Excursions: Le Havre, Dover, Rotterdam, Hamburg

QuitMyDayJob

Does anyone have any suggestions for accessible excursions for Le Havre France; Dover, England; Rotterdam Holland; or Hamburg Germany? One in our party is in a wheelchair but can walk a short distance as long as it is not up steps. Getting into a bus for instance is out of the question.

We are sailing on Celebrity and none of the ship excursions indicate that they are accessible--which is hard to believe.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jane

Your stop in France is really the jumping off point for Paris. Dover doesn't have much in the area, other than Canterbury, so it's also the jumping off point for London. Sorry, I can't help with the other two.

One thing to understand is that nearly all tours involve getting onto and off large buses. If this person cannot transfer into a bus, then the only other choice is to book private tours with a car and driver. I do this all the time as I perfer to be able to schedule my own time and visit the sites I want. The one thing you'll find in London is, they treat those in wheelchairs very well. If you go to places like Westminster Cathedral, you won't have to stand in line, and believe me the lines can get very long, and you won't have to pay the admission fees.

FYI, the drive from Dover to Central London can be as long as two hours, maybe a little less, depending on traffic. And I would not recommend the trains, as they are not that easily accessible.

When we were in LeHarve we used John Flaherty at http://www.handmaidtours.com to provide us a tour to the Normandy beaches. He provided us with a minivan. I think four of us went with him on this tour. He is an historian and an expert on the WWII battles. We saw the US and British cemeteries, the invasion beaches, the Pegasus bridge as well as having lunch in a cafe near the shore. He also provided us with brochures to take home. He speaks fluent French having lived in France for many years although he is British. He helped me as a slow walker and we avoided many steps but it is not the US and without the ADA there are some areas that are a little difficult.

Thank you both for the response--just what I needed.

Katisdale: Would you say that the tour you took with John Flaherty was possible in a wheelchair? You say he helped you avoid many steps, but does that mean you did have to walk up some steps?

Thanks,

Jane

As a resident of Deal near Dover I have to say there are loads of great things to see and do near Dover. The castles at Dover and at Deal are brilliant and much of the sites are accessible if not all... just look up English Heritage for info.

Or you can come to Deal, a great little traditional seaside town with a good pier for a stroll and good views, lots of lovely cafes and restaurants.

I suggest you take a taxi - there are some people mover type taxis suitable for wheelchairs.

Alternatively, just near the cruise terminal there is a good area to stroll, with a level paved seafront, an outlet shopping place (De Bradlei Mill ) and pleasant places to eat and drink. Walk in the direction of the town then divert to the right towards the hoverport, you will see the seafront walk.

Enjoy!

I think you could do a regular wheel chair but not a scooter or electric chair. I have big step problems and in two areas, Pont du Hoc where the ground was very uneven and at the American cemetery where there was a long walk (I was using a rollator then) with a few steps (maybe 3) at the granite memorial. I stopped in both areas while the group went a little further. At Pont du Hoc I stayed near a bunker and read the explanations until the group returned. At the American cemetery I read the inscriptions and was really moved by the young age of the fallen. Mr. Flaherty can give you good advice about accessibility if you contact him. I got the feeling he wants to give a good tour. I told him about what I could and could not do and he responded with what he could provide. When we were there, 2005 maybe?, he did not have a lift van but rather a standard mini-van like a RAV-4 for example although I don't think it was that exact car but about the same size. There was enough room for the collapsed rollator. I now use a travelscoot and I think it would have taken that as well but broken down.

Archived