Off Topic-Did Pam Conover Really Leave Cunard?

JohnEZ

Conover no longer works for Cunard Line. She is now SVP of a new area at Carnival Corporation called "Shared Services". Basically, she looks for ways to combine synergies at the various brands with the goal of saving money. It's a job for a Bean Counter, which is what she is. I don't think she was ever cut out to be head of a major cruise line.

Ernie

Cunard basically no longer exists as a corporate entity. They are now part of P&O Princess Cruises International, their UK operations having been merged with P&O Cruises in Southampton and their US operations with Princess Cruises in Los Angeles. Peter Ratcliffe is the CEO of P&O Princess Cruises International and an executive director of Carnival Corporation & plc. As such he is also CEO of Cunard (in a somewhat unusual arrangement, there is no President or other single person from Cunard reporting to Mr. Ratcliffe, as there is with, for instance, Princess).

After Cunard's operations were merged with those of P&O Princess, Pamela Conover became Carnival Corporation & plc's Senior Vice President for Carnival Shared Services. Carnival Shared Services is, I believe, based out of Southampton and is responsible, as the name suggests, for various services that are used by all the Carnival divisions (Carnival Cruise Lines, P&O Princess, Holland America, and Costa, and the various sub-brands thereof). As an example, I believe one of the operations that comes under Carnival Shared Services is Carnival Corporate Shipbuilding, responsible for managing all the ships under construction for all of the various Carnival companies.

• 5 months later...

I read in an online article that she was replaced by Peter Ratcliffe as CEO of Cunard because they thought she was too lax about problems with QM2 initially. Her view apparently was that these were natural for a new ship and would iron themselves out. Whether that is the real reason or not, who knows.

Archived