Hats?

blitznbobs

I'm going on a cruise in E. Carribean in 4 (count em) weeks time and I am a bit of a hat addict -- but if this isn't a stupid question - which it probably is - will a hat blow off on deck??? and if so How do you protect your head from sun burn (I have a full head of hair but have in the past got sunburnt where my hair parts -very unpleasant) any tips???

Blitz

I wear a black cotton sunhat that I bought from Target some years ago. It fits snugly and I haven't had issues with it coming loose or blowing off in the wind--but if it did, I'm only out about $7. A baseball cap might be a good option if you only want it for sun protection and not high fashion, or if your hair is long enough to tuck up under a more stylish hat, you could secure it with a hatpin or bobby pin.

Yes, a hat will definitely blow off your head if the wind is strong enough. And no, it is not a stupid question.

I wear a visor and plenty of sunscreen on my scalp and hair, especially on my part. Of course, I don't stay in the sun too long, I'm not looking to get a tan.

I don't think I could tolerate a hat that is tight enough to stay on in the wind.

I don't think it's about tightness, but about crown depth and brim width. Wind catches more on a wide brim and if a hat has a shallow crown, it just isn't as secure. Flexible paper straws resist wind better than harder straws, too.

I didn't have a problem with the hat I wore, but if you're concerned, I'd use a hatpin or pin in narrow ties or an elastic that you can put under your hair in the back. Or sew in a comb. It doesn't need to keep it firmly in place, just keep it from going far if you get lift off!

You might try a Tilley hat. Google it. They are outstanding hats! Enjoy your cruise. :D

Tilly hats can blow off too even with the string tied. Walking off the Queen Mary 2 the wind whipped around the bow of the ship and my hat skittered off. Twice I almost got it but then it made a spectacle of itself as it floated majestically out in the ocean. (I really did think about jumping in after it but you know thankfully I DID THINK!:eek:)

Anyway Tilly hats are extra nice and worth the price even if they don't replace them forever anymore.

Here is what I have done when riding in my husband's miata, top-down over a windy bridge:

1) Popped on my favorite straw or lightweight fabric hat, looped a long silk scarf around the brim, tied the scarf as snugly as comfortable, left the ends hanging in the back, and discreetly safety-pinned one end of the scarf to my shirt collar. It did blow off once, but I caught it and re-adjusted.:)

and

2) Wore the silk scarf over my head, folded into a triangle, pretending to be Grace Kelly, tying the scarf under my chin, or at the back of my neck, if the scarf is large enough. Pop the hat on my head, and again pin the hat to the scarf, but this time place the safety pin in the fabric band inside the hat so it can't be seen or won't damage the hat straw or fabric.

Archived