Secret To Getting Connecting Rooms

3Blessings

I was wondering for those that have gotten connecting rooms, what is your secret? We've been looking online at various website and they only have one part of connecting rooms. We have three kids (10, 8, & 5) and want to be able to relax when they're in bed but are having a hard time finding connecting rooms. We are looking at going on the Dream in November of this year or February of next year. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:)

Booking EARLY is the secret!!!! I wouldn't do it online---you should CALL and talk to a representative...they have more "inventory" than is shown online. And, it's much easier to tell them what you want, and book it!

Ditto - the early bird gets the rooms.

Also know that for booking purposes, there will need to be one adult in each cabin.

We also have 3 kids and love connecting cabins. This is what I usually do:

(1) Check the deck plan of various cruises. Not all cruises have connecting cabins.

(2) Book with a traveling agent (can be from some on-line agencies), and tell him/her explicitly that you want connecting cabins. While deciding the cabins with the agent, check the cruise deck plan to make sure that your cabins are actually connected.

(3) Yes, book very very early to make sure connecting cabins are available.

Also know that for booking purposes, there will need to be one adult in each cabin.

Ditto Ditto about booking early. At least on RCI, as long as the rooms are next to each other or across from each other there does not have to be an adult in each. We booked our kids into their own room no problem.

We also have 3 kids and love connecting cabins. This is what I usually do:

(1) Check the deck plan of various cruises. Not all cruises have connecting cabins.

(2) Book with a traveling agent (can be from some on-line agencies), and tell him/her explicitly that you want connecting cabins. While deciding the cabins with the agent, check the cruise deck plan to make sure that your cabins are actually connected.

(3) Yes, book very very early to make sure connecting cabins are available.

Agree with this but, especially when dealing with a second room (ie ressie #) I would NOT use a TA, I would book directly with the cruise line. You have much more control over the reservations vs having a TA to make any changes/adjustments for you.

We are going on our first cruise in March. We have 4 children and I had to have connecting cabins to feel at ease. I used a travel agent I know well. She was a huge help and booked two connecting cabins for us. Her advice was to book them now (a few months back) and not wait as connecting cabins can be hard to get.

Just wanted to mention that some ships (example: Royal Caribbean's Voyager and Freedom class) have a few Balcony/Interior connecting and a few Balcony/Oceanview connecting. Nice for the parents to have a Balcony stateroom, with the kids in a connecting stateroom at a lower rate.

Our TA always books the connecting rooms for us, but we also book WAY, WAY out in advance. We can open the doors and stroll back and forth and on some of the ships, we've been able to have the separation wall on the balcony removed. Booking in advance and using a good TA helps tremendously. Good luck and have a great cruise.

This wouldn't be a tip on how to GET connecting staterooms, but once you do get them, make sure you tell whoever you're booking with to put you down as "DO NOT UPGRADE" -- otherwise, you may not end up KEEPING your connected staterooms since you never know where the cruiseline might decide to move you at their discretion.

On Carnival -if the cabins are within three doors of each other an adult does not have to be booked into the cabin.

We've been looking online at various website and they only have one part of connecting rooms.

I'm not sure what you mean by "they have only one part of connecting rooms." Please explain. What problems have you had getting connecting cabins?

If you look at deck plans for the ships, they usually show connecting rooms with a symbol, such as an arrow between the two rooms. We always check, then ask our TA for those rooms. We usually book inside cabins, with one of the cabins having pull-down upper berths for all of the kids. On our upcoming Voyager, we have 4 kids in one cabin, connecting to another cabin for the 2 parents.

Also, you can book more than one ship, and then decide which one to go on. You have to pay the deposit for each one, but it is fully refundable -- except for the non-refundable option available on Carnival. My point is: Book now, and optionally cancel later. It is not always an option to "book later".

Meaning of two rooms that are connecting only one of them is available. This is the biggest problem we've faced.

I'm not sure what you mean by "they have only one part of connecting rooms." Please explain. What problems have you had getting connecting cabins?

If you look at deck plans for the ships, they usually show connecting rooms with a symbol, such as an arrow between the two rooms. We always check, then ask our TA for those rooms. We usually book inside cabins, with one of the cabins having pull-down upper berths for all of the kids. On our upcoming Voyager, we have 4 kids in one cabin, connecting to another cabin for the 2 parents.

Also, you can book more than one ship, and then decide which one to go on. You have to pay the deposit for each one, but it is fully refundable -- except for the non-refundable option available on Carnival. My point is: Book now, and optionally cancel later. It is not always an option to "book later".

Meaning of two rooms that are connecting only one of them is available. This is the biggest problem we've faced.

OK. Well, repeating the main theme: "Book Early". Like I said, you can always cancel and get your refund back provided you book a fully refundable fare. Good luck.

I just booked 2 connecting BA cabins, plus one right next door, for us in November, on the Jewel. The discount TA I tried booking with couldn't find connecting balcony cabins for us, but NCL had no problem, and when the discount TA called back 2 days later with connecting cabins, I didn't want to give up the location of the ones I booked to save $.

Archived