day room in fort lauderdale morning of cruise

california7

i read about something called a day room. not sure what that means. does anyone know if any hotels offer a low price on getting a room for a couple hours the morning of the cruise since we fly in at 7am and can not get on the ship till 11:30 (and may not get into your room until later) It would be great to get some sleep before we board since we will be on a red eye.

You can call hotels directly and ask, but I honestly do not feel you will have enough time to do this. If your flight actually arrives on time at 7:00, you will have to take time to get off the plane, pick up your luggage, etc. That could take an hour or more. Then, add on the time to get to the hotel.

Then, how long will it take to check in and get to sleep? By the time you fell asleep, you'd be getting right back up to go to the ship.

It's true, that would be a waste of money. You know how long it takes to get off the plane, then you'll have to schlepp to baggage claim, wait for your bags....at that point, I'd go find something to eat, a cup of coffee, etc....then I'd get whatever transportation, and head to the ship. If boarding begins around 11 or so, you can find a quiet spot in a public area to nap until your cabin is ready....luckily, our cabins have almost always been open to us when we boarded.

Or... do what friends of ours from CA did (they arrived FLL at 7am)- join your roll call and make friends. Then wait for the offers from people who are overnighting the day before for you to come to their hotel and drop your bags. Have breakfast at their hotel, before going shopping for whatever essentials you may still need for the cruise (wine :D). Return to hotel to repack your bags and then off to the ship !! ;)

Archived