do not mind doing the muster drill and have had fun meeting people inline as we waited.................stephanie from beantown:D

I guess almost everyone responding to this post doesn't live in New York City. Having lived through 9/11 and the Blackout, I take these type of drills a lot of more seriously now. I attend fire drills and ask specific questions as do most people I work and live with. You just never know and life is too short.

In a true emergency, the crew will know who attended the muster drill, just as the the flight crew on an airline will know who was attentive to the pre-flight safety briefing. (Yes, they are paying attention to those of you frequent fliers who think you are above listening to it for the 8,000th time.) If you and another passenger in a similar situation or in similar condition are in need of care, you will be triaged below the passenger who was attentive, because you are less likely to survive. If you can live (so to speak) with that, then skip the muster drill and enjoy the 30 minutes of free time!

How absurd... To think that the crew will pay attention to who was at the drill and then assign care based on that observation does not make sense. Sorry I have worked for a major cruise line and everyone's life is important. Even the bozos who miss the drill will get the same treatment. Also I just spoke to my cousin who is a flight attendant and he said the same thing. EVERYONE gets the same care and treatment no matter what....

For those who are curious, the drill is broadcast throughout the ship, including into staterooms. The TV also broadcasts the videotaped drill. It is virtually impossible to entirely miss the drill, even when sipping champagne in your stateroom or on your balcony.

You cannot be in your muster station when you are in your cabin during the drill. Nor can you be considered the sort of passenger who takes the crew's instruction well when you are in your cabin during the drill.

I'm curious...are you as flexible and casual in your opinion about drilling the crew as you are for yourself and your fellow passengers? After all, who would know the drill better than your crew?

I'll let you enjoy the last word. :)

Archived